Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Molesworth winter hunting (Read 5908 times)
JB
Donor Member

Take em!!

Molesworth winter hunting
May 17th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Was looking through the Doc site and came across a map of blocks that open up for hunting from about now on for a few months most off or near the Rainbow road.

Has anyone had a look up there at this time of year?

And where is the best place to ask about the current state of the road re snow and such like

Cheers

IP Logged

300wsm for life
Donor Member

I Live for the Nelson
Lakes

Re: Molesworth winter hunting
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
The issue will be getting access. It can be hard to get permission from Rainbow manager for access after easter as the gate is locked and you need the key from Rainbow. Snow can hamper a lot of the access in that area. You may get permission from Molesworth. Get his number off website or DoC Renwick.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2017 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Apply online through DOC Marlborough. Good access from Hanmer to at least Lake Tennyson, don't know about Island Pass, bound to have a bit of snow on it. Once the snow arrives there is no access. Just a wee skiff of snow on the tops at the moment but with snow forecast to 400 mtrs that could put the brakes on for the winter. Most of Molesworth is under snow throughout the winter.
The procedure is you apply through DOC, they ok it with the manager and you get a permit for 1 week. DOC don't always respond to your permit application online so you sometimes need to follow up with a phone call.
It gets bloody cold out there with severe frosts. Most of the animals in the blocks that are available will be in the head of the gulleys and up high. There is no vehicle or heli access and you need to cross the Clarence River which is low at the moment. Its all had a thrashing during the roar.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2017 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Cantyguy wrote on May 17th, 2017 at 8:15pm:
Its all had a thrashing during the roar

Wouldnt worry about that if you hunting meat animals. Most dont tend to shoot anything other than stags in the roar and heard there were reasonable numbers of animals in the area  this year and its a big area.  Getting a permit isnt too bad, just apply and you get one sooner or later depending on demand and  go early rather than later as the snow will stop access  Smiley

IP Logged

madfish71
Donor Member

243 rules!!

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2017 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Also a 25 dollar road toll to enter

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2017 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Only through the Rainbow.Was through there on Sunday and definitely only passable in 4wd. After the rain and snow over the past couple of days I'd say the road would be buggered.

IP Logged

crekyhills

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2017 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
None of the blocks you are talking about were available during the roar so they shouldn't of had to much of a hammering in recent times. I know of one block that 3 hunters saw 60 deer and 50 pigs last weekend , so if you don't mind walking and getting cold book a block and go for a look. You should almost always be able to get in from the Hanmer end if you cant get in from the rainbow end. I have hunted most of them in the last few years and they all hold a few animals.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
You won't get beyond the Hanmer ski field access road once the snow arrives.

IP Logged

Jason Wilson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2017 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Only $25?
[quote ]Also a 25 dollar road toll to enter [/quote]

Buying a compound bow is a big deal. Before you buy, make sure you’ve read reviews about the different types of compound bows available and their prices. Also, it’s safe to keep it simple.
https://hunthacks.com/best-compound-bow/
IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Was in there last week. Very, very cold nights. Gas stove needed to be warmed each morning and it took ages each morning to get my leather boots to a stage that I could put them on.
Fantastic days though. Saw 7 stags and 5 hinds and heaps of pigs

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Covered in snow now! snow flurries overnight and all morning.

IP Logged

woody308
Just Joined

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Just get a permit and give it a go if you've got at least basic outdoor experience.Have camped all over Molesworth since the early  80's and access was only an issue a couple of times on June goose shoots.Can be a bit cold but with the right gear it's not a big issue, the natural beauty of the place makes up for the hardship.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
woody308 wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 6:36pm:
Just get a permit and give it a go if you've got at least basic outdoor experience.Have camped all over Molesworth since the early  80's and access was only an issue a couple of times on June goose shoots.[highlight]Can be a bit cold but with the right gear it's not a big issue[/highlight], the natural beauty of the place makes up for the hardship.

Until you get a metre of snow with -15 overnight and your stuck up the end of one those big gully's and the road you drove over is now impassable for the winter.

IP Logged

Sauer

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Just a slight exaggeration Cantyguy. Freezing level isn't low enough yet for snow to remain on the tops, let alone on the valley floor in the Molesworth.

IP Logged

woody308
Just Joined

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Cantyguy wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 7:54pm:
woody308 wrote on May 21st, 2017 at 6:36pm:
Just get a permit and give it a go if you've got at least basic outdoor experience.Have camped all over Molesworth since the early  80's and access was only an issue a couple of times on June goose shoots.[highlight]Can be a bit cold but with the right gear it's not a big issue[/highlight], the natural beauty of the place makes up for the hardship.

Until you get a metre of snow with -15 overnight and your stuck up the end of one those big gully's and the road you drove over is now impassable for the winter.

Getting off subject a bit but have been tent camped at Dillon/Clarence confluence when overnight temp. dropped to -18 overnight at molesworth homestead,dish-washing liquid froze in huts.Yes there was a bit of snow about and no easy way out.Certainly character building but not life threatening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards