Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Roar (Read 1379 times)
meathunter72
Donor Member

My Roar
Apr 27th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
My Roar

As with all other hunters the roar is a much anticipated time for me. Pretty much from the end of March through April Im spending as much time as Im allowed out hunting.
It started for me in early April with a day hunt down in Pureora.
Ive only started hunting this area in the last year or so but I really enjoy it down there.  Its fairly handy to where I live and there's some beautiful forest down there.

Its gets 1080d regularly but theres still the odd deer and pig around. Plenty of birdlife too.
I got to the carpark about 8ish and had a yarn to a couple of other guys already there. They were going to be well away from where I was so that was good. I headed on down the track for a bit and then ducked into the bush. There was the odd fresh mark but not a huge amount. Just a few animals moving about. Still the bush was pretty nice with quite a few beautiful big Totaras.

Something you dont see that much.
Every half hour or so Id stop and have a roar at a likely area but I heard nothing. Around mid morning I stopped and had a bit of a feed. I got up to leave and though I might as well have a roar.
I let out a bit of a moan and just a few seconds later heard a crunch crunch and shortly after saw a stag looking towards me from over a log, maybe 30 meters away. Crikey that was quick. He must have been right there all along. I looked at him through the scope, he was just a young stag but Im a meathunter first and foremost so I lined up on his neck and fired.
He dropped straight away. I went over to him and he was still thrashing around a bit so he got another finisher.

I found a suitable handy tree to hang him up and got to work.

There was still plenty of time in the day to carry on but I had more than enough to carry

so I decided to head back to the truck.
I saw the other guys at the car park and theyd had some good success too. A nice 9 pointer.

The following Sunday I headed into Clements for a bit of a recce with my son Oliver.

Hes 7 and getting heaps better at moving through the bush. Hes got a pretty good Sika roar on him too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUzm8Ro3ows

We had a good look around, heard no roars but found a few spots worth a follow up look.
Unfortunately it proved an expensive trip as I got a puncture on the way out and Olly lost one of his gumboots. Oh well thems the breaks.

Next weekend was Easter and the weather was very average. I always have at least one trip into the Whirinaki every roar and I was very keen to get in there.
The Waipunga access I normally use was closed but I was able to get in via Murupara. Kaiangaroa was closed and there was a security guard stationed at the entrance. Luckily I knew the password Im going to Minginui and he let me through.
I got to the carpark and it was empty. The weather forecast was looking OK, and I was hoping the worst had passed through.
Id been walking a couple of hours when I was greeted with this.

It was a bit of a mission getting round it but I got there. On to camp and there was a fair bit of damage. The bivvy was a bit smashed.
Next day it was raining so I decided to spend some time getting the bivvy sorted. As I was working the whole thing collapsed with a crash. Bugger.

Oh well, I decided a complete rebuild was in order. It took me the best part of the day to build a new one but it turned out alright.

I managed to go for a quick look in the afternoon and managed to get a stag roaring.
I made a plan to come back the next day and have a go.
Next morning I headed up to where I thought the stag was. As I got close to the spot where I was going to try and roar from I saw a spiker eyeballing me. I could probably have shot him but I was only after stags.  He ran off and shortly after I heard a deer barking. Not sure if it was him or not but I figured Mr Stag was well warned by now. I headed off to check out another area. It was nice country but I heard no roars. After a few hours I finally heard a moan. I roared and he answered. Sweet I thought, Im in.
Then he shut up.
I;m not sure what happened there maybe he caught a whiff or maybe he didnt want a fight?  I decided to check out a nearby creek with a few clearings on it. I was working my way down and as I came onto one of the larger clearings I saw there was a stag in the middle of it. He looked like a big boy so I lined up his shoulder and fired. He dropped on the spot.

Sweet.
There were no hinds about that I could tell and he seemed to be having a bit of a rest on the clearing. There was a bit of bruising on his arse so I wonder if hed had a hiding from a bigger stag?
I took as much meat off him as I could well as his head.  As I staggered down towards the track an almighty thunderstorm hit. There was lightning flashes complete with instantaneous claps of thunder. When your in a strom like that you can see why the ancients have gods like Thor. It is pretty awesome and a little bit scary. 
It was well dark by the time I got back to camp and I was  soaking wet and fairly knackered.
Next morning I packed up and headed back to the track.  It took a hell of a lot longer getting out than walking in and negotiating the slipped track on the way out was a tad hairy.
But eventually I got to the truck, really knackered this time.
I weighed my pack when I got home and it was 47 kg with 32kg of meat. No wonder I was buggered.
A few days later Olly and I went into Clements for a look.
The weather was fantastic but the place was pretty busy. Likely spots that Id checked out a week or so earlier had been visited in our absence.
Olly got a pretty good Sika roar but in spite of his best efforts we couldnt get onto any stags.

On a plus side we found his lost boot, Chur.
Im really enjoying hunting with y boy. Every trip he gets a little bit stronger and its only a matter of time before we get our first deer together. 

Well that was my roar. Plenty of meat in the freezer and some quality time with my son.
Thanks for reading
MH72 out.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Re: My Roar
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Nice work MH72, the young fella be loving those trips!!

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Awesome, 1st entry.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
That's a better sika roar then me alright 👍🏻 Good stuff

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Wicked. Great write up. Good on you on taking the chance to get into the whiri.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Well done,your wee fellow will be keen as for next years roar. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
nice time had by all and a bit of bonding time well done   Cool

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Great story an pics.  Really enjoyed the read.. Cheers

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards