Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) The Whakatipu Whitetail Herd (Read 4177 times)
avon_7
Forum Senior

The Whakatipu Whitetail Herd
Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I have seen photos of 3 big bucks taken out of this area by overseas hunters this year. All in velvet over hard antler. All taken before they have a chance to breed this year. The method seems to be to glass and spot on the tops and shoot them out in the open.

My understanding was that the Whakatipu herd is in low numbers and is extremely vulnerable. I don't know how many more big trophies can be taken before it reaches the point where it can't recover. There are at least two Hunting guides doing Whitetail hunts on DOC land in the area as well

Is the herd in as bad state as I have been informed is there actually good numbers of them? Is it time for a moratorium.

Id love to hunt there for a trophy but I don't want to have anything to do with it if the herd is in serious trouble.

A friend of mine is an Australian trophy hunter. I mentioned it would be a sad state of affairs if the Whakatipu herd was wiped out. He said that it would only be the same as Black Buck being wiped out in Australia. ( meaning they are introduced so who cares )
I was frankly quite shocked by his comment because like many Aussie hunters he has no knowledge or interest in the history and preservation of the herd other than taking a NZ Whitetail trophy being another box to tick. What hope is there with this attitude being so pervasive?

Interested in informed constructive comment..

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

Dangershaw

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The Whakatipu Whitetail Herd
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Really interested in this thread too, am seeing an increasing amount of material on social media sites which does very little to disguise the precise locations being hunted.

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Yes the ones i have seen have all been on Facebook, giving away locations etc. I expect next year there will be an influx of Aussie hunters heading to Queenstown..

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

scotty162

wandering the ureweras
since 1992

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I see Jim shockey is in whakatipu hunting whitetail at the moment

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
The Herd is in a shit state, we couldn't even capture enough whitetail to collar in the monitored area during the recent 1080 drop.  We local hunters pay money out of our own pocket to try to monitor and look after whitetail.  Overseas hunters should be restricted from hunting whitetail and charged for any other hunting in NZ, end of story.  The sooner we clamp down on all foreign hunters on public land the better.  These tourists contribute nothing on public land, be nice to see them held accountable.  Next step would be to sort out a few poaching locals in the Wakatipu area.
I won't shoot any whitetail theres just not enough of them left. 

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
scotty162 wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:12pm:

The useless prick that runs down tahr in a  helicopter?  yep the one and the same.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
scotty162 wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:12pm:

Yes - not sure his guide did Jim or the herd any favours. Maybe the guide knows better than me though:

https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/photos/a.200329673350359.47685.171249...

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Bit of a gun that Jim Shocking I reckon Grin Grin
A nice sized Buck body wise,pity about the head.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Dangershaw

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Just as an aside - we made a decision as a group quite a while back that we would never film a Hunters Club episode targeting mainland Whitetail, despite a few of our guys having a great deal of experience and knowledge of the area.

Even if we took more of an educational angle (as we did with the Wapiti ep) we feel that any additional exposure for the herd would  be detrimental to it's overall health.

In light of what's been shared around on Social Media recently, we might look at filming a clip to post online about the fragility of the herd, targeting overseas hunters looking to come to our shores and bowl over a NZ buck, as it seems to me that there's not a lot of messaging in place to educate non-locals.

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Apparently from the eye witness report I was given there are a heap of does and fawns it's the bucks that are getting a hammering. And not just by overseas hunters either!
The aussie who made the stupid black buck comment needs a clip behind the ear and told to wake up and stop being so selfish Angry

IP Logged

Bow Stalker
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I've seen the recent post on social media of the overseas dude with the whitetail buck. I was really pissed off to see as I bet 30min on Google earth the location can be found. Its been a dream of mine to one day hunt Whakatipu whitetail but thought I'd do in once the herd stabilises, that's if it every does. I'm starting to think everyone is going to miss out on this opportunity within the next 5 years.

I bet with the social media attention there is going to be an influx of hunters going to wipe these guys out over the next couple of years - bucks anyway.

Does anyone know if legally the herd could be protected? The place should be closed down to hunting, once stabilised a ballot system implemented to manage buck kills for the long term survival. Wouldn't this be a good one for the GAC to manage?

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this post is publicly available for view but did you mean this one?

https://www.facebook.com/john.calleja.31/media_set?set=a.10155019261855275.10737...

The Aussie hunting mentality is very different to the NZ version. Wild game are ' Feral Animals ' and there to be shot on site. Iv'e seen many cases of deer shot in Australia and zero meat utilised. This is common. There are also some very ethical hunters in Aus but they tend to be the exception rather than the norm.

What surprises me the most about Aussie hunters is the sheer lack of knowledge of NZ hunting history considering NZ is just a short hop from Australia.
As an example. Many of my Aussie mates honestly think that the huge Estate Red stag's and Elk that get shot are fair chase animals and that is a representation of NZ hunting.
I honestly believe it would be for the best if Foreign Nationals were excluded from hunting DOC land. They don't contribute anything and they don't understand the history and culture of NZ hunting. Many also arrive unprepared for NZ conditions yet they have taken prime Tahr or Wapiti ballot blocks and end up wasting the opportunity because it was too wet and their tent leaked etc, so they pulled out early.

IP Logged

Bow Stalker
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Some good points but I disagree that NZ should ban tourist hunters from public land, that doesn't solve the problem. There are some really skilled diy hunters heading to NZ to hunt our public land - good for them for making the effort. I hunt overseas on public land, if I was stopped to hunt somewhere based on where I was born that would be horrible. Comes down to how it is managed by us.

Maybe a ballot tag system based on herd numbers - 80% to Kiwis, 20% to tourists.  This works well in the US for herd management and hunting opportunities.

Good discussion mate.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Saw that image posted too.  Increasingly we are seeing animals taken in velvet which means they are targeted at the most vulnerable stage of the year and are not leaving their genetics because they are being taken before the rut.  For the Wakatipu herd this is very disturbing given the precarious state the herd is in and the fact there is an active research project going on there.  I don't want to crucify this guy but his actions clearly demonstrate a lack of knowledge and a somewhat bloody minded entitlement to take what he wants.  A moratorium will only be ask strong as the will of the hunting population to protect this herd but it would be a start.

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Bow Stalker wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 12:27pm:
I've seen the recent post on social media of the overseas dude with the whitetail buck. I was really pissed off to see as I bet 30min on Google earth the location can be found. Its been a dream of mine to one day hunt Whakatipu whitetail but thought I'd do in once the herd stabilises, that's if it every does. I'm starting to think everyone is going to miss out on this opportunity within the next 5 years.

I bet with the social media attention there is going to be an influx of hunters going to wipe these guys out over the next couple of years - bucks anyway.

Does anyone know if legally the herd could be protected? The place should be closed down to hunting, once stabilised a ballot system implemented to manage buck kills for the long term survival. Wouldn't this be a good one for the GAC to manage?

I take your point but if a kiwi goes to Australia to hunt Hog deer can they just shoot any hog they see? No they have to apply for a ballot as the herd are managed. If you go to the states to hunt Elk can you just shoot  as many Elk as you like? No once again they are managed.

However any bloke from the US or Australia  that can use a PC can suss out the Whakatipu herd and head over here and shoot anything they want until they are all gone or the herd is completely Foo Barred.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards