Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Effect of speying on bitches (Read 1519 times)
Meateater84
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Effect of speying on bitches
Jul 9th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Im looking at getting my bitch speyed to avoid the on heat dramas with my dog. I've been told it will effect her hunting drive does anyone know anything about that?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Effect of speying on bitches
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
its a myth, if anything they will improve and no down time while on heat and no distracting the males in the pack either. unless you plan on breeding then speying a bitch is a win win IMO.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
they CAN put on weight
they CAN loose a bit of drive.....mates lab really lost her drive afterwards.
we did it too our bitch on vets advice to try to calm her down...did SFA.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Makes no difference

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Did my bitch at the advice of the vets when she was only around 2-3 months old. Completely stuffed her growth, ended up with big long legs, joints, hips and knees didn't form properly and eventually had to put her down due to constant pain.

Personally wouldn't ever do it again unless had no other choice. However so long as they have had a few bleeds and are fully grown should be fine. The calming down thing is a load of rubbish to simply line vets pockets and promote council/SPCA agendas imo.

Prey drive didn't wane at all in my bitch, however would likely differ dog to dog and depending on how the surgery goes.

Personally the risk out weighs the benefit so i just leave the hounds in the kennels and go deer stalking. Can understand why the die hard pig hunters get it done if not doing the litter thing though.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Dublin, I have a few vet mates they all say to let them have a couple of heats before you get them speyed.

IP Logged

Snoop
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Makes no difference to anything.

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 1:41am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Jul 10th, 2017 at 9:43am:
Dublin, I have a few vet mates they all say to let them have a couple of heats before you get them speyed.

Yeah i know mate, i was duped early on. Was me first hound and trusted the vet at the time without thinking to look any further into it.

We live and learn!

IP Logged

Brendan
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Using Google Scholar Scientific research suggests there is no definite answer to your question.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/2326799

This paper is based upon a written survey of keepers of neutered dogs about the behaviour of 209 male and 382 female dogs.   However the main findings are food for thought:

Male dogs show behavioural changes after castration more often and more distinctly than female dogs after neutering. Behavioural problems in most cases are reduced or have even disappeared after neutering (male dogs 74%, female dogs 59%). At best, hypersexuality and connected problems are changed as expected. 49 of 80 aggressive male dogs and 25 of 47 female dogs are more gentle after neutering. 10 bitches appeared to be aggressive only after being neutered. Particularly feeding behaviour changes in 42% of the male dogs and 32% of the female dogs towards an increased intake of food, which also leads to an increase in body weight. This corresponds to decreasing activity, which is indicated by increasing time of rest (male dogs 36%, female dogs 18%) and decreasing motivation to move. Motivation for playing, watchfulness and perseverance change more seldomly and sometimes increase. The character of the neutered animals is predominantly described as "devoted, friendly and kind". Changes of behaviour following neutering depend on many influencing factors. Above all effective obedience training, but also the family situation of the owner, time factors, conditions of keeping and contact with other dogs have different impacts on the control of the individual behavioural problems.

IP Logged

HellaKeenHuntinFiend.Sthlnd
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I just got my 1.5yr bull bitch spayed 4 days ago. Had her inside since to keep her calm warm and an eye on her. She's been pissing the bed in her sleep dripping pee too she doesn't seem to have bladder control anymore. I'm worried she's got spay incontinence now from surgery. The vets never mentioned a thing about it. But apparently its a common side effect of spaying especially later in the bitches life. Has anyone else had similar symptoms directly after a spay that come right in a couple weeks or am I right being concerned? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Yep that is one of the risks of spaying. If you are lucky she might come right in a few days otherwise that's the new "normal"

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
How is your girl going now ? has she stopped her wizzing yet. Fingers crossed

IP Logged

havAgo
Just Joined

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
We had a male labx done...ruined the poor thing, now have an amstaff bitch that had pups then was speyed , she has calmed down and grown a set of ears, 6 of 1 each way as to weather it was the speying  or pups but she is a far nicer dog since.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards