Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic intro to gunshot-looking for property near Tauranga (Read 7524 times)
7mil Jim

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

intro to gunshot-looking for property near Tauranga
Mar 14th, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Hi All,
I'm hoping to find a farm/property/area to do introduction to gunshot with my dog in the BOP region. The closer to Tauranga/Mount the better but willing to travel. I'd ideally do a gun session once a fornight for about 2 months.
If you can help or know someone how may, please let me know.
The dog is safe around stock and has all his jabs.
I have a firearms license and would be using a .22
Cheers
Jim

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: intro to gunshot-looking for property near Tauranga
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Find out where your local gun club is and when they are shooting. Drive about a km away or so you can just hear the shooting and slowly walk the dog towards the club chatting to it and giving it a bit of distraction. If the dog shows nervousness distract it with a bumper or walk it away from the club... repeat walking back to club, reassuring the dog that all is ok. It took my dog hour or so until i was at the club and she was watching the targets thinking this is good stuff.

IP Logged

Winded
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Some excellent thinking, Salmoner!  Wink Nice one

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:26am:
Find out where your local gun club is and when they are shooting. Drive about a km away or so you can just hear the shooting and slowly walk the dog towards the club chatting to it and giving it a bit of distraction. If the dog shows nervousness distract it with a bumper or walk it away from the club... repeat walking back to club, reassuring the dog that all is ok. It took my dog hour or so until i was at the club and she was watching the targets thinking this is good stuff.

+1 that's how I was shown.

If you have a feeling your dog tends to be nervous maybe start with the bumper, have the dog distracted as the noise is introduced.  The gun club idea in the distance is gold.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 5:44am
Print Post  
I never had a gundog that was in any way gunshy , they were all introduced to the shot when exciting things like thrown bumpers or shot ducks were being retrieved by another dog . That was until my latest Springer , he came with me on my job ,shooting tweety birds in the vineyard, along with my old dog when he was about 6 months old , riding on the back of the quad .
I shot a rabbit and the old dog went to fetch it ,I then found the pup had curled up in the grass shaking in fear .
I then took the dogs to an area with a covey of about 30 quail in it , the pup got the bird scent in his nose and off he went , hunting happily, so I then took the dogs to a slope covered in long grass and threw a bumper and sent them both , then fired a shot (12ga) the pup was too busy hunting ( following the old dog) to take any notice , so I did it a few more times with out a problem ,
He is now 8 and has had thousands of shots fired near him and is absolutely steady to shot .

My problem was I didn't think that he would react that way Embarrassed, he had been sitting in the back of the ute for 5 days with my old dog , with bangers and shotguns going off in the distance which didn't seem to worry him . I now think he never saw that rabbit run and get shot , all he heard was a loud scary bang .

I believe taking a pup to a gun club or rifle range, where it can't be allowed to run around or be distracted by a bumper or something else and there is an excessive amount of noise , is a mistake and can overawe the dog , I have seen that all too often , the owner standing there with earmuffs on , wondering why the pup is pulling back on the lead .

I believe the association with the bang and fun is essential to the training of the dog , and having an older more experienced dog along is also a help .

So the idea of training well away from, but increasingly closer to, the bangs from a gun club certainly has its merit , good idea .

I think a Retriever Trainer firing 22 blanks to launch a dummy is a good idea , use an assistant to hand throw the dummy a few times then get him/her to fire the dummy at a distance while you control the dog.

Never throw a dummy then fire a blank in a public park where there are other people and dogs about . A mate of mine did it ,at a dog training meeting on Mt Eden ,to train his Vizla , there were 2 dogs left in the area a few seconds later Grin Grin Grin

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 12:36am
Print Post  
all good sound advice above

heres my sure fire way (excuse the pun), I have fixed some real gun shy dogs with this method, sometimes a gun shy dog has more issue than just the gun shot however

slow and steady

hot barrels

from http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1376368681/25#25

trusty222 wrote on Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:06pm:
I have always introduced, loud noisey things to the pups at a young age, quads, helicopters, rifles shots etc.

I always have them on a lead and have them a good distance form the noise source, to judge there reaction 1st up, I do not focus on the noise myself and therefore a lot of the time the dog isn't worried about. If its OK with it then move a bit closer, if not OK then move with them away until they are comfortable, take the training in small steps. Slowly decrease the distance to the noise source until they are happy being right amongst the situation. I don't pressure them into a situation that may bugger them up. Always have the pup on a lead during the training.

Rifle training, I have just used a 222 (unsuppressed in the early days and suppressed now), no 22s, cap guns etc, I walk the pup on a lead to one end of the paddock and then get a mate to fire a few rounds at the other end (aprx 100m away), I ignore the shots and look for the pups reactions, if its ok with it we close the gap a bit and repeat the rifle shots, over a few days or so the pup is usually happy around the rifle, I also have a trained dog with me as the pups look to them for a lead.

I have sorted gunshy pups (very quickly) by getting my dogs with a gunshy dog (again on a lead) and doing the above distance method, get all the dogs playing and then get a mate to fire a round off (again 50 to 100m away), the shy dogs looks to the others and sees (if they even notice it) that they are not affected by the rifle shot, keep the dogs playing and occupied, repeat the shot but closer. Repeat this as long as the pup is happy, do this over a few sessions if required, eventually taking the lead off when the pup is confident and happy in the situation.
This takes the gun shy pups attention away from the impending shot by letting it interact with my dogs and there confidence grows quickly.

Training a pup to deal with new situations, noise, bush experiences (rivers, helis, swing bridge etc), I have found is to introduce pups to it early and slowly and do not apply too much pressure to them until they can handle it, I have had great success with this type of introduction/training and no problems that need to be corrected down the track

The easiest way to correct any problem is not to let it develope in the first place

Hope this is some help

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
www.instagram.com/trusty_222/
IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
A distraction of any sort is the answer , whether it is food ,play or another dog , and keep the noise down at the start , clapping hands over feeding puppy is a start  . I am lucky enough to have the room to train the dog without the neighbours complaining .

My dogs never worry about loud bangs at Guy Fawkes time ,but the high pitched squealy screamers  are likely upset them .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 6:22am
Print Post  
You could just turn on the telly quietly and have the dog kenneled near it for a while. Plenty of gunshots going on there and no consequences for the dog.. Gunshots become background noise.

Not too loud though.. dogs are pretty sensitive obviously.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards