Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2017, pre, post and roar (Read 1202 times)
7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

2017, pre, post and roar
May 16th, 2017 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
2017 Roar, pre and post

Well I manage to hunt most weekends and some say I should stay out of the hills at this time of year (as I hunt public land 80% of the time) but ya always get sucked back in to those roaring stags and the hope of some up close and personal contact and I think I am more likely to get hit by a bus that some muppet in the bush but that’s a whole other topic.   Anyway, my roar like most starts end of Feb when the big boys are stripping velvet and starting to fatten up to impress the ladies and ends in that month after April when they are again out fattening up ready for winter. So, I won’t bore you with tears with all the gory details as it could take ages so I thought a pic is worth 1000 words so a bit of a pictorial and maybe some details on the pic.

No 1
After taking a wrong turn in the bush and traveling up the wrong spur me and a mate were forced to sussed out some new country and I managed to bag this guy at 20m after spooking off while trying to get my mate to stop walking behind me after the dog indicated hard out, it bolted but young and dumb stopped to gather another sense of danger and well it was too late.

No2
Took a mate out to shoot some fallow on a block I have access to and while he was messing around trying to find what he had missed I (with 3 young lads) missioned off to a mob I had seen over a KM away, missing on this mob after being sprung by an unseen animal I picked off another not far away at 150m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rpueZTqh1s

No 3
Well mid-March was off to Wairoa in the hope of catching out a big stag feeding up only weeks away from them starting to roar, and some farm work to boot, anyway all I got was a hind at 300m, a very dumb hind, but meat all the same

No 4
Back into a local spot and what do you know a nice stag out gathering the last of the summer sun, 320m and down he went, I nice 13ptr, pretty wrapped really. Cheers Craigc for the photos

A couple of unsuccessful trips, moaning and roaring and a brief encounter with a satellite stag but no shots fired.

No 5
Sika time, off into the Kaimanawa, 3 days in a tent due to rain, 1 stag interaction (which was damn crazy) and all I got apart from a whole lot of knowledge and a bollocking for shooting girl deer in the roar was a hind at 20m. Loads of fun though so thanks to those peeps. Also meet forum members Ruger and Hindquarters at the heli hanger.

No 6
Another trip back to a private yielded a dumb spiker that came out after a shot was fired at another stag. 330m. Some lessons can be the hardest learnt!!

No 7
A handy grass feeder at 235m with my daughter, we all know what dead hinds are like so no pic needed and was in a bit of a rush so didn’t think to get a pic with my daughter…..she so wanted to smack it but light was fading quicker than the light dimmer on a romantic night in with the lady so conditions weren’t perfect…..next time maybe

No 8
Took a mate on a mish, was not meant to end this way but left car at 5.45am and got back at 6pm, There is a clip on YouTube somewhere of the day but end result was for me 1 pig 200m and another dumb spiker 91m. and a 2.5 hour walk out. All gd for the soul.

So that’s me really, Now it’s off into the winter hunting, swollen creeks, cold faces and all the goodness of hunting winter.

Have fun team and be safe

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Re: 2017, pre, post and roar
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Great work Hamish. Seems to be a pic missing? Might want to check that link.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 28th, 2017 at 6:45pm:
Great work Hamish. Seems to be a pic missing? Might want to check that link.

Which one?? One I didn't put a pic as I didn't take one??

AIM  
IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Heaps of meat and a very nice head.
A good roar I'd say.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
A lot of animals there, good effort! I really like the look of that stag, especially the left side  Cool bring on winter hunting eh.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
did we get that pic thing sorted out?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
if you are thinking the pic for number two its just a vid

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards