Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Black Powder Shotgunning (Read 1367 times)
brooke

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Black Powder Shotgunning
May 28th, 2017 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I am considering buying a muzzle loading shotgun and was wondering if anyone has been using a muzzle loading shotgun this duck shooting season? I am looking at buying a pedersoli side by side and was interested in any feedback on this brand of shotgun?

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: Black Powder Shotgunning
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2017 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Can't help you with this season, nor the last one - or even the one before that, but I do have an English single barrel muzzleloader 12 bore I used for ducks, but haven't shot it over water since they went to steel shot - a long time ago.

Pedersoli make quality guns, though aesthetics can be lacking in some models - in my opinion.

Their 12 bore double was a nice gun, or the one I handled was - but that was a long time ago.
You might want to check that the gun you are thinking of is 'steel' compatible - or you could possibly use plastic cups to hold your shot, but the ones from years ago were very light weight and gave the barrel little protection.
When I briefly played with them I used the standard vegetable fibre wad column and cut the gas expansion and collapsable section off the base of the cup as it gave no seal.
The steel shot abraded through those cups causing some scoring to the barrel.
They might have beefed them up now ?

Hopefully, someone else with more up to date knowledge will hop on here - I'll be interested.

IP Logged

6XC

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Muzzle loaders are exempt from steel shot use.

They are fine for ducks. I hunted last season with a shooter using a Pedersoli, it went off and killed birds entirely adequately. The second shot was sometimes obscured by smoke, and the steel butplate in such a light gun produced recoil that could only be described as brisk.

Note the smoke still in the air.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I did not know that - and I'm pissed that I didn't.

When I did shoot ducks with the ML, I never really felt disadvantaged when I was shooting with my mates and their modern shooters - maybe a little less range (cylinder bore) and the slow loading of course.
Recoil is a little stiffer due to the 90gr powder charge and the discharge 'boom' is quite different - my mates always knew where I was when stream stalking.

I think you just answered Brooke's question.

Nice photo - you look like you're poaching the Avon.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
sounds like you should get the old girl out again SF90..... its just got to be done.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Oh, I dunno - duck shooting for me was something I always did with mates.
I came North in 1979 and left them all behind in Wellington - then I got busy building a house and doing other stuff.
I only remember using that gun on two occasions in the time I've been here - might have been more, just can't remember.

A year or two after I got here and had finished (?) the house, I put together a boat - a 24 foot open clinker hull with a steam engine and boiler I'd built back in Wellington.
It didn't go too quick, that boat - I could swim quicker, but I had a hell of a lot of fun in it.

There were a small group of people here that shot trap and I fell in with them for a while - they were duck shooters, had maimai's all around the lake they shot every opening morning.

One opening morning a neighbour and I who were somewhat outside the tight group went down in the early hours and lit the fire and managed to join the flotilla heading out across the lake.
Three hours later we were still heading out as the rest of the boats passed us coming home.

I don't remember getting a duck that day, my neighbour had visitors arriving at 3.00 pm that afternoon, so after looking over a couple of swamps and stocking up with driftwood, we headed home.
We were both pretty tired as we'd had bugger all sleep and the wind had got up forcing us to zig zag to make any progress. On one tack I remember looking at a stick poking out of the water close in to shore. One cigarette later I searched for that stick again - and it was exactly where it had been the first time I saw it - so we zagged.
Eventually we both went to sleep and only woke up to the hull pounding on the rocks a little short of Humphries Bay on Lake Tarawera - a shitty, shitty place.
We'd drifted a good two miles and had a bugger of a job getting out of there as the fire had gone out and the funnel had caught up in a pohutukawa.
Eventually we did, but it was touch and go - the wind and waves pushing us back in faster than the boat could go.

Got home to find a note at my neighbour's saying his visitors had arrived - and gone again.
He was so incensed I decided to leave and as I was walking down his drive a rock whistled passed my ear so close I felt it's wind.
He didn't talk to me for weeks after that - and never went out in my boat again.

The other occasion was only about four or five years ago and in retrospect was quite funny - but I gotta go to work now.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Get wads and over shot and over powder cards from Track of the Wolf https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/170/1 , they also sell measures etc  and are a great company to deal with .
Use equal volumes  of powder ( FFg ) and shot . these can be carried in pre measured plastic pill bottles etc .

Load powder - over powder card or cards- shot and lastly a thin over shot card .

Be aware that in a double's  unfired barrel the load  can move forward and form an obstruction if the wads etc are not tight enough , I always re rammed the (uncapped) load as a precaution , although it wasn't needed.

I have owned a Pedersoli double and the only problem was a bit of cap splatter from the left hand barrel .I have also owned a Pedersoli single barrel Mortimer flintlock 12 ga which was a great gun .

I have just had alook at Pedersoli's shotgun page and see they make a lot of new models  https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/risultati-ricerca-armi.asp?l=en .

I reload old Eley thin wall straight tube Brass 12 ga cartridges and use Track's 10 ga wads in these and they work just fine

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
that sounds like a really funy thing to look back on...... I built a canoe/punt 8 foot long and 2 foot wide..... paddling hard out I could match but not overtake a paddling duck,had some huge paddles to get woundies,chased one for about a km across lake trying to get close enough to fire finishing shot, only to have it dive and not resurface within 50 yards of shore  Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2017 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
that sounds like a really funy thing to look back on...... I built a canoe/punt 8 foot long and 2 foot wide..... paddling hard out I could match but not overtake a paddling duck,had some huge paddles to get woundies,chased one for about a km across lake trying to get close enough to fire finishing shot, only to have it dive and not resurface within 50 yards of shore  Grin Grin

I can absolutely picture that.

My best mate and I would toss a coin to see who was dog for the day and I can't remember ever winning a toss.
Absolutely starkers fetching dead ducks that refused to blow ashore and chasing wounded ducks through the mud, reeds and open water, all the while shitting about the eels while he sat ashore cackling away to himself.
Saw him not so long ago, old as buggery and fat as a hog.

Good days - those.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards