Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can you teach an old dog new tricks? (Read 1131 times)
Meateater84
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
May 29th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I've got a 4 year old lab. He's got a great nose and huge hunting drive but due to my failings as a first time dog trainer he's lacking in some areas. E.g. range, calling him off game etc. Is he too old or can I put a bit of time in to sort him out?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
when I was 10 years old my family bought a small farm. Dad was a hard core pighunter with 2 very good bitches that were awesome on big boars. the taught one of them (same age as me) to head the sheep back towards him and to bark up and hunt them away...not dog trial standard like but enough to get the job done.
if you put in the time you can do it.just be firm and have a plan to stick to. at worst you will only improove what you have now so its a win win no matter how far you get.

IP Logged

Meateater84
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I can't reply to PMs until i've been on here longer apparently. When I say range i mean as soon as we are walking my dog is off. He'll flush pheasants a million miles away unless i constantly talk to him to keep him near me. He's an excellent dog, really athletic for a lab and has a great temperament so if i can get him right we'll both be a lot happier!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Yes you can teach a dog new tricks. Train regularly and build a relationship and trust with the dog. 

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
ok here is a default fix....... work on and get a ROCK SOLID stop/sit
make this a non negotible thing and enforce it no matter what is going on. that will allow you to "fix" the other two issues
range..when dog gets to say 15-20mtrs sit it till you get closer then "release"
same goes for calling off game....just dont ever use it if your dog gets into a scrap Cry Cry Cry they will get pounded Cry

dont let your dog outside that range. keep it in there till it becomes its comfortable place to be.
hope that helps.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
flushing birds miles away will spoil your day and your hunting mates will soon be" too busy" when you ring to go shooting. better to have dog on a lead than buggering up your day.
work on that range thing till you have it right and the rewards will come.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
yes the trick is go back to something simple and accept nothing but compliance, then take a small step further. If its not working dont dwell on it,  go back further, untill you find the point where you understand each other and reset from there.

Never punish your dog, because if you do, you are the loser, and the dog is confused and may become timid. In any case the relationship and trust in the safe zone around you are in jepody and may be lost for ever.

The dog cannot repond to your wishes in a desired manner if it does not understand what it is you want, so small steps and patience are part of the key to success.

Training a dog for the first time without any direct guidence is huge task. Not without its pitfalls. They are numerous. The important thing is to relax, enjoy the process and your dog will respond in a similar manner like an echo..

Good luck.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Meateater84
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help. It's all great. I've watched a couple of Paul Michael's videos so have an idea about how to sort the range out. Relaxing and being patient, great advice, two things I definitely didn't do in the beginning.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2017 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Theres a lot can be said about training dogs, and its been said before on here, and some viewpoints collided with others.  Grin

I doubt you can get better training methodology and advice than watching  Paul Michael's  videos. 

Good place to start, and finish..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards