Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Lead shot ban (Read 9849 times)
QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Lead shot ban
Jun 7th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Seems lead shot ban for waterfowling coming in from next year then compulsary by 2021. Exemption for 410.Might be time to buy a cheap 20 gauge soon.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Re: Lead shot ban
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Only indirectly related, but opened up a duck gizzard for the first time in years last Saturday. Had a new duck shooter with me. Lo and behold, found a pellet - and it was LEAD

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
TTTTTTTTTTT SIR P

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50am
Print Post  
To ban lead in 20ga and 16ga fair enough but to include 28ga  is going to kill the use of anyone using a 28ga. I think theres hardly anyone using 28ga on game birds anyway ive never seen a hunter with one.There might be alot of .410 getting sold in the next 4 years if kids can knock down ducks with them a adult with a .410 should have no trouble. Smiley

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50am:
To ban lead in 20ga and 16ga fair enough but to include 28ga  is going to kill the use of anyone using a 28ga. I think theres hardly anyone using 28ga on game birds anyway ive never seen a hunter with one.There might be alot of .410 getting sold in the next 4 years if kids can knock down ducks with them a adult with a .410 should have no trouble. Smiley

yes big sales coming up in the south island yes 28 should have been included ,

i think its going to be

1/3rd  back to 12g
1/6th toying  on 410, 
1/3rd keeping to 20 bore, Smiley Wink Kiss
1/6th  bent on ether way

so the gun shops are winning ether way things go

i also think, lots of thinking about it this  morning as my  day of lol ,

lots of winged birds as people play with the 410 and steel out of 20 bores ,

ok some really good shooters are going to be able to get ok results out of the 410 but they will be the good shots anyway

but the others that will be playing with it are going to have a lot of lost birds , same goes for the steel as par normal

as a 28 bore  shooter its not going to bother me as ducks are a small part of my hunting  and the 28 is totally totally great on pheasants , and i just hope that the competition in ammo in this country to the whos whys and where fours of this move still bring in there excellent priced and quietly ammo for we who shoot the magnificent 28 bore

Wink as a 20 gauge shooter i dont shoot that much duck  over water so not really a biggy it may cost me 50 or 75 bucks on new ammo

i have worked out the whos whys and where fors on it  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

as i say that in the top of this page good luck all yea southlanders as i think theirs big sales in 410s heading your ways  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

you have certainly loss a great opportunity of bring the 28 bore to  its proper place

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I'm waiting for the 20 gauge sales...looking at a sbs 20

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hope lead is banned, nothing wrong with steel, pattern different loads in different chokes and you may be surprised. Takes up a bit of time but is worth it. Have found a lot of steel loads pattern really badly but once a good one is found it is very much equal to a good lead pattern. Best loads for me have mostly been Falcon.

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:35am
Print Post  
puddleduk wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 9:22pm:
Hope lead is banned, nothing wrong with steel, pattern different loads in different chokes and you may be surprised. Takes up a bit of time but is worth it. Have found a lot of steel loads pattern really badly but once a good one is found it is very much equal to a good lead pattern. Best loads for me have mostly been Falcon.

yes , i dont have a problem with the concept, but  lots of mainly southerners do and a rear opportunity with increasing the  numbers of 28 bores has been lost , which is  a far better gauge than 410 could passably ever be, WELL EVER WILL BE   ,  
and i believe this was done with out consideration or thought,
considering it all follows those that follow the   american flag ???/on the subject ,

and has been driven by a following of one whom mostly shoots vast amounts of   lead over paddocks and goes over water just a few  times for the photo shoots per season,  but thats politics  Sad

and of course with those that follow that said flags ways  i do have slight ??? s about how much of this is being  driven by those in the  industry  whom i question  mit not have the majority of 28 bore ammunition supply's in nz  Huh

just how much has a certain groups influence in the sport is today

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
QUACKERS wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50pm:
I'm waiting for the 20 gauge sales...looking at a sbs 20

yes im after a ok semi  20 bore if any one wants to sub me one to prove a point, i  will give u  $1, well how about $12, mainly for geese ,

or a pump at this stage   Smiley

IP Logged

willy
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
WHAT 3 DAYS AND NO BITES  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Our duck season now finished willy so the south island boys must be out with the 20s. Using  up there ammo

IP Logged

hunta223rem
Just Joined

speak softly but carry
a big stick

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Find it a bit undemocratic that members of fish and game council  (that are elected) are making such decisions on behalf of the people that pay for the licenses i.e. all shooters.without a referendum etc they must be in bed with the politicians

real guns start with a .4

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 7:58am
Print Post  
hunta223rem wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 9:45pm:
Find it a bit undemocratic that members of fish and game council  (that are elected) are making such decisions on behalf of the people that pay for the licenses i.e. all shooters.without a referendum etc they must be in bed with the politicians

Eh ? 

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Cheesy

IP Logged

carnivore
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  

yeah I think you might find that the conservation minister may have pushed this one there pal, the government wanted a immediate ban , you may well also find that our elected members worked very well for us gaining us several years to change over.

marlin XL7 270
not flash but effective

IP Logged

HUNTEE

Reply #15 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
the decision was not the waikato fish and game council it was done by the nz council from magie barry we were advised bout it Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Ide say it will be a hard call for ammo supplyers to know what steel loads to stock for sub gauges because alot of sub gauge users will be going back to 12ga.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
One of the main causes of the introduction of  this ban is the number of shooters who swung to 20ga to get around the problem of suspected poor performance of steel shot .

I haven't been able to find a copy of the proposed changes so
I'm not sure but, I believe the 410 exemption will be for kids only .

Rio makes a full range of Bisthmus shot shells , and Hevi shot make a full range of tungsten based shells , it is just a matter of affording it  Sad

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Snuffit
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
HUNTEE wrote on Jun 12th, 2017 at 7:59pm:
the decision was not the waikato fish and game council it was done by the nz council from magie barry we were advised bout it Angry Angry Angry

Don't sweat it. 95% of game bird hunters and trout anglers have no idea how F&G works.  Sad

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
( [/quote]

Don't sweat it. 95% of game bird hunters and trout anglers have no idea how F&G works.  Sad [/quote]

That reminds me , at the time of the original lead shot ban discussions , the banning of lead in fresh water fishing, lead lines , lures and downriggers etc , was also being discussed  , did that ever come about or is the Fishing lobby too strong ?

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
One of the main causes of the introduction of  this ban is the number of shooters who swung to 20ga to get around the problem of suspected poor performance of steel shot .

Rio makes a full range of Bisthmus shot shells , and Hevi shot make a full range of tungsten based shells , it is just a matter of affording it  Sad

I don't see how the .410 exemption could only be for kids....as that would surely be age discrimination.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:03pm:
Flintlock wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 2:48pm:

I don't see how the .410 exemption could only be for kids....as that would surely be age discrimination.

As a professional old fart I can tell you that age discrimination is not against the law  Angry Sad Shocked Angry

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
I cant see there be many adults going to be using .410 . Ive had hunters look at me and the kids and think im bullshitting them when i tell them the kids have shot parries and swans with the .410 ive even had them say what are you going to kill with that thing little do they know its firing pellets the same speed as their 12ga. Cheesy

IP Logged

HUNTEE

Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
right on hauraki

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Just show that if the pellets are put in the right places at the right range they will kill,no matter what you use,good on you hauraki,steel does the same thing, Wink Wink

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #25 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
so .410 semis for the future.  Smiley

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
What about muzzleloaders - will they still be able to shoot lead ?

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:50am
Print Post  
[quote author=1B61106104630761570 link=1496864464/26#26 date=1497570957]What about muzzleloaders - will they still be able to shoot lead ?[/quote]
There wouldnt be more than a hand full of muzzleloader shotgunners in NZ and couldnt see more duck hunters going down that path so they can use lead ide say they will leave them alone. Smiley

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #28 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
looks like the agents might be selling a load of .410 inserts for 12gauges ?????????????????

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:50am:
There wouldnt be more than a hand full of muzzleloader shotgunners in NZ and couldnt see more duck hunters going down that path so they can use lead ide say they will leave them alone. Smiley

I only have two shotties, both BP and one a muzzleloader.
I only found out recently the ML was steel exempt, so hope that continues - purely for selfish reasons.

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
(

Don't sweat it. 95% of game bird hunters and trout anglers have no idea how F&G works.  Sad [/quote]

That reminds me , at the time of the original lead shot ban discussions , the banning of lead in fresh water fishing, lead lines , lures and downriggers etc , was also being discussed  , did that ever come about or is the Fishing lobby too strong ? [/quote]

Unless fishermen start using smaller lead its not an issue. Mallards pick up small bits of grit, similar in size to shotgun pellets, they're not picking up stuff the same size as sinkers etc which is why there's no change there I'd say.

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50am:

You can guarantee if they didn't do this in a 28 gauge the steel haters would simply move to using one of them with lead. There's some pretty good lead loads available.

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #32 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  

I've read this on other posts people with your view. They aren't there to make decisions for you. They're there to make management decisions for the gamebirds. If you don't like the way they do things then stand against them yourself at the elections. that's the democracy part. Do you want them to do referendums on bag limits or season length as well or just on the things you don't agree with?

IP Logged

Burko
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #33 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Hi , I am new to your forum but wanted to see what people think of this . I own a farm with a 10 acre lake on it , we have between 12 and 16 Duck shooters on opening morning and during the season . I am not sure about the rights and wrongs of lead shot , steel is certainly not as effective as lead , mind you I miss more than most !
But I feel if the Greenies really wanted a gripe, and what I see as long term pollution is the plastic shells , we have piles of these out side our Mi Mi and so do all the others . Would it be a major issue/cost to return to paper case's ? At least then we would only be leaving paper and brass in the environment which are natural products as apposed to leaving plastic around our beautiful lakes and rivers . What do you think ?

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #34 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Steel is certainly as effective as lead, you owe it to the ducks to try out different choke/ammo combinations rather than just blaming steel shot. You do have a point in regards to the plastic shells and wads for that matter. I pick up all I can find but never get them all.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Burko wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:46am:
Hi , I am new to your forum but wanted to see what people think of this . I own a farm with a 10 acre lake on it , we have between 12 and 16 Duck shooters on opening morning and during the season . I am not sure about the rights and wrongs of lead shot , steel is certainly not as effective as lead , mind you I miss more than most !
But I feel if the Greenies really wanted a gripe, and what I see as long term pollution is the plastic shells , we have piles of these out side our Mi Mi and so do all the others . Would it be a major issue/cost to return to paper case's ? At least then we would only be leaving paper and brass in the environment which are natural products as apposed to leaving plastic around our beautiful lakes and rivers . What do you think ?

Ive often seen cows chewing on empty shells and found shells that have been chewed and spit out doesnt effect cows health they can eat some strange things ive seen water pipe and rope in butchered cows guts.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #36 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Paper hulls.. been there done that.

They swell in damp conditions, which includes inside the chamber, the extractor grabs the steel rim and that separates from the paper hull, the rim is ejected and you now have a paper tube stuck inside the chamber.

Been there done that.

Big No from me on paper cases.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #37 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
pick up your plastic hulls and burn them in a hole...the metal bit on end rusts away in time ...... so lesser of two evils a bit of burning polution vs eyesore.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #38 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
the ends brass so collect them and take to scrap man for beer money. Sure it will draw a few heads

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
not anymore they arent.....pickem up with a magnet means steel...with coating.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
its only thin so can be picked up with a strong magnet.the primer is magnetic so the pick up sticks usually stick with the help of these

IP Logged

carnivore
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 7:54am
Print Post  
dont give those greenie dip sticks any ideas. they read this too Cheesy Cheesy
on public land we are obligated to clean up after ourselves, in the past doc and a like have come through in the summer and enforced this. steel wads are ment to be a much harder plastic to protect our barrels, unlike lead wads but all are very slow to break down, but they do. 
federal steel loads have been used out of my maimai since change over, and the cases too do breakdown very very slowly.
I opened a hens guts this year and she had a lead pellet in there and wasnt there via forced entry either Grin

marlin XL7 270
not flash but effective

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #42 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
It annoys me to find fired cases around my pond.....picking them up is a simple matter and  good manners.Leaving them on the ground where they fall is just not on.The ultimate shell (from an environmental standpoint) would be paper case,steel head,and a completely biodegradable wad.I much prefer the old paper cases,they break down much faster and they put off a nice smell when fired.

IP Logged

tim41

Reply #43 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 6:03am
Print Post  
stop being so bloody lazy and pick up your shells,its not hard

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Be interesting to see what sort of selection of 20 ga steel will be brought in,after it becomes required over water.Because some will want to stick with this gauge after the changeover.

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #45 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I remember when everyone traded their 12 gauge double stuffers for the whizz bang 5 shot semi auto steel approved guns that proliferated the market at the time.
Do you think that will be the case again?
A period where it was ok to have a full mag in an auto?

IP Logged

HUNTEE

Reply #46 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
no id say 3shot will be here to stay  Smiley

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #47 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Was in a H&F store yesterday,and noticed they had a quantity of standard length (2 and 3/4") 20 ga steel shells for sale, in size 5 steel shot.Never seen standard 20 ga steel loads for sale in NZ before so maybe it will start to be a regular stocked item now.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #48 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
32 gram?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #49 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
GDMP thats a great bit of news...... lets hope people get on board and try it out and not just bury heads in sand and moan.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #50 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Believe it was Eley Vip 20 ga steel,24 gram, in size 5 steel.

IP Logged

CIB

Reply #51 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Can you tell us where? I would be very keen to try it

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #52 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Any Hunting and Fishing store I would imagine....as they all have access to Eley shotgun ammo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards