Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Shotgun shells and plastics (Read 3497 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Shotgun shells and plastics
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I believe there are steel loads with fiber wads and cardboard shot protectors , sa to how well they pattern I have no idea.
Russian shells come with horsehair wads and no shot protectors , which is why Russian shotguns usually come choked tight as a fish's . The horse hair wads are because the Russians eat a lot of horse meat and plastic wads can crack or crumble under sever frost conditions .

Paper cases tend to swell when wet , this is more of a problem in pumps and semis than doubles .

Fiber/paper wads can , rarely, cause what the British gunmakers call "rivelling " ( old english word for ripples) this is a series of ring bulges along the length of the barrel, made from the inside , the exact cause is not known , but it is suspected the wad goes down the bore in a juddering stop start manner , where the wads stops for a micro second and pressure builds up , nothing to do with liquids in the bore .

The wads for tungsten based shot are so hard and thick they could choke a cow , and take ages to break down .

If you don't want plastic cases or plastic wads make sure you have the $ to pay for paper etc because they will vastly increase  the price of waterfowl shooting .

as for drifting cases , put a catch net out in front of your Mai mai , and use a pick up stick , I got a couple of rare earth magnets from the local Jaycar shop for $18 and screwed them to the end of an old 3 piece cleaning rod , works just fine .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:19am
Print Post  
I have brought a few cases of paper shells in the past few years.....they cost little more than the same load in a plastic shell.

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #17 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Mai mai supplies were doing felt wad, paper cartridges in 20 gauge.

I have shot a fair amount of them, seem to give more of a push than a sharp recoil, maybe they get down loaded a bit to prevent that nasty lead from compressing Wink Cheesy

Oh no Shocked did  I just turn this into another lead / steel debate.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
no, felt wads do not seal as well as the plastic, so the velocities are lower and the recoil less . The patterns are not as consistant either

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Miroku wrote on Aug 8th, 2017 at 3:50pm:
no, felt wads do not seal as well as the plastic, so the velocities are lower and the recoil less . The patterns are not as consistant either

When we reloaded using felt wads i thought we used a plastic gas seal under the wad ? However it was another thing to get lined up correctly to get a good seal.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #20 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Ive loaded fibre wads, never used a plastic washer. always used a cardboard under seal and a cardboard overseal on top of the shot

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #21 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  

https://www.google.co.nz/search?biw=1302&bih=659&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=plas...

This sort of thing loaded by a Lee Single stage loader. Powder dipper and shot dippers, no weighing. All in plastic [or paper]  straight walled cases.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Is that for reloading steel?

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #23 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Re the link i posted above, are these for steel, Sorry i dont know.

We used these for loading lead back in the dark ages, 40 years ago ish ? We loaded straight walled plastic cases and sometimes paper cases if we knew they would not get wet  Shocked Shocked. dont go there.

From memory the govt introduced some sort of sales tax on loaded ammo but not on components and reloading was considerably cheaper than tailor made shells. Tapered cases were like gold !

Heck times have changed.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #24 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
No Bloody modify button ! Angry

The tapered cases were shot reloaded , shot reloaded, infinitum until they were split from crimping to often and then a mate with an auto would take them for shooting out the lake where the chances of recovering your cases was low . Cheesy Angry

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Federal currently load 12 gauge trap loads with paper cases, they are very popular with shooters in the USA,as they are reported to give somewhat softer recoil than similar loadings in plastic cases.Have not seen any on the NZ market but hopefully some will be imported in future.

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Paper trap shells still have to be raked up and taken to the dump though.
If the shells were left to rot on our gun clubs feilds the fat prick who mows the lawns would moan his arse off.
Oh yeah.....I mow the lawns... Tongue

As long as you can laugh at yourself you will never cease to be amused.

IP Logged

The Creeper

Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Made me chuckle the comment about the lawn guy wingmaster ....was going to say doesn't Warrick mow some of the grass at club??....oh that's right one and the same!!

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:59am
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:51am:
Federal currently load 12 gauge trap loads with paper cases, they are very popular with shooters in the USA,as they are reported to give somewhat softer recoil than similar loadings in plastic cases.Have not seen any on the NZ market but hopefully some will be imported in future.

Many years ago I purchased 50 cases of Federal paper case paper wad trap 7 off a cruise ship , they used to have trap shooting off the stern , then throw the paper empties into the sea . They didn't have any passengers interested in shooting so they dumped off the ammo and guns super cheap to get rid of the hassle of the paperwork needed in each new country and port .
It was great ammo patterned well with mild recoil and the powder burnt with a distinctive pleasant smell

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:59am:
GDMP wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:51am:

Many years ago I purchased 50 cases of Federal paper case paper wad trap 7 off a cruise ship , they used to have trap shooting off the stern , then throw the paper empties into the sea . They didn't have any passengers interested in shooting so they dumped off the ammo and guns super cheap to get rid of the hassle of the paperwork needed in each new country and port .
It was great ammo patterned well with mild recoil and the powder burnt with a distinctive pleasant smell

Nothing beats the smell of freshly fired paper shells . Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards