Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Field Knife Sharpening (Read 2091 times)
creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Re: Field Knife Sharpening
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Huntertoo wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:02am:
Hiff em both in the gorge, get a Bahco.

this needs to get added to the Bahco thread over here . . . it might yet top out the 100K views.

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
hmm . . . couldn't seem to modify my post above and forgot to put in the bahco thread

Here it is (actually well past the 100K views now and out to 38pages)

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1330842472/0

They are a pretty handy & cheap knife. I dunno bout carrying several knives in the field when one of these will easily do a whole deer and then still give me a good cut after being stupid  Cheesy Sad

However I generally just carry a tiny folding Gerber knife & jewel stik now Does the whole job.

GTalk  
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
creed wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
I dunno bout carrying several knives in the field when one of these will easily do a whole deer and then still give me a good cut after being stupid  Cheesy Sad

One to spread the butter on your bread and mash in the sardines - "Baramenyn" and the other to create havoc with the deer you just shot - "Flewynanhrefn." I called it "Sting" for a bit after being a bit careless, but my dad was a Welshman and I like to keep the faith.

Mostly I just carry the one and that's for if I lose the Gerber - there's more than one of my knives sitting out there.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #18 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 8:39am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:14pm:
creed wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
I dunno bout carrying several knives in the field when one of these will easily do a whole deer and then still give me a good cut after being stupid  Cheesy Sad

One to spread the butter on your bread and mash in the sardines - "Baramenyn" and the other to create havoc with the deer you just shot - "Flewynanhrefn." I called it "Sting" for a bit after being a bit careless, but my dad was a Welshman and I like to keep the faith.

Mostly I just carry the one and that's for if I lose the Gerber - there's more than one of my knives sitting out there.

It's the A and B knife system.  Use the A knife for taking out arseholes and the B knife for buttering your bread.  Don't mix the two.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #19 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Grin
gotcha . . . makes sense then  Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
creed wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Grin

Using one Bahco is questionable. Using two would be downright ridiculous.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  

Only if you're actually shooting deer, in which case I'm carry one Gerber too many  Wink

And MassiveAttack, I didn't know my system had a technical aspect - hell, I didn't even know it was a system  Smiley

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 10:43pm:

Only if you're actually shooting deer, in which case I'm carry one Gerber too many  Wink

And MassiveAttack, I didn't know my system had a technical aspect - hell, I didn't even know it was a system  Smiley

It also has the advantage that you leave the A knife in your daypack you have it and it's still sharp when you shoot your deer.

If you are going to run with a one knife system it's important to go B to A not A to B or B to A and back to B again.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 1:45pm:
If you are going to run with a one knife system it's important to go B to A not A to B or B to A and back to B again.

Jeez - I'm bloody glad I know my alphabet and run with two knives.

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I use a knife made by Ripi Knives, Its made of N690 steel. I have also owned Svords but this is the best knife by far in mop. In the field I just give it a bit of a touch up on a normal steel (not diamond) more out of habit than necessity  and after field dressing and boning out an animal I run it over ceramic rods. Easily does 3 animals without the need for the rods or a stone. I have used a strop to the point where it shaves my arm but find theres  no real need for it to be that sharp.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:15am:
My main knife is a Gerber folder and my back-up Mercator's.
I don't usually do a full butcher out there, but I have - and those knives did it okay.
Dirt and grit on a deer or pigs hide will blunt your knife quicker than anything I know.
And I carry a red Swiss knife in my 'survival' pack because I like the tweezers and toothpick - and I've done a deer with that.

+1 Snap!  Wink Gerber folder = main with Mercator as utility or spare - always together in the pikau with diamond jewelstick.
Bahco in the quad toolbox for when on friendlier ground the quad can get to.
Lansky set at home for re-setting bevels and re-facing if edges become damaged.

IP Logged

kimmi7m08
Just Joined

Reply #26 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
+1 for Mercator. It's done 3 animals over this roar, with nothing more than a quick touch up with a ezi-lap sharpener. Hold a great edge, stays sharp, both knife and ezi-lap weigh nix.  Just got this set up for my young lad who shot his first deer this roar and realises that it's how you use it that's more important than what it looks like.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards