Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do you clean your BP gun (Read 3769 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: How do you clean your BP gun
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Tasbay wrote on Jun 30th, 2018 at 4:25pm:
Had a couple of mine out over the past few months. Took the T/C 50 cal Hawken Wallaby shooting down Cave way, seemed to flatten them! Had the CVA 58 cal out a few times looking for Pigs . Found a few but didn`t get close enough for a shot.
Been waiting for the local range to open 7 days, they have had there issues with forestry logging out back and some Woman moving into the area with the range having been established for 10 odd years, and you can guess she complains to Police, Council and paper about the noise. It was suggested for the guys to pleas use suppressors.... Umm bit hard on a front stuffer.

Am pretty lucky with all that out here - got the BP Range I used to belong to and right next door the Deerstalkers Range - which I now use. Next to that is the Pistol Range and beside that is the Police Range.
With the key I can hop down any time I choose and pretty much shoot whatever I want - 'cept for shotgun which I do in the blackberry patch the other side of the BP range.
Cheap shooting too - NZDA fees are around $60 PA cos I'm old, and the key another $30.
Meet some interesting guns down there too - and people in behind them, lot of AR's these days - think I'm the only bloke shoots black on that range and get an audience when I do - which can be a bit distracting sometimes.

A couple of years back the NZDA crew challenged the BP boys to a shoot-out and got cleaned up - and that despite the modern shooters allowed to use scopes.
They got some really good shooters over there - but an expensive club to belong to - hop over for a chat sometimes.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:50am
Print Post  
that is hilarious...the old school black powder guys with nary a chronograph in sight clean up against the modern gear Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:50am:
that is hilarious...the old school black powder guys with nary a chronograph in sight clean up against the modern gear Grin Grin Grin

Have watched those blokes shoot mate - have spotted for them on the two hundred yard range and they are wizards with those old guns.
They put in the practice though - couldn't afford powder costs alone trying to keep up with them.
Two in that club went to the States a good few years back and borrowed a couple of Kiwi's off the Aussie team to win the team shoot.
Didn't please the home team, they'd held that trophy since they beat the Irish a hundred odd years before.
The Yanks did win it back the following year though.
From memory - that was shooting from 100 yards out to 1,000 or 1,200 yards.
They did that with the 45/70 and BP and I remember one of them telling me at the longer distance the bullet rose 40 feet above the line of sight.

You can hit with those things way out - long as you know the distance, and with that 500+ grain bullet it will still go through most animals.

Not that they'd recommend it.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
When I use  moose milk I make it from Ballistol and water in a 1 part Ballistol to 3 parts water (cold) . I use plumbers hemp 
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/holdfast-1m-plumbers-hemp_p00782336 wrapped around a jag , the tow/hemp acts a scraper and pulls out the fouling very well  , I then wipe the bore and lock etc dry then clean and oil with Eezox . I check it again in a week and if I have done a good job , no further action is needed .

I have known Dutch for 20+ years , his advice is good advice . I have his book in my computer , but as he sells the information I won't give it away as yet . He getting old and his eyesight is getting worse , he was going to re write and refine his book but I am not sure if this can happen now .

I have a large supply of Lehigh Valley Lube I purchased when the inventor was still making it ,He went to Iraq with the US Army and whoever took over the production changed the recipe  I have enough to last the rest of my shooting life , I consider it to be the best patch lube and cleaner available . The inventor  came back  and started making the lube again ,unfortunately he suffered from Post traumatic stress syndrome and gave up making the lube , but Track of the Wolf say the original recipe is being made in small amounts again  , it is worth buying some from Track  if you place an order .

Wipe the oil out of bore with isopropyl alcohol / meths before use , never put a tight dry patch down a muzzle loader or a brass brush , they get stuck  Sad Sad

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #19 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
I have recently started using Dutch`s dry patch formula.
1 part Ballistol 6 parts water. I soak the patch in it and lay it out on tin foil to dry. Patch is dry to the touch but holds enough Ballistol to lubricate and keeps fouling soft. As I hunt with my Muzzleloaders and they may be loaded for a while I like the dry patch idea.
Nice to know Dutch is still around.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Been quite a while since I played with my .54 flint gun - has got a 38" barrel and the 1:66" twist.
I worked up loads with the patched round ball with that using various home made lube concoctions (I like to play) and got it shooting around 3 1/2" at 100 yards, but a tight patch needed the S/S range rod to load.
I also tried Dutch's Ballistol/water dry patch and found them even harder to load - broke two hickory ram rods loading them - so in the interests of easy loading out in the bush I worked up loads with the Lyman 533476 minie.
I paper patched those to a sliding friction fit in the bore and they shot well with anything from 80 to 120grs FFg BP.
Could get three shots such loaded before needing to wipe.
I sat that bullet directly on the powder - the patch tail tucked in the base, no wads, the only lube being Paul Matthews beeswax/vaseline wiped on the patch.
I never had those bullets such loaded move off the powder - and they were very quick and easy to load.
Just looked up my notes - have shot 1 1/4" 3 shot group at 50 yards and 3 1/2" at 100 yards with that bullet over 80 grs FFg.
I also hollow pointed those minie bullets in the lathe with a drill.

I only know of 'Dutch' through the Internet, but my friend had a number of phone conversations with him and said he was very easy to talk to and not shy about passing information.
He did buy 'Dutch's' package re loading, cleaning and passed on some of that info to me, which I have no qualms about - I spent a year building his bloody gun.

My current toy is my 1:48" twist Snider - and has that given me some headaches.
Shoots the .600" round ball very nicely out to 50 yards, don't think I've tried it at 100 yards (?), but I've got it in my head I want to shoot a heavier HP bullet out of it.
Don't know how many moulds I've made for that - and scrapped. The heavier bullets shoot quite well to 50 yards but only with miniscule loads of 45 to 50 grs of powder.
Those bullets were in the vicinity of 560 up to 811 grns and were giving quite a stout shove when I upped the powder charge to find the next 'sweet spot'.
Have got a Lee minie mould for that now I opened out to drop bullets at .605" diam, then paper patched to .612".
I shot them at that diameter, but last week made a sizer to shrink them back to .600" diam, but have yet to play with them down the range.

Yeah - enjoying that gun a lot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards