Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) A lot more knives (Read 7102 times)
Von Gruff
Donor Member

A lot more knives
May 11th, 2017 at 5:13am
Print Post  
On a hunting forum the guys had seen a couple of my knife projects and it was sugested that a group buy might be in order so this is the result with them  all profiled with coarse belt today.

Nine round butt skinners on top with a pair of boys knives, 2 light hunters, a reverse angled hunter skinner, 2 wapiti hunters and 3 boners on the bottom row. May get the egdes all tidied up with fine belts tomorrow and start cleaning up the faces.

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Re: A lot more knives
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Nice,

What are the details?? Type of steel, hardness level etc... I assume you harden yourself or do you send to Auckland??

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2017 at 12:00am
Print Post  
It is all 1084 Hamish and yes I harden myself to about the 59-60
Have got them all finish profiled and the faces cleaned up. Scribed the edge lines (at .015 apart) and ground the 45* edge bevel so ready for the main bevel now.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2017 at 5:00am
Print Post  
It was a good day in the shed today with 13 blades having the main bevels ground in and taken to 240 grit but the grinder motor was getting warm enough and I needed a spell from leaning over it so left them for today.

And moved on to another project I had needed done. I have a dozen 18 in bar clamps but that is not enough to do the handles on this group of blades if they are all ready at once so I got a length of 4 inch channel iron at the scrap yard and had it cut into 1 1/2 in strip. This afternoon I started the process of turning them into handle clamps by drilling and tapping a hole in one end for a 12mm threaded rod. I had got a couple of 1 metre threaded rods and will cut them into 110mm lengths.

So this is the ones that have been tapped and the rest waiting to be done.

The end of the threaded rod is turned down on the grinder (no lathe for me)  and a groove is made to except the head of the clamping piece which is just a short length of 20mm rod that has a hole drilled to suit the turned down end of the threaded rod, then a cut each way with the cut off disc on the angle grinder

And the cut ends can be taped into the groove to make for a clamping piece that is able to swivel and or clamp up to slightly uneven angles. All that is left to do is to weld a handle on the end of the rod and maybe a washer on the end of the clamping head to increase the size but that may be unnessary.
I will have to clean them all up of rust etc but this one is just put together to test the theory.

IP Logged

Rusky19
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2017 at 7:46am
Print Post  
hiya guys. just after a bit of info. iv got all tools/space required to have a go at some knife making. just not the steel. where do i go about getting this from ? i work with an older guy thats helped me get to a manager position in the department im in. he has been very keen to learn the knife making art all his adult life. but due to his wifes sickness etc he has no workshop or anything at all. id like to help him into the hobby as well as myself. just to say thank you for the help he has given me at work. any help much apreciated

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Rusky19
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2017 at 3:28am
Print Post  
thank you very much

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2017 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Have these blades all ready for heat treating now with their individual handle scales all marked for each knife with the name of the recipient scribed onto the tang so that will do for this week. There are different handle requests with some having bolsters (jarah or ebony) but all having scales from a rimu board I had set asside for them . There are a couple of foriegners in there with one having jarah scales and the hidden tang with brass jarah and beech. There were some that wernt part of the group buy that are set asside for now but they will be attended to after these are completed. 

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I got a few more blades from the drawer ready for heat treating so it will be all done in one session. With all the clamps finished and painted I should have no problem getting all the handles sorted without having to wait for apoxy to cure before removing the clamps for another batch.

IP Logged

RPowers
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Never thought of trying to make knives. Seems like a rewarding endeavor.

How long does the full process usually take?

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2017 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
It depends on what else I have to do. I am retired so dont consider this a full time thing. I usually allow for a few weeks but much of the time is required to do the handle finish and while it may only take 10 minutes a couple of times a day, it may take 10 days or more to get right, that is if it is wood handles while micarta or one of the synthetic handles can be done much more quickly.
Getting the blade cut out and ground is usually not a long process itself but it is the cleaning up with hand sanding and handle shaping that can take time and if there are bolsters or other add ons that all adds to the time.
Lots of hand work equals lots of time.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The blades are all heat treated and tempered so the next few days will see a lot of hand sanding and many sheets of W&D paper to get them all up to a 600 grt finish

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Have finally finished getting these blades handsanded after the heat treating so they are now ready for the handles but that is going to wait for a couple of days as I have something else to do in the meantime.
This is how I do all my handsanding with 220, 360, then 600grit papers round a 3/4 in square hardwood block.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2017 at 6:55am
Print Post  
This morning I got all the knives out of the clamps

Profiled them with the 60grit belt on the 12, 4 and 1 1/4 in wheels, run them through the bandsaw to do the primary shaping then used the 12 in wheel to get them to a rundimentary shape.

Then got a couple handsanded and finished up to 360 grit. I did have to make a new finishing block as my other one will only hold about 10 blades and it will be easier if they are all together in one place when I am doing the finish which is  a few of coats of thinned spar varnish (sanded between coats) to seal the surface then the oil finish can be done over the following couple of weeks.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Looking sharp  Roll Eyes Von  Gruff, interested to see the completion of this production line run.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards