Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shotgun for 11yr old (Read 1284 times)
The Creeper

Shotgun for 11yr old
Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hi all, my son (11 yr old) wants to start busting some clays. Suggestions on what gun to start him with....thinking wooden stocked as would need to shorten slightly.
Any ideas appreciated
Cheers

IP Logged

SP8s_T3.243

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Shotgun for 11yr old
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
May I interest you in a very nice Winchester LW 27 FW U/O with a full set of chokes.

It is a field that's already had the stock cut down for the same reason you're looking at using it for, to teach those nasty little ankle-biters fine young gentlemen interested in shooting and busting some clays.

It also comes with a few recoil pads to lengthen the stock as they grow up.

I'm not sure how old it is, but it's in almost mint condition.  If you're still looking for something, reply and I'll put some pics up for you.

Cheers

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Dont mess about, get him behind a 28gauge, with light loads the recoil is about the same as a .22. the ammo has come way down in price and new guns out of turkey are a reasonable price.
a 28 g will allow him to shoot skeet , sporting and five stand along side anyone using a 12g. they are a good game gun as well.
dont be tempted to go the 410 way, they are an experts gun.
most 12g , even autos , youngsters fine heavy and their arms get tired quickly. Ive been coaching kids for over 40 years and I wish we had 28g back then,. I use them now with all youngsters and small built women .

IP Logged

Arapuni
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Hi Mate, I'm 42 now but I started clay target shooting when I was a similar age and I was a bit of a runt 'around 42 kg" I joined the local club being Putaruru, I was trapper boy and it helped pay the way. My advise is to do the same. Join a club, I would have tried 20 guns and was very average until one day the President "John Coatham" gave me his Duck and Skeet gun to try. It was a 12 g Remington 11/87 Premier with a 26 inch barrel and had a short stock. I shot 49/50 and I first attempt and he parted with it as he could see how much I desired it. I had tried all sorts up until that day and at a far greater cost. I only shot DTL "around 50 clays on club days. That's my two cents "try before you buy" Your local Gun Club members will be more than willing to help find the right gun for your son. Then he can gradually shoot more clays as he gets older and more confident. At the age of 14 I shot at the Nationals in Hamilton and managed to win Single rise DTL  HOA junior with a long run of 187." Not pumping myself up just that a little semi Rem did the job for me". I would have handed it down to my son but I lent it to a mate for duck shooting and someone flogged I. Lesson learnt, I shoot with a miroku now Don't do a lot of shooting now as I have three kids of my own but once there older I be back at the club, Great times. Leon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards