Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Shotgun shells and plastics (Read 3503 times)
RGH
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Shotgun shells and plastics
Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Plastic shotgun shell waste - why are the shell wads plastic? I live on the coast and our beaches are covered not only with shotgun shells but the inner wads too after duck shooting season. Why the fuk aren't the wads made bio degradible. I'm so over the amount of plastic crap that ends up on our beaches that's washed down the rivers. I watched Redstag program last night and just count the number of plastic wads and shells left in that lake?! They don't go away, they're there forever!!!

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Re: Shotgun shells and plastics
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Plastic pollution was a major subject of discussion at the NZ Fish and Game council meeting I attended over the weekend, We are already looking at alternatives and how quickly we can have them in place.

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
it would be nice to see a biodegradle wad, cant see plastic being replaced the pressure with steel shot i believe wont allow it . Maybe we should go back to paper lead shot...Now thats a idea .

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
the wads have no anti UV in the plastic ( titanium oxide ) over a period of time they break down and crumble away ( depending on the intensity of the UV ) Ive often wondered if NZ could not come up with a pressed wood fibre wad that could use waste wood and be biodegradable .
the fibre wads used now are no good for steel and throw lousy patterns with lead as they dont produce a good gas seal

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 6:08am
Print Post  
This might sound silly but we walk around our pond with a hand held fishing net scooping wads out of water at the end of season,also we have put those extendable magnets from super cheap on a wee pole,so when there's a slow shooting time we have a wee pick up of shells,Also how do gun clubs get on with the wad problem?,I know its over land,As suggested maybe little old NZ could come up with a bio wad,we do have a ammo company here in NZ and many passionate hunters,As for that hunters club program,if my info is correct they were shooting on a private pond,Its slack not picking shells up,Maybe wads could be made a fluoresce colour so easily to see on land and so picking them up would be easier??

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
a lot of gun clubs mow their grass areas out in front. As I said previously the wads eventually become brittle and crumble away to nothing. mowing speeds this process up. speaking as one who has worked in the plastics industry for many years. the producers of the colourful cases could go a long way to helping , by not putting any UV protection in their plastic. The case would then break down and the steel rust away

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I always pick up my shells, not necessarly on the day but at some stage and during summer when the pond is low I pick up all the old ones.  It took me a couple of years to pick up all the ones left over from the last bloke who shot there.

Wads are a much harder problem because they are more dispersed.  Not sure I agree with the crumbling away to nothing theory because our oceans are filled with millions of tons of microplastics.  Wads wouldn't be a very small part of this problem though as most of it is just rubbish that ends up in the ocean.

Personally I think we should be going to waxed paper shells, fiber wads and rock salt and pepper corn shot so it's all bio degradable and your duck is seasoned as well as dead.  Either that or laser beam shotguns.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Does the laser beam shotgun cook em as well?

IP Logged

Wingmaster
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
a lot of gun clubs mow their grass areas out in front.

I mow the grass at our club.I guess there would be 15-20,000 wads every month shot off.
I mow the little bastards up and they disappear fairly quickly with a good chopping.

As long as you can laugh at yourself you will never cease to be amused.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
ReelLuckyBouy wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:05pm:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=burnt+duck&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=t7TMQVtR3...

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
wads have very thin sections and the UV breaks the poly down. ive picked them up at our club and had them crumble like crackers in my hand

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
ReelLuckyBouy wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 7:05pm:

No it just singes the feathers off and crisps up the skin.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

BIG RED
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Its not hard to pick up empty shells from after a shoot.
It doesn't matter weather its a field, pond or lake.
We always pick up our empties whenever we row out to pick up some downed birds. Takes no more than a minute at most and stops them from drifting away to make an eyesore and a problem elsewhere on the lake.

Wads are a bit more trickier, but once again a bit of time walking or rowing the pond edge after the shoot or at the end of the weekend and you can pick up all that end up gathered along the downwind edge.

IMHO Its mostly laziness and a lack of care for the environment that causes  some of the mentioned issues.

IP Logged

Fat Lab

Duck n buck fever

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Just use a black powder shotgun then there'll only the wads to pick up  and you can use lead shot in all gauges  Wink if what I've read is true

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I have always lamented the demise of the old paper cases used when I was a boy.......they faded away fairly quickly when exposed to the elements.A waxed paper case,with some type of tough tubular cardboard or fiber cup wad,would work well if it could be made tough enough to protect the bore from the ravages of steel shot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards