Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hawaii Hunts? (Read 3297 times)
cb14
Forum Font

Hawaii Hunts?
Apr 27th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I'm investigating bow hunting chital or mouflon next winter in Hawaii.  Has anyone been over there recently?  Would be very interested to hear how your hunts went and any tips you can share. 

I've got some excellent info from glasseye, thanks again  Cool

IP Logged

RPowers
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Hawaii Hunts?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2017 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Never been over there to hunt. The island I visited was just lousy with wild pigs though.

That would have been Kauai.

I heard about this kind of thing on a recent Joe Rogan podcast, and all I could think about was just how many pigs I saw while I was on the island. Seems like it would be good hunting. And also seems like they need help with the population control.

I would think that it would be a great place to hunt, but I have never been on the islands during the winter. Probably fine weather (less hot, but still not cold), but I cannot confirm that.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has given it a go.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2017 at 9:04am
Print Post  
RPowers wrote on May 9th, 2017 at 5:09am:
Never been over there to hunt. The island I visited was just lousy with wild pigs though.

That would have been Kauai.

I heard about this kind of thing on a recent Joe Rogan podcast, and all I could think about was just how many pigs I saw while I was on the island. Seems like it would be good hunting. And also seems like they need help with the population control.

I would think that it would be a great place to hunt, but I have never been on the islands during the winter. Probably fine weather (less hot, but still not cold), but I cannot confirm that.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has given it a go.

was there in may time,,lovely weather/place
certainly dont need a sleeping bag

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I've done a fair bit of research and hunting Hawaii looks like a goer.  My plan to bow hunt chital on Lanai Island in July next year.  Need to sort out accommodation and car rental which cant be booked until Feb 2018 according to the car hire company.  Will see how it goes.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
u could just hire a car and sleep on the beach(north side)

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Yes, thatís basically my plan.  Hire a car (can only book in Feb 18) and then tent at a campground which is close to the bow only hunting area.  There is a big festival the week I'm looking at going so getting a car might be a problem.

IP Logged

Echo
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
cb14,   

Have you gone ahead with your plans to hunt in Hawaii? 

I am seriously considering a Mouflon hunt on Lanai in 2019 ( Either a Bow hunt or possibly Muzzle Loader ) and am in the early stages of trying to find out as much as I can about the arrangements over there.  Any useful info you would be willing to pass on would be appreciated.  I notice you said that Glasseye helped you a lot. I'm hoping I might be able to get into contact with him also.

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Hi Echo, I haven't been to Hawaii yet.  I do have some info, which I will send to you when I get time.  Cheers.

IP Logged

Echo
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  I'll look forward to hearing further from you.

IP Logged

glass eye
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Echo.....pm sent.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards