Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CVA Mountain Rifle (Read 1228 times)
Tasbay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

CVA Mountain Rifle
Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Have been looking for a Hawken type rifle in percussion for a while. Was going to get a Pedersoli Traditional Hawken as the locks Flint and percussion on my Kentucky rifle will swap back and forth. Wanted something bigger than 50cal though. Well a CVA 58cal Big Bore Mountain Rifle popped up on T/M a week or so ago so I grabbed it. It`s one of the earlier models made in the U.S.A with a Douglas 1-66 twist barrel. It shoots great.
My point to this is CVA stopped making these and their other Traditional type muzzleloaders years ago. While playing around on the computer and looking up info about my new rifle I found a site in the U.S that stock and sell original CVA parts. Seems they bought out all the old stock and have all the parts for traditional CVA rifles. I have ordered some parts so will let you know if they actually turn up.
Outfit is called:  Deer Creek Products, Waldron, Indiana U.S.A.
Their webbsite won`t let you buy off it as outside of U.S but they will take orders if you email or call them.

I know there have to be CVA rifles around NZ with at least broken main springs that some new parts would give new life to..

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: CVA Mountain Rifle
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I had an early CVA BBMR in .58 , the barrel was made by Bill Large , who was a legend in the ML barrel making world , but the lock was made in Spain and had a coil spring . It was a very accurate rifle but that horrendous modern lock kept it out of competitions involving authentic replica rifles , so I sold it to a mate who is still using it 30 years later .

L&R make a lock that will fit with a bit of internal wood removal , so there must be quality lock springs available , you get them from Track of the Wolf .

Douglas made their ML barrels with any run out indicated by the position of their name on the barrel  flat. This was then intended to be to be placed at the bottom of the barrel . This also left the outside of the barrel clean of any manufacturing marks

CVA nipples were crap and need to be replaced with Beryllium or stainless ones

It will shoot very well when you find the correct load .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Flintlock: Yes rifle seems to shoot well, with my damaged right eye and struggling to see the rear sight I can still shoot into 2 inch at 50mts with it over a sand bag. The only wording on the Barrel is Connecticut Valley Arms, Black powder only 58 cal & serial number. My understanding was these were the Douglas barrels. Some had made in U.S.A stamped on them. The lock is V leaf spring type and not coil, its been strengthened along the way with a second spring inserted inside the first. My understanding to the lock issue on these is don`t tighten the lock screws to much or to place a washer behind the lock as a spacer, this frees up the lock. The parts I have ordered are apparently on there way and at U.S $32 for a set trigger group and $65 for a percussion lock $3.00 for nipples I thought worth getting some spares.
Had a chat with the guy I bought the gun off and he used it hunting Impala and other game in South Africa and completion shooting in the U.S.A... Ok time for me to go find a Moose!!

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Parts took about a week to arrive. Original new CVA parts. Worth remembering if you have a CVA traditional type firearm. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards