Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic landowner dramas and the surprise chamois buck (Read 2284 times)
rooshoot
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

landowner dramas and the surprise chamois buck
Mar 20th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
This is a hunting story and maybe a bit of a rant at the same time.  I've been revving up for the roar like most of you.  Last week I did considerable research into a new hunting area.  I discovered a public easement up a creek bed which after a mere 5km flat walk would take me into a primo doc block.  I rang the landowner to hopefully arrange a friendly agreement.  When I told him the area I wanted access into he said that "the access into that block is the such and such river."  And I said "yeah but the such and such river is a 23km walk but the such and such creek is only 5km."  Then he said "yeah but some guys went up that way recently and wished they hadnt because the climb is so hard."  I knew he was lying and I also called his bluff on several other fibs he tried telling me to get me to change my plans.  Eventually he reluctantly agreed to let me go up the particular creek, but he wanted to know when I'd be there and that I was definately not going to drive up the creek.  I told him my plans and reassured him that we would walk.
  I felt uneasy about this guy and even suggested to my hunting mate that we go somewhere else and go in another time without telling him.  Anyway we decided that it would be fine and so we decided to go. 
  After a 3.5 hour drive and the 5 km walk up the creek, what do you know we came to a vehicle parked in the creek bed with an empty rifle case in the back.  Carrying on into the public land with plenty of "that morning" fresh deer sign on the ground we decided that he must have gone up a side creek as we couldnt see boot marks on the ground.  20 minutes later that optimistic thinking was shattered by a gunshot followed by another half dozen in the following 10 minutes!!  Thanks mister landowner!! Great way to foster positive relationships with hunters!!!  The positive was that we now had an idea of where the other guy was and luckily we had already peeled off into a different creek head.  We carried on.  After climbing high and travelling along a ridge for a while my mate says to me "I can't believe we havent seen a chamois yet"  To which I replied "there's one right there, as one appeared right under the ridge we were on!!!  Immediately I saw good length in his hooks but he was on the move and it was time to assess him on the deck!!  After fumbling with my scope to get it off 3 power and some slow trigger work I missed my first chance and the buck lazily trotted into the gut under us and out of sight.  I knew our chances were still very high.  My mate started moving down straight on top of him while I started heading around the ridge to get a view of possible escape routes.  As I moved round the ridge the cham reappeared and a shot to the shoulder at around 200m put him down on the spot.  Photos, skullcap off and meat and we were on our way to look for a stag.  By late afternoon prospects were not good, with no deer seen and no sign up high only about a zillion goats!!!  So after carting gear for 3 days around the hill all day it was decided to head for home.  12:30 pm we made it home after 7 hours of driving and 11 hours/20kms walk.  Annoyed but not defeated!!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: landowner dramas and the surprise chamois buck
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
bit of a drama alright,at least you got a chammy to take home.

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
awesome result, was it the land owner or one of his mates??

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
one of his mates I think.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Nice Chamois all the same, well done

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Nice chamois, how long were the horns?

Some of these farmers aren't the best communicators, that might be why he  diddn't just tell you the other guy was going to be in there. Could be worth asking him if he knows if anyone else will be in there next time you go in. I always like to get on the front foot with people like that, drop him a dozen beer and see if his perceived attitude changes, it must be a pain in the arse dealing with a whole lot of strangers over the phone.

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Often have people wanting to access the river on the farm at home and can be a real pain. Even if it is public access it's a much better idea to be onside with the farmer, can make life easier. Can they are more likely to help with a tow if you get stuck somewhere too.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Craigc wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:59am:
Nice chamois, how long were the horns?

Some of these farmers aren't the best communicators, that might be why he  diddn't just tell you the other guy was going to be in there. Could be worth asking him if he knows if anyone else will be in there next time you go in. I always like to get on the front foot with people like that, drop him a dozen beer and see if his perceived attitude changes, it must be a pain in the arse dealing with a whole lot of strangers over the phone.

Yeah....its (usually) always useful to be courteous and considerate ..... but it can also be a fine line, and imo not  a desirable outcome if there is  a public access easement but the cocky is given cause to think the public need his permission to use it.

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
yeah I have a great relationship with another landowner who lets me access a doc block thru his property.  I always drop him a box of beers or some produce when I come but this guy was a tool from the get go.  He didnt forget to let me know that someone was in there but rather, he jacked it up so that someone was in there before us as far as I could tell.  And in this case I wasnt going thru his property but using a public easement.

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
the horns were just on 9 inches.  Good length but lacking in the hooks slightly.

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a good example for the Canterbury Region Access Group with your issue with public easement? Check this out by contacting a Canterbury NZDA club in your area.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:26am
Print Post  
rooshoot wrote on Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:35pm:
yeah I have a great relationship with another landowner who lets me access a doc block thru his property.  I always drop him a box of beers or some produce when I come but this guy was a tool from the get go.  He didnt forget to let me know that someone was in there but rather, he jacked it up so that someone was in there before us as far as I could tell.  And in this case I wasnt going thru his property but using a public easement.

That seems a bit of a stretch that he's made sure someone else was there before you? More likely didn't have a clue anyone else was there. Nice buck anyway

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Does seem a little odd or suspicious about the half dozen rifle shots over a ten minute period when the land owner knows you're hunting in the area and didn't seem overly happy about it. Maybe just coincidence I don't know. Well done on the chamois. It didn't work out too bad in the end even though you missed out on getting a stag.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:42pm by Allizdog »  

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Kaboomfa wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:26am:
That seems a bit of a stretch that he's made sure someone else was there before you? More likely didn't have a clue anyone else was there. Nice buck anyway

The fact that he was parked up the creek tells me that he had permission to be there (from the landowner)

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
If he's going to play those games, then just don't tell him you'll be going in there and just GO!
If your using a "Paper Road" or URL then there should be no need to "ask" or tell" him, if he tries to stuff your chances up
It's only a courtesy thing that you let him know

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards