Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Good finder ,poor stopper.possibly boar shy (Read 813 times)
Adrian
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Good finder ,poor stopper.possibly boar shy
Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for abit of help with a 3/4 year old dog that I've got.
Over the last few months my "main" has gone complenty soft on me.
He's got no problem finding pigs but on the big hogs he's having issues pulling them up.
Lastnight him and a mates dog where out  on the find and they ran into a 160lb boar,he bailed briefly and then the pig broke and he came running back to the quad,leaving the other dog on the pig on her own.which almost killed her.
This sort of thing has happened 3 times over the last 3 months and I'm getting really over it.
He's a bailer by nature and has been run with holders lately to see if that help.

Looking for advice or tips on how to train a dog to get it stopping pigs again.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Good finder ,poor stopper.possibly boar shy
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
sounds to me like he has lost his nerve/confidence.....
maybe try for some easy/smaller pigs and build it back up...also maybe another bailing dog would "gel" better than boffhead holders.
if he has been given a hard time by pig before mates arrived he might get more confidence with a running mate rather than find,hollar and wait wait wait for the meat heads to turn up and start a scrap  Vs find hollar and work pig to control it to stay put till you turn up to shoot it.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
also how did the single dog nearly get killed by doing it alone????? and isnt that just the very thing you that could be/ has been cause of you recent troubles???

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:09am
Print Post  
walking helps, ive found dogs give up easier if they hear ute/quad, do the hard yards with your dogs and they work harder for you.

did the dog get a hiding from a pig when it changed? or just start going soft.
id go find a patch with a few 80lb running around and chase them for a few months to do as mickx duck said and build confidence and maybe get it back bailing before chasing the big hogs

IP Logged

Adrian
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:59am
Print Post  
He got a small rip in the shoulder early last winter but went on to catch a few good pigs after that.
He has no problem catch the 70/100lb on his own.
The other dog nearly got killed because she was left holding the pig on her own while mine ran back to the quad
Gonehunting your right about dogs giving up when they here the bike,noticed that with him early last year .but that wasn't the reason he came back this time.

Would using a large teaming boar help get his confidence back?

IP Logged

Pighunter Al
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't recommend a large training boar, you could well find yourself in court.
Find a good running mate for your dog so when they hit the pig there are two dogs together or very close by. It's like a smal human picking a scrap with a real big guy, you are more likely to have a go if you have a mate with you.
Takes a pretty good dog to keep a 160lb boar under control until the meat heads arrive, in my humble opinion.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
There can be so many reasons why a dog will do this. My first question is how much greyhound does your dog have in it. I have seen a few greyhound cross dogs do this. I had a greyhound cross that caught heaps of pigs with a good pack mate. When that dog got injured he carried on as main dog for six months no problems till he got one small rip on his arse (first rip) from a boar. From that moment on he was yellow on good pigs and while finding like stink would bail good pigs for a short time then come off. I recently had my main dog who would catch anything and bail for ever start coming off pigs. I had started a young dog with him that was going down and flying in to the pig at the bail, having a punch up, losing and losing the pig. My main started coming off after a short bail. I got rid of the young dog and things quickly went back to normal. My main could not see the point of sticking it out if the young dog was only going to stuff it up. Really interesting. For a mature dog to start doing it there will be a reason. One is the mix of dogs you use is wrong for him. Two he was always yellow but it has only recently come out. One of the biggest mistakes I see pig hunters making is chopping and changing their team too much or chopping and changing with mates dogs too much. Your dog needs a routine with the same dogs he can trust every time. Do that and stick with it. Sometime putting the dog in with tough dogs for a while can really help too. Depends on why the dog is doing it in the first place. Don't go with a training boar. They are schooled up and may do more mental damage instead of help it. As someone said. Hunt easy smaller pigs for the winter. Think like you are starting out a young dog.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Sounds like your mates dog needs to have a meathead running with it, not a bailer.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
in my humble opinion any dog who decides its a good idea to hold a 160 lb pig on its own without the boss there telling it to do so has a kangaroo loose in the top paddock!!!!!!
back before tracking collars that dog would get killed really quick as you wouldnt know where it was.
sure if you are there and give it the command to do so and are prepared to get in and give it a hand...even then thats a plurry big ask for a single dog.
one of the dogs I hunted with as a young fella was a big huntaway who bailed everything and would back off if any sized pig moved towards him...he got ripped twice early on ,side of coozer then end of coozer....both times he was lucky and the pencil never got broke just the outer...but he was very weary after that...didnt stop him finding and bailing a lot of pigs.
give your dog a break mate, its a hard task and everyone has bad spells, take the pressure off and see what happens when you do.
did you dog have a pig bailed and no help arrive??? the time it got ripped????

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
you say your dog has no issue with 80/100lb pigs on its own......faaark man 99% of guys would call that as it is a plurry good dog,the 160lb boar is twice that big,thus the reason it wouldnt be wise to hold it for any length of time without help,and a 2nd bailing dog ISNT help to a holder other than to keep noise up to let you find where they are.
again mate just give dog a break and take pressure off and see what happens.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

AKA LAMBCHOP

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Adrian wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:59am:
Would using a large teaming boar help get his confidence back?

I presume you mean training boar?

Not sure how chasing a pig in a sty will help anything.

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Agree Porkchop. Todays modern type hunters seem to think that by chucking a dog in a pig pen is going to make him a wonderdog . Actually teaching it to find a pig out in its own environment is the major task.
As for the dog in question coming off the pig , i would give him a spell off the pigs for a while . Later on he may change .Or even try running it with different dogs for a while .
All i know is that you need a whole lot of patience with pigdogs..

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
The dog has gone totally boar shy ,even to the level that involes  leaving the scap when there is a second dog there= he will be even more boar shy alone ,nomally with this type of behavoiur its a couple of quick barks at the boar to get it moving and one that nomaly ends without any result ,thats because the dog doesnt really want to catch up .I havnt seem many dogs come "right" & I will cut to the chase, hes not possibly boar shy he IS.Pighunting involes running a team of dogs,any weak links lets the whole team down and effects the results hugely much like a crook scope on a deer rifle.I have a mate in canterbury who has been running a boar  shy dog for 12 months ,it hasnt resulted  in any big boars killed but a huge number chased ,hunt after hunt even when I went out and viewed the dog on a hunt and gave several warnings about the dog 9 months ago .The owner wouldnt except the dog boar shy and gave a HUGE number of reasons and excuses however after yet another hunt filled with a couple of long range chases he tells me he now excepts the dog is doing nothing more than chasing the pig way.

IP Logged

Adrian
Just Joined

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
So the dogs been out twice this week,caught a 112lb boar at a dump,had it bailed in the creek for 20min till we got there and caught another 100lb boar this morning and 70/80lb sow.

Ran him with my pup who's seen 5 pigs now so she's pretty green.he had no problem with either pigs.

Still got no idea why he came off the big hog last week.

Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for your comments lads

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
fingers crossed you on right track now.....
Winkmaybe he got pissed off with holders?????

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Adrian wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 10:51am:
So the dogs been out twice this week,caught a 112lb boar at a dump,had it bailed in the creek for 20min till we got there and caught another 100lb boar this morning and 70/80lb sow.

Ran him with my pup who's seen 5 pigs now so she's pretty green.he had no problem with either pigs.

Still got no idea why he came off the big hog last week.

Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for your comments lads

Was it just him and the pup?

IP Logged

Adrian
Just Joined

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Yea.9month old bitch

IP Logged

keepnzforall

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
ditch your mates meat heads, think about it, your having a nice chat with somone e.g. bailing. so monkeys come along and start a fight most of us are going to go fuk that, enjoy the scrap im going home. i emagine if your dog has half a brain its proberbly thinking this

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards