Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lost dog behaviour (Read 2358 times)
Wino

To the hills.....

Lost dog behaviour
Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,  I was out with the wife and her beloved "pet" dog on Sunday on a casual hunt.  The dog bolted at the sound of the gun and can't be found.  Its in Marlborough hill country so mostly open country but a fair way back in to the hills. 
Question is what do dogs generally do once they are bushwacked?  I've been in there  Monday morning and afternoon and I'm sure it would have come when we whistled, so I can only assume its gone a long way.  do they generally head for civilization? or just wander around. 
I know its a generalization and dogs will be different.  Just thought that there would be some guys that have trackers on their dogs that would show what they get up to when lost?

Looking forward to getting out of the dog house.

Cheers

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Re: Lost dog behaviour
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Wow bummer. I'm assuming it had never heard a gunshot before ? Every dog is different so know way to know what it would have done. Did you go for a look today as well ? Are you hoping to find it yourself or are you planning on giving a description of it and where it was when you last saw it.
They will only head for "civilization" if they know where that is. Otherwise it might just wander along side a river or on a track.
Good luck to the dog

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
depends on the dog......
a lot of hunters dogs will head back to where they last saw "the boss" and a swannie left where wagon was will keep dog there for pick up.
I found a poodle while out shooting along a beach strip...he was just standing amoung the logs very lost and unhappy,he came for hunt with me then came home
that dog had traveled about 2km along the beach from where it was lost 2 weeks before,past a busy roadend.
keep going back and put description of dog and a phone number at all road ends nearby and call into all nearby houses.
good luck.

IP Logged

Wino

To the hills.....

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Cheers for the responses. 

I've been back again and have left a jersey in a few locations.  I've also notified all of the neighbors around.  I'll head there again tomorrow. 

I think it was that freaked out that by the time it stopped running it had no idea where it was.  There have been fencers driving close by the last few days and they have been whistling too.  Hopefully hunger will drive her to a house somewhere. 

Anyway if anyone is driving near Ward and they see a Blue Cattle dog cross let me know.

Cheers

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
I have lost more dogs than you can shake a stick at. As Mickey and Rugerman have already said every dog is different.

I lost a dog for two days in the ureweras, I twice walked a large circle around where we lost her and then a mate picked her up almost exactly where she had disappeared. Basically she had hunkered down and hadn't moved or come to the whistle.
Another time I lost my GSP when she decided to chase a pig with one of my pigdogs. I left a shirt out and went back in the morning, the pigdog was asleep on the shirt but no sign of the GSP. I started walking the track, along the river and up the road. Then I saw the GSP running flat out. I reckon she had run all night.

From the sounds of things you are doing everything right. Don't give up, your dog is out there somewhere. Walking as well as talking to neighbours and other forest users is the right way to go. Laminated notes on gates is a good idea. Facebook is also a good tool.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
I heard (probably on here) of a bloke that lost his dog, so he left his swanny by where his ute had been parked.
Came back next day and swanny was gone. Thieving bastards!
Left some dog biscuits and went home.
Came back next day and biscuits were gone again.
Had a look over a bank and there was the dog, sitting on his swanny 😂

IP Logged

Hogdog123
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Follow the paw prints from where you last saw it until you start seeing lots of fresh paw prints in both directions.
It knows that you are in the area.
The dog will be nesting somewhere out of the wind and ranging out to look for you in a couple of directions going backwards and forwards from it's nest which makes a well used dog trail to see. It could have mistakenly gone down into a neighbouring watershed but likely to be on the main ridgeline and not know what spur to go down.
Try to start searches from the same place you lost the dog so all your scent leads back there. It might be easier to drive around for a walk up another watershed but then you have to keep going back there too. The dog might find that scent in a day or two.
It might have been too many days now for any constant "Where are you?" howling but you still might be able to hear howling at feeding time or getting dark.
Or somebody else now has your dog.

IP Logged

Hogdog123
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Its easier to find a dog in the bush rather than finding the people who have taken it away.
Contact the local dog pound and also pounds in other regions. Dogs can end up on the other side of the country and get picked up while trying to get home again. Or someone took the dog home and notified their local pound instead.
Newspaper notices have good reach - again extend further than the local paper. NZ herald goes all over the country.
Start a search party beginning with local farmers and residents by letting them know your dog is missing and you are trying to find it. Exchange phone numbers and keep in regular contact for any updates. Even with no update but the search is still on.
When the dog is found contact everyone on your list and call your search off.

I am not proud to be repeatedly told that I am the only one who has ever returned saying my dog has been found.
I feel it is better to keep in contact and have farmers minds at ease that don't know me. That I haven't abandoned a dog that could be out there worrying sheep.
It's really interesting what you later find out though.
A farmer told me he had driven right out to the back of his station just to get his huntaways barking to help me find my dogs. If I hadn't got back to him after I had found them then I wouldn't have ever known that. I thanked him without telling him my dogs don't go to other dogs barking. But it was very nice of him though and very very highly appreciated.
Another farmer asked me if I wanted to hunt the pigs on his farm after I got back to him that I had found my dog.

I will leave a jersey when I decide to go in the middle of the night to quickly return with any needed supplies or going to see the farmers the next day before I head back into the bush. I will put the jersey out of sight into the bush a bit so the dog has somehere safe to wait.
I do not take any other dogs with me on searches because I am looking for paw prints.
The prints on rock are the lines of scratch marks.

IP Logged

Wino

To the hills.....

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Thanks for the ideas guys.  Still no dog  Embarrassed

I've done pretty much everything said here.  Still trying though.  Heading out again this arvo.

Cheers

IP Logged

Wino

To the hills.....

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Found the dog!!!
Got a call on Saturday morning.  Two weeks in the hills and she'd gone quite a way.  About 10km.
Found when a vineyard worker went to work and she was sitting under a tractor. 

Great to be out of the dog box.  Now I can get out and go hunting and not feel like a bastard for losing the wife's pet.  Needless to say, Pepe will be staying at home!

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
That's awesome news Wino  Cheesy. I would say maybe you are still in the dog house and the dog is in the people house for a while  Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
great news bud.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Great out come!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards