Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) wallabies (Read 18824 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: wallabies
Reply #75 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 8:02am:
ive found the perfect round for wallabys,,90 gr hollow point in 264,i shoot all in the guts and they just collapse on spot,,even better than a head shot

that sounds worse that it is..... using a fully fragmenting load/something with varmit on box ...a body shot will send enough bits into vitals to down these critters quickly. spine/kidneys/liver in particular are going to be hit and cause complete shutdown pretty darn quick...dont try it with fmj or your premium deer loads though as it wont end well... if wobbly is upright the vitals are in top say 25 % eg from between its furry paws up wards and that is usual point of aim.
that said in 25+ years of hunting them with dogs Ive never found a wounded one yet....eg one carrying a gun shot wound from someone else.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #76 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 7:43am
Print Post  
The 308 shooting Barnaul 140 sp great round for roos.The SP just exploded,hawks get well feed. Grin

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Bullie
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #77 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I shoot a 223 and use either pmc Bronx flat nose 55gr or I use federal Powershock 64gr drops them every time.  Furthest I've shot them was 660 yards and dropped them from that distance . And the pic is real cheap with is good when you going  through 30 to 40 a hunt

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #78 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:12am
Print Post  
imho AR15 is the perfect wallaby gun as it mixes the ability to take long range shots with having a realistic chance at a running shot.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #79 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
to all those folks who sent PM to have a go at the wee fellas Winkgood on ya guys there are still heaps out there,saw 40+ today and tipped a few over,the track is in great shape (huge thanks to the guys who have taken loppers/slashers etc and helped keep it open) get out and get stuck in fellas...and there is more than a few pig hunks of pork wandering around up there too,well either they are big or gay going on size of the turds..plenty of them of varied age would suggest big fella living in that area.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #80 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
was going to ask you before MD but how do they react around dogs? do they sit and wait to bolt away in last second like hares? do you take them in close range with shotgun then? or are dogs able to successfully catch them?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #81 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
they bolt...but a big bugga will grab dog and give it one hell of a hiding if it isnt smart..... a good dog giving chase will poke out way more than the one its chasing by noise alone....they pop out to see what all the fuss is about and hopefully cop a lead disprin for thier trouble....we chased/hounded them for years but now sit and snipe them,if things get slow we roll a few rocks down into gullies...landscaping and dog kennel sized one to bottom is the ultimate thrill Grin Grin
my old gsp/lab bitch caught 5 in her many years and was dynamite on possums. my current bitch isnt allowed to chase anything and had frustrating day at heel boy did I get the evil looks when wouldnt let her go for run.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #82 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Roos getting close to home now.Driving bus last night just pass Peppers and a big wallaby bouces across the highway into the entrance of the Cairns subdivision.
Chinaman sitting opposite me in the bus nearly jumped out of his seat with excitement.ooohhhh pointing his finger at the roo. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #83 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 9:10pm:
Roos getting close to home now.Driving bus last night just pass Peppers and a big wallaby bouces across the highway into the entrance of the Cairns subdivision.
Chinaman sitting opposite me in the bus nearly jumped out of his seat with excitement.ooohhhh pointing his finger at the roo. Grin Grin Grin

I hope you looked him in the eyes and said "What kangaroo?  You are hallucinating bro, those live in 'stralia"

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #84 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I shot one on Mt John last week Trout. You should be carrying a rifle.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #85 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
shhhhh eubitch might hear you and arrange a huge green rain Angry

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #86 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
I shot one on Mt John last week Trout. You should be carrying a rifle.  Grin

Ye I seen yr truck lights cruzing the tussocks. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards