Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Vizsla bullmastiff cross (Read 412 times)
crunch

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Vizsla bullmastiff cross
Mar 19th, 2017 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Anyone reckon a vizsla bullmastiff cross would be alright for deer or would they be to clumsy and noisey in the bush? I seen some pups for sale mums is a vizsla dad a bullmastiff.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Vizsla bullmastiff cross
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
interesting combo......probably easier/safer options out there. at end of day its you that will have to feed/house/train and look after dog for next 12 years so its you that will know what you happy with,also what you expect dog to do. I mean if you want pooch for company that will stay at heel,maybe show interest if something close and find downed animal anything from dashound to st bernard would fit the bill,as to how quiet it will be???? that depands on the dog , how hyper it is plays a big part too.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Had a Bull Mastiff growing up.  Great nature but prone to hip and elbow issues.  Might come on quick with extensive outings in the hills.  The dogs best asset was looking tough but was better suited to sleeping.  Might not be the best worker.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

The grass is always greener..

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Better to buy a dog that has more promising hunting traits than a stab in the dark.. Good posts above say it all.

Starting out with a dog that doesnt live up to your goals and expectations would prove very frustrating, especially if its becoming part of the family and you decide you dont really want it or have to give up your plans for the dog. Heartbreak and strife are on the horizon.

Get yourself something , cross or pure, that has the best chance, with the appropriate work, that will live up to your hopes and expectations. Dont make it diffucult for yourself. Load the odds in your favour.. Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Visla Mastiff cross will shiver, whine, be clumsy, slobber AND flap it's ears. The deer will never hear YOU coming  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

keepnzforall

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
i would go for a heading type dog for your first mut, mine in strong eyex collie  and is coming along well. find one off a station or farm not somones pets, try and find the most relaxed chilled puppy you can thats from good breeding. you could go the vizla route great hunting dogs, but there pussys and  take alittle more time and patients to train. my two cents anyways,

IP Logged

wanakahunter
Donor Member

When there is lead in
the air, there is hope

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Mastiffs are a low exercise breed meaning they will get tired quite quickly especially in terrain that we hunt in. Vizslas are very high energy breed but i think for hunting you will want as high energy as you can handle. Vizslas are good but they require a lot of training and exercise daily. Heading dogs are a great option for hunting as are germans and vizslas if you have the time and commitment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards