Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Missing Rod and Reel (Read 1345 times)
Jessicalee
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Missing Rod and Reel
May 9th, 2017 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Back in 1983 or 1984 my dad, michael lee, backpacked new zealand as a young man (We are from california). He asked where to fish and was told about a fast moving river or creek south of Taupo great for trout. He went fishing and lost his rod and reel in the water. It was given to him by his uncle and had his name, Mike Lee, on the rod. I know it's probably lost forever but thought I'd try here and see if anyone has come across it.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Missing Rod and Reel
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2017 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Always worth an 'ask' Jessica - it's just possible someone did pick it up, but after all this time I think you'd be very lucky to get a positive result.

Years ago a friend and I got into difficulty with fast water on a river crossing - mate lost his rifle.
Reported the loss to the police and were told to go back and look for it.
We eventually found it seventy yards downstream, very battered with swollen wood and a buggered scope - otherwise okay.

I simply don't see a rod and reel faring too well in similar conditions.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
I simply don't see a rod and reel faring too well in similar conditions.

Not after 33 years anyway.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2017 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 8:57am:
Not after 33 years anyway.

Yes, I expect after 33 years the name would have rubbed off the rod, assuming it was still in the water.

But, if someone had found it downstream the same day - then that rod could be sitting on someone's wall, with that someone wondering if they had the only 'Mike Lee' rod in the world.
Human nature being what it is, they might also be wondering if Mike Lee was related to Bruce Lee, and I can't see how they wouldn't - that's an obvious connection, and should it be true, and it very likely is - that rod becomes immeasurably more desirable.

I would want that rod - that 'Mike Lee' inscription pisses all over the 'Bert's stick' inked on one of my Trademe classic's.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards