Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cats eye 2017 (Read 1320 times)
wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Cats eye 2017
May 15th, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
The only other story in this thread looked lonely

Managed to get another block in the Wap ballot for 2017, the Cats eye block. The 3 of us were supposed to be my son and a friend from Dunedin who was in the Wild Natives with us last year, but a couple of days after applying my son got a roster change on his job in Korea so couldn't make it so Gary's son Steven filled his spot. While a friend was out from Denmark for 3 weeks in Feb doing a bit of fishing managed to slip over on the boat ramp and totaled my already bad right knee so spent the next 3 weeks hobbling around on crutches. So being too late to cancel decide to still go knowing I wouldn't be able to do much but with the block being one of the easiest in the Wap area to get around might be ok. So the time came for us all to meet in Te Anau things got off to a bad start with Garry's son Steven being stuck in Wellington due to fog so we got in a day late, the other party of 3 ended up being a party of one so we jumped in the one chopper. The weather going in was a bit dicey but managed to get over the divide down George sound and around into Cats Eye bay, being a wilderness block in was land below the high tide mark out from the lower camp.
That was the Saturday and the weather packed it in with strong wind and rain Sat and Sun morning clearing to showers Sunday arvo and clear Mon morning so us 3 packed up and headed the 1.8ks up river to the other camp site and Ross from the other party would bring my pack and some other gear up in the afternoon in the boat " a must for this block " , the going was pretty good avoiding any real swamps with a few roars being heard. Ross arrived in the dinghy with the gear with tails of woe, he had managed to drop his rifle over the side when the pack dislodged, we all thought it would be just pick it up at low tide but no it wasn't so one sako to the hunting and river gods.
We went for a short walk up stream but couldn't get onto anything they tended to shut up when getting in close, so it was the next morning to get up river and get them going. We were away up river early and wasn't long before we had on going well with a high pitched roar the cross breeds have with a bit of a squeal at the end. He came in well and appeared across the river looking quite big so Steven dispatched him. He appeared to have good Wap blood but was a very small animal which made him look a lot bigger. After carrying up river and a small nap in the sun we got another one going well and while I kept him interested Gary and Steven went into him for a look, he was dispatched as the head was not good for the heard a big animal but shit head gear.
The next day was uneventful not being able to get onto any, so back to base camp the next day me in the dinghy and Gary and Steven walking back, they didn't get onto anything but a couple were roaring.
The rest of the time was spent at the bottom camp with animals in the immediate area roaring off and on Gary and Steven went for a walk up river and managed to down an 11 pointer quite nice timber and an older animal with one very long brow tine. I was confined to camp pretty much as the knee had given up.
All in all was a good trip and a block I would go back to we saw about 10 animals all up with all but 2 being stags with 3 just across river from camp, the weather for Fiordland was exceptional with only 2 days of bad weather. So it was with a small 9 and and11 pointer and 1 lost rifle we said goodbye to Fiordland till next time which will depend on the old right leg

upper river

lower river at base camp

the 2 heads

long brow tine

poor old right leg before the trip

This all gets taken out at the end of the month and see where we go from there

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:22am by headcase »  

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Re: Cats eye 2017
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Major bummer about your mate losing a rifle. Gutting.  Cry Cry
Your leg looks a mess too Shocked Shocked

Cool pics though. Looks like a beautiful spot.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
eventful trip

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2017 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Good effort Wazza,getting out there.Nice little river valley to wander up in down,my kinda country.
Gee yr leg looks stuffed.Back luck with the sako.
Enjoy the back steaks. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Grreat heart for hunting.. pity about the bits and pieces, guns, knees..  Smiley

Pity those shit for brains photobucket profiteers have ruined your post. If you want to email me the pics in order I can fit those back in for you.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Looks like we jsut about got those pics sorted out.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards