Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to clean skull? (Read 2077 times)
Southendstalka
Donor Member

How to clean skull?
Jul 23rd, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Watched  A Vid today on youtube to try and get some tips.

Ive done a few skulls in my time but never been completely happy with the whiteness.

This guy mentioned to take brain out before boiling as it's very oily and will stain skull,So I will definately do this from now on.

He then put some  washing powder into the pot(american version so am looking for a nZ alternative.Then when he came to whitening skull he had a big bottle of 40% hydrogen peroxide which he said he could get from beauty salons.
Just wondering where we get hold of something that strength in NZ?
He rubbed it over the skull and left for 3 days and came out mint.

Just after peoples go to products for the process.

Cheers

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Re: How to clean skull?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Just done a couple skulls recently that came up quite nice Southendstalka,
Instead of washing powder you can use any old dish washing liquid as a de-greaser- works a charm.
I took the headskin off then boiled for around an hour with a healthy dose of dish washing liquid poured over the skull. Changed the water and added more detergent and let boil for another couple hours (no need to remove the brain) Then get stuck into it with the waterblaster until clean.
To whiten i wait until the skulls had a day or so in the sun then just paint on a coat of Hydrogen peroxide with a paintbrush ( 100ml bottle of 6% from the chemist-one bottle is enough to do quite a few skulls) make sure you leave them in the sun- this is what helps the peroxide turn them white. A couple coats and a couple days in the sun normally results in a pretty tidy white skull  Cool
plenty of ways to skin a cat but this has worked well for me  Smiley

IP Logged

m270
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Iv just done a couple of tahr and chamois heads that have come up better than any I've done before. First thing I did was soak the heads in heavily salted water over night before boiling to draw out all the blood. I boiled them with laundry powder in the water and changed the water a couple of times during the process. I let them dry and then soaked in thinners for a couple of days (20L is pretty cheap from dynamic maintainence) and then into a diluted mix of peroxide for a couple of days. They came out incredibly white. I got 20L of 35% peroxide of trademe it wasnt overly expensive and should last years

IP Logged

Southendstalka
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Thinners?Now were talking Grin

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I often boil normally with either a good helping of dishwashing detergent or washing powder to help remove grease which I find works.

Then I get a tin foil baking tray and brush on some "Baqua Shock"

You buy it in 5 ltr containers from Wrightsons for $30-$40 and it's a pool clarifier which contains peroxide and does the job nicely... you can also buy small bottles of peroxide from the chemist but they soon add up so I just bought a 5 ltr container.

I find one generous coating of "Baqua Shock" does the trick, then leave the skull in the sun for a day or two and touch up if need be.

Don't just stop there... coat the antlers in some "Danish Oil" to help bring out and preserve the staining of the antlers and once the skull is done, the antlers done... WOW  Cool

I also tend the spray the skull in a coat of Matt clear plastic to help preserve the skull and makes it easier to dust off.

Another friend told me to also soak the skull in water for a good 2-3 weeks which makes it easier for the flesh to fall off when boiling... I tried it... wife wasn't impressed about this smell coming from the garden as she thought a rat died under the house.. you need a shit load of dishwashing detergent for the pungent smell when boiling... I didn't find this method to work any easier than my normal method

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
What about older heads, so for example i have a thar head that i boiled a year or so ago, but obviously didnt boil it enough... still a few small bits andpieces on it, but in hindsight its an ok head and wouldnt mind it totally cleaned up... can you  reboil them? and then do what you guys suggest above? Or would it come apart? Cheers.... interesting ideas above.....

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
It depends but if theres old flesh and sinew stuck to it I'd soak it in water for a few hours to soften the flesh and then boil up again with detergent/washing powder to help remove the oils/fats.

You gotta be careful with boiling any head as over boiling can ruin the skull... i tend to boil for a while and then take out the skull... water blast and try and get as much flesh/sinew off as i can and then put the skull back in the pot and boil some more... it takes a while but the end result is what your after... then peroxide as mentioned above.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Awesome thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards