Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Handheld VHF Radio - Standard-Horizon-HX300 (Read 1548 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Handheld VHF Radio - Standard-Horizon-HX300
May 30th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Has anyone got any feedback on this radio?  I have got my radio operators cert and about to get a call sign.  I want one thats fairly light and compact and reliable.  It looks like a good price off amazon.

Keen to hear feedback from people who have owned this model.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon-HX300-Handheld-Marine/dp/B00AJVXA5W

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Re: Handheld VHF Radio - Standard-Horizon-HX300
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2017 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Just got one of these for my boat, not sure of what NZ runs for frequency but pritty sure international is channel 16 and our local marine rescue is 81 so the more modern 88 channel is better suited.
Assume AU and NZ would be the same you maybe better to get one from a local market so you no it works as some of the US stuff does't over here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131327601056?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Standard Horizon (Vertex) make good stuff. That's a fairly sharp price if its for real.

There's an International Protocol covering Marine VHF freqs, so Ch 16 anywhere in the world should be 156.8 Mhz

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replys guys.  I have brought a bit of stuff off Amazon recently and the price is for real.  They also calculate the GST for you (described as Shipping and Import Duties) and charge you for that at time of purchase.  This means no nasty surprises in customs.  If I worked in a bricks and mortar retail shop I would be shitting myself.

When I did the radio operators course they said VHF radios are switchable to the different frequencies that most regions use.  That exact same model is also sold locally here so I assume that it will work with the NZ frequencies.

If I am wrong about this please let me know so I avoid an expensive mistake.

That model is also chargeable via a usb cord so you can charge it off a powerbank and no worries about not receiving a charger with a NZ plug.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure that all Marine VHF freqs allocated a channel number are the same world wide. i.e Ch 16 = 156.8, Ch 20 =161.6, Ch 88 = 157.4250, BUT places like the USA will use a duplex allocated Marine channel as a simplex, just to make things confusing. In short I think that hand held should work fine here.

All the stuff I have ordered off Amazon and Aliexpress has sent the correct lead for Aus/NZ, which is handy. But the usb facility makes things even easier.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
The price on the standard horizon hx300 has gone up $10 so I am going to wait a few days before ordering.

This is my other option (Uniden MHS126) so interested if anyone has any feedback as to which is the better model\brand:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU5XROG/ref=psdc_2623486011_t2_B00AJVXA5W?th=1

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
icom also make good stuff

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Uniden Atlantis 250.
Probly newer models out now but has given me good service at work and play.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards