Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fyran tinny as coach boat (Read 905 times)
chriscnf

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Fyran tinny as coach boat
Jun 3rd, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Hi guys...just acquired an old Fyran tinny to chase my daughters kayak around on the Clive and Ngaruroro rivers...first ever motor boat.

The Fyran measures 11ft and is powered by a 1980's 7.5hp Merc 2 stroke. The girl travels at about 12-13 k/hr on her long paddles and this setup is about half throttle to stay with her and gets up and goes plenty quick if I get behind (dropping my wake for other kayaks etc).

The motor goes well and has just had $500 service but I'm pretty set on a new 8hp for peace of mind and to keep her training sessions stress free.

I have to launch this thing alone on a steep river bank and I just cant see the value in a heavier motor. This thing will only ever go to sea if I get washed out of the river mouth.

Any thoughts on which 2 stroke I should buy.
I'm thinking Merc for the 5 year warranty and Firmans Marine being the supplier and service agent?

First thing I discovered is that tiller steer is an arse...Ill definitely have to get an extension. How hard would it be to convert the new motor to a wheel and cable throttle system. The only worry with that is taking the motor off when she is not around...which is most of the year.

Any thoughts or tips appreciated...complete beginner.
Cheers...Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards