Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cavitating. (Read 1210 times)
bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Cavitating.
Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I have a 3m aqua marine inflatable with a 15hp 2 stoker , inflatable floor joby. Having trouble with it cavitating.  Wondering why and how too combat this, I'm thinking its because the floor can flex instead of being hard? I've bin using it for hunting trout, its bin a really good steady platform as I can stand up on the seats and spot for cruisers. I'm an addicted fly fisherman, ....there I said it

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Re: Cavitating.
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Larger propeller maybe...

Just fitted a hydrofoil to my boat to hold the nose down and it has caused the same issue  Undecided  I have a larger prop to try when I get round to it.

IP Logged

INOV8A

I do my own stunts!

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I would say definitly a floor issue.
We used to run the Arancia inflatables for extreme Landbased fishing and they have an inflatable keel with a hard floor that slides in. There was a model that had a hinge in the middle of the floor which is how you get it in and out. The lifeguards ended up calling this an ankle breaker because it would flex at the join when they hit waves and break ankles!
So they moved the hinge forward.
When the floor is not rigid the flex can happen and allow air to form under the hill and disrupt the flow over the prop causing cavitation.
So your choices are to go with something with a rigid floor or make sure all your tubes are always solid with air and try to reinforce the floor to provide more rigidity.
We also found that too much weight in the nose can cause it, so try evening up your weight distribution favouring the back.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
can you drop the motor down a click or two, mine was doing this on my tinny so i dropped it down two positions and all good.

IP Logged

Cigar
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
QUACKERS wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
can you drop the motor down a click or two, mine was doing this on my tinny so i dropped it down two positions and all good.

Yes, it could be ventilation rather than cavitation (though they are similar). Assuming they are trimmed correctly, the motors may be too high. In Rugersst's case, it may have been fine before the hydrofoil was added, but now having the boat more bow down also means the stern is sitting higher than it was.

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Cigar wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:07pm:
Assuming they are trimmed correctly, the motors may be too high. In Rugersst's case, it may have been fine before the hydrofoil was added, but now having the boat more bow down also means the stern is sitting higher than it was.

Cheers for that info its been pissing me off since I last had it in the water, just went outside and had a looky at the angle of the motor in relevance to the bow and its definitely out as it sits on the trailer.
I spent the minute it took and dropped the trim by one hole so shall see how it goes next outing, here hoping   Cool

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Yeah thanx for the info, will have a look at adjusting

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards