Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bad and Good Games? (Read 3717 times)
ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Bad and Good Games?
Jun 1st, 2017 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Just got a Lab bitch yesterday that I want to train for deer and hoping for it to be ok for duck as well.

She's ​9 weeks old and stays in the kennel. When she gets out I always keep moving so that her attention is on me calling her to follow me.

Haven't had any problems so far but I was wondering if there's any games I should avoid playing with the pup? I was playing tug with her but then could see that being transformed to a bad  habit when she has something in her mouth I don't want her to have. Same with fetch, she obviously still hasn't the mental capacity of doing a proper retrieve. Can I play fetch with her or will she just learn bad behaviours?

Any game suggestions would be good.

Cheers,
Olivier

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Bad and Good Games?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Good question.  9 weeks is realy young and youve got to play with it. Its part of its developement. Its only got you, so if your not going to offer it stimulation who is. Personally id play the living daylights out of it with chew toys, balls, lots of tactile touching and verbal action, and lots of exploritory walks on a long line. Nows your chance to make that dog devoted and totally focused  on you. Dont miss it.

Thats more important for me than anything else at this stage with a young dog. You can model the behavior  to the desired reponses as the dog matures in the next few months. Every time you interact with it your both learning something.

Is this the first dog youve trained?  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
To be honest the pup seems fine just following me around and listening to me when I call it over but I'm the one who is getting bored of that game a bitafter a while.

Stoked to play with it. I was just scared that she'd get hard mouthed or wouldn't want to give me something she'd fetch for me by playing tug.

I don't think anyone who would've trained a dog in the past would ask that question! I've had dogs growing up and while they were well behaved they were house pets. First time on my own and while I have very low expectations on it getting very good, I'd like to take it out with me when I go hunting, fishing and skiing.

Cheers,
Olivier

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Don't want to contradict Headcases advice but I would be hesitant about playing tug of war games. Whether it does or doesn't cause hard mouth is a moot point (same as letting it play with hard objects and sticks) but with training a pup one of the most important aspects is not to do something that could cause a problem later on. Best to be safe than sorry.  You have already come to that conclusion any way in your post so you are off to a good start.

Try doing some small retrieves in your hallway or in a situation the pup can't run away from you, don't take the dummy away straight away but give her plenty of praise first and just sort of slip it out of her mouth and more praise. Always be sitting or kneeling while you are doing this. This can teach a recall as well as a retrieve. Most importantly make it a fun time for you and the pup and keep it short
three or four maximum and finish on a positive.   Remember she is only 9 weeks old and as you said isn't old enough for any more than that.

Guess what I am trying to say is any time with your pup should be fun but that fun needs to be with the bigger picture always on your mind. The biggest lesson I learned was it is best to not create a problem then have to try and fix it and believe me I have done plenty of that. Embarrassed

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
You can contradict me as much as you want,, but only you. Grin

Any game, can strengthen drives and be turned into a leaning experience and the beginning of shaping behaviors for the future or a short game with a toy can be part of the reward process. I agree that that particular interaction could be problematic if its taken too far, and Id never do that to the point where the dog became overexcited and unruly. Also your credo never to create a problem your going to have to fix later on.. great value advice.. Smiley

Violent tuck of wars are a no no for young dogs in any case. Their bone and muscle structure around the neck and jaw is not fully developed and weak. Injuring them is a risk.

Games that can be played with a ball as the dog matures are getting out into a big grassy open space and giving the ball a wack with a tennis racket or throwing a ball into long grass. Both develop drive, intensity and endurance.

There was a nice video posted on here years back of GDT using two dummies, one dog.. great interaction, and someone training a young dog posted one a year or so back also using a dummy. Nice timing and praise. Who was that.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Gee I feel quite privileged   Wink Grin

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Sounds good guys, playing fetch with her every now and again and she's doing great. She acts a bit like a cat though where she slows down when she gets closer and then attacks the ball.

Just got back to the vet and she told us not to keep the pup outside because of the cold but she doesn't shiver or anything. The kennel is insulated but quite big. I put 2 hotties in pillow cases that I refill when I take her out at night and she has a fleece sheet, fleece blanket and a thermal mat. We're in QT so it doors get cold (supposed to be -2 to-4 next few nights) but the breed comes from Canada so she should be right, right? Also dumb question but there's no chance a stoat would attack a 7kg pup right?  Neighbours just got their chooks killed.

Cheers,
Olivier

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Qtown can get pretty cold as you say. I live near a bit north of you and we have those -18 c nights sometimes too, but often for long periods -10 or thereabouts. My general rule of thumb is to bring the dogs indside when I see its going below -5c. The kennels have lots of bedding but a long cold night night might be a bit too much.

Inside I have a couple of the larger size cages and they are happy as larry in those with the doors closed. It keeps things cleaner, they are quiet till the morning, and the Mrs is more likely to approve.. Roll Eyes

If you cant have it inside, or choose not too, consider a generous sized little doggy jacket for the very cold nights. It should cover the hips too.

Young and old dogs are more vulnerable to cold so might be something you could consider.

Its not that they wont survive a cold night but moreso the long term consequences of multiple cold nights over years. I think it promotes arthritis and similar joint problems as time goes by.

If your looking to purchase a good size dog cage, look in Trademe where the same product can be purchased at less than half the price than at your local shop. Smiley

No idea about stoats but mine do get a bit upset when theres a possum sleeping in the kennel. Cheesy

Dogs in the cold for short time frames are no worries if they have double coat, eg labs
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:56pm by headcase »  

IP Logged

ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Nice pic, what's going on on there?

Definitely can't see why an adult Lab cannot withstand a night in NZ. Got that breed so that I could go ski touring with it and I will be damned if a Canadian dog gets cold in NZ.

So far the pup seems super comfy with the hotties and all. Got her out last night for her to pee and I thought I'd go for a wee walk with her but she just went straight back in her kennel.

Cheers

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Why not a heat pad or electric blanket on a timer?spouse it will depend on where your kennel is from your power source, its just an idea I've thought of but not used

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Sounds like the dog is comfy then at -2 I looked at heatpads too as an option but decided against it.

The pic is skitouring too,snowpack evaluation.. Ive run 3 labs in alpine conditions since 1984. They handle the enviroment with a 10 star rating lol. The only problem I ever had was fine snow being driven into its eyes and freezing around the eylids. The other common problem mostly with other breeds, is balls of ice forming on the hairs between the paw pads. Thats painfull for the dog but trimming the hair back carefully and rubbing in some vaseline on and around the areas will help.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2017 at 7:39pm by headcase »  

IP Logged

ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Nice one.

I feel like having an electric wire in a kernel could go terribly wrong. She still doesn't seem to know what's food and what's not.

Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
As your living in QT, have a lab, have  some ski touring experience, you might be interested to join the alpine search dog group that works in the area. Let me know if you ever get an interest in doing something like that.

IP Logged

ocossette
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah for sure, I'm just starting my avi 2 so once that's done I'm thinking of getting another lab to track humans.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Before you buy another dog, visit one of the training camps first to see if the commitment would suit you. 

Sounds like your planning a carrier in the snow business. Good luck.. and every success.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards