Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Lead shot ban (Read 10691 times)
TS
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Lead shot ban
Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
(

Don't sweat it. 95% of game bird hunters and trout anglers have no idea how F&G works.  Sad [/quote]

That reminds me , at the time of the original lead shot ban discussions , the banning of lead in fresh water fishing, lead lines , lures and downriggers etc , was also being discussed  , did that ever come about or is the Fishing lobby too strong ? [/quote]

Unless fishermen start using smaller lead its not an issue. Mallards pick up small bits of grit, similar in size to shotgun pellets, they're not picking up stuff the same size as sinkers etc which is why there's no change there I'd say.

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
hauraki hunter wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:50am:
To ban lead in 20ga and 16ga fair enough but to include 28ga  is going to kill the use of anyone using a 28ga. I think theres hardly anyone using 28ga on game birds anyway ive never seen a hunter with one.There might be alot of .410 getting sold in the next 4 years if kids can knock down ducks with them a adult with a .410 should have no trouble. Smiley

You can guarantee if they didn't do this in a 28 gauge the steel haters would simply move to using one of them with lead. There's some pretty good lead loads available.

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #32 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
hunta223rem wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 9:45pm:
Find it a bit undemocratic that members of fish and game council  (that are elected) are making such decisions on behalf of the people that pay for the licenses i.e. all shooters.without a referendum etc they must be in bed with the politicians

I've read this on other posts people with your view. They aren't there to make decisions for you. They're there to make management decisions for the gamebirds. If you don't like the way they do things then stand against them yourself at the elections. that's the democracy part. Do you want them to do referendums on bag limits or season length as well or just on the things you don't agree with?

IP Logged

Burko
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #33 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Hi , I am new to your forum but wanted to see what people think of this . I own a farm with a 10 acre lake on it , we have between 12 and 16 Duck shooters on opening morning and during the season . I am not sure about the rights and wrongs of lead shot , steel is certainly not as effective as lead , mind you I miss more than most !
But I feel if the Greenies really wanted a gripe, and what I see as long term pollution is the plastic shells , we have piles of these out side our Mi Mi and so do all the others . Would it be a major issue/cost to return to paper case's ? At least then we would only be leaving paper and brass in the environment which are natural products as apposed to leaving plastic around our beautiful lakes and rivers . What do you think ?

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #34 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Steel is certainly as effective as lead, you owe it to the ducks to try out different choke/ammo combinations rather than just blaming steel shot. You do have a point in regards to the plastic shells and wads for that matter. I pick up all I can find but never get them all.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Burko wrote on Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:46am:
Hi , I am new to your forum but wanted to see what people think of this . I own a farm with a 10 acre lake on it , we have between 12 and 16 Duck shooters on opening morning and during the season . I am not sure about the rights and wrongs of lead shot , steel is certainly not as effective as lead , mind you I miss more than most !
But I feel if the Greenies really wanted a gripe, and what I see as long term pollution is the plastic shells , we have piles of these out side our Mi Mi and so do all the others . Would it be a major issue/cost to return to paper case's ? At least then we would only be leaving paper and brass in the environment which are natural products as apposed to leaving plastic around our beautiful lakes and rivers . What do you think ?

Ive often seen cows chewing on empty shells and found shells that have been chewed and spit out doesnt effect cows health they can eat some strange things ive seen water pipe and rope in butchered cows guts.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #36 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Paper hulls.. been there done that.

They swell in damp conditions, which includes inside the chamber, the extractor grabs the steel rim and that separates from the paper hull, the rim is ejected and you now have a paper tube stuck inside the chamber.

Been there done that.

Big No from me on paper cases.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #37 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
pick up your plastic hulls and burn them in a hole...the metal bit on end rusts away in time ...... so lesser of two evils a bit of burning polution vs eyesore.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #38 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
the ends brass so collect them and take to scrap man for beer money. Sure it will draw a few heads

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #39 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
not anymore they arent.....pickem up with a magnet means steel...with coating.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #40 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
its only thin so can be picked up with a strong magnet.the primer is magnetic so the pick up sticks usually stick with the help of these

IP Logged

carnivore
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 7:54am
Print Post  
dont give those greenie dip sticks any ideas. they read this too Cheesy Cheesy
on public land we are obligated to clean up after ourselves, in the past doc and a like have come through in the summer and enforced this. steel wads are ment to be a much harder plastic to protect our barrels, unlike lead wads but all are very slow to break down, but they do. 
federal steel loads have been used out of my maimai since change over, and the cases too do breakdown very very slowly.
I opened a hens guts this year and she had a lead pellet in there and wasnt there via forced entry either Grin

marlin XL7 270
not flash but effective

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #42 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
It annoys me to find fired cases around my pond.....picking them up is a simple matter and  good manners.Leaving them on the ground where they fall is just not on.The ultimate shell (from an environmental standpoint) would be paper case,steel head,and a completely biodegradable wad.I much prefer the old paper cases,they break down much faster and they put off a nice smell when fired.

IP Logged

tim41

Reply #43 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 6:03am
Print Post  
stop being so bloody lazy and pick up your shells,its not hard

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Be interesting to see what sort of selection of 20 ga steel will be brought in,after it becomes required over water.Because some will want to stick with this gauge after the changeover.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards