Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Black Powder Shotgunning (Read 5921 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Black Powder Shotgunning
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
When I was doing the homework on what we had, I did read that they were a protected species - and never thought to question it.

Our one is pretty safe, will likely go to some wildlife park or haven when it gets old enough - or it might choose to bugger off as I also read that the urge to migrate and mate is fairly strong with these birds.

I don't recall having seen one of these chappies out here, not a male anyway - and I've been here a while now.

Cheers MD - and I probably got a bit loose with that last post despite it being true - apart from the roasting dish, that is.

Oh - and whacking the neighbours kids $2 for the privilege of giving it a name - missus got shitty with that one.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2019 at 11:53am by SF90 »  

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I did think 53cm was a tad on the large size....a full grown spoonie weighs not much more than a pound when soaking wet.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
A few years back my Dutch brother in law had his fiftieth birthday, had planned on a big spread at Solitaire Lodge.

"Right then, ve are serving game meat only."
"Where you getting that from ?"
"Ve gotta go and shoot it."

First on the list was venison, so we headed out in the bush and failed to find any.

"What are we gonna do now ?"
"Talked to ze manager on ze deer farm at the end of ze road and he's gonna let us shoot vun."
"Cher."
"Can't let ze security guy know."

So I made him a 'can' for his .308 - made it out of a 2" stainless tube and shoved a shitload of baffles in it. When done it weighed nearly three pounds and was hose clipped to the end of the barrel and as neither of us had fired a suppressed rifle, we took it down the range.
The first shot was so quiet, just a quiet whooshy crack around the hills we walked up to the 100 yard target to see if the bullet had got there - it had.
The second shot saw the 'can' shoot off the front and land about eight feet in front of us.

"Might have to tighten that hose clip I think".

And we went hunting - and I watched in awe as he missed a broadside red hind at thirty meters.

"Think you missed ........"

The next day he missed again.

"Your stoopid godzilla suppressor has sagged ze barrel."

The third day I took my gun and shot his hind - no suppressor.
Ten minutes later we heard the security guy coming on his bike, went right across the top of us and never looked down in that little gully.

Next was a herd of ducks - got one after a great deal of effort.

"What else is on the menu ?"
"Ve need sum geese."

So we roped in two other guys to double our chances and snuck up on a herd of geese out on a paddock - only to watch them fly away and land in the lake.

"Vot do ve do now ?"
"We go and shoot the f**kers."

And our two 'roped in' geese shooters ran away and hid in a pine plantation.

Got down to the lake and there was a nice goose happily paddling around all by himself in a little pond beside the public boardwalk and only 100 yards away from the lakeside houses.
My brother in law was standing some forty feet away studying the sky, studying everything except for anything in my direction - so I shot the goose with an ounce and a half of fours
And it sat there arse up in the middle of the pond.

So I looked at my brother in law who almost glanced in my direction, before backing into some scrub and sitting down -  thus becoming invisible.

Shit, so I stripped buck naked, I didn't know how deep that water was, and waded out to retrieve that goose, all the time shitting someone would walk along the boardwalk - it was only forty feet away.
It only came up to my belly button, but the bottom was soft and slushy - sort of like real big eel territory.
Dragged that goose out plus a swan I'd inadvertently whacked ..........

"Your gun makes a lot of smoke ?"
"I got your f**kin goose arsehole".
"I don't vant ze swan".
"Ve are taking ze f**kin swan".

A week later we sat down to a really good wild game feed at Solitaire - it was all cooked superbly.
There were a shitload of people there and after the 'feed' he sat there like the 'Godfather' and absorbed the praise.
There was venison, pork, one goose, one duck, a couple of pheasants, rabbit and no swan.

I went out for a f*g and found myself sitting next to Allison ......

"How's it going sweetheart ?"
"The son of a bitch shot my pet rabbits."

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2020 at 10:03am by SF90 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards