Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paint curing time (Read 1075 times)
Offcut
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Paint curing time
Jun 15th, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Gidday,

I've been repairing a stress crack in the transom of my Zodiac. Ground it out, did the glass repair and am now painting. Used International Primer (1 coat) then two coats of Pre-kote. Finished with two coats of Toplac. I've got a thermostat on it running a fan heater and heat lamp holding it at 25 degrees.

My question is how long should I leave it before bolting the outboard back on? At that temp it is "dry" in a day or two but if I put the outboard back on is it going to stick? I have seen some comments that it takes up to 6 weeks to "cure". Surely I don't have to wait this long?

IP Logged

dannyboy
Donor Member

Re: Paint curing time
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Single pot aye ?

Leave it a couple days .. if you top coated it today saterday should be fine .. but being the middle of winter you may need one more day or two .. being single pot it hardens slower

If you can hold it at 25deg for as long as you can is good get some air moving over it will pull the thinners out of it and harden it faster

6 weeks is more technical hardening.. all the thinners will be gone and it would have flattened off and be hard as it will ever be .. but it will be hard enough to work with in a couple days depending on temp

One way to tell is if you put some tape on the paint then pull it off and it leaves no marks on the gloss you'll be good to go .. obviously if you know it's to soft don't do this

Been painting boats for way to long so if ya need to know more shout out
Cheers dan

"If you are gonna live life on the edge you better have good balance"

IP Logged

Offcut
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Paint curing time
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Yep, it's single pot. Thanks for that. From what I can tell, once it hits the "max overcoating time", in this case 2 days, then you can consider it cured. I'll give it till Monday then start rebuilding it.

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards