Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kayak Fishing? (Read 1361 times)
ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Kayak Fishing?
Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Who else fishes Fresh and Salt water from a Kayak?

Any advice?

I'm new to it, havent been in a Kayak in years, so will start on South Canty lakes on good days, and maybe after time will head out into the sea.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Kayak Fishing?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I currently use a 3.1 metre sit on kayak designed for fishing. Weighs about 24-25 kg. Mainly used for trout fishing in the Canterbury lakes and occasionally up at Kaikoura sea fishing. The choice of type is huge, so many different configurations but the sit on kayak is very popular nowadays - they are generally wider than the sit in types, which makes them more stable. But expect to get a bit wet as you are more exposed to the elements. I sometimes wear leggings. I also find i can load up the sit on type, including my hunting pack & tent for overnight trips or take a dry bag. My kayak is an Aussie import complete with many fishing accessories, NZ made obviously good quality but you pay alot more for them and they don't come with many accessories - you have to pay more again (a few want extra $$ for the seat - tight buggers) Check out TM for second hand. Smiley

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
If you are sea fishing make sure you have stuff secured. Its very easy to tip out when you are coming back into shore and you don't want to be looking around in the surf for your knife and rod etc.. (sea fishing)  I have one I use it for soft baiting up North. I keep things pretty minimalist. Catch bag on a rope, knife on a belt along with fluorocarbon leader. A bag or two of softbaits and some jig heads.  Great fun and good exercise.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

kea999
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Wouldn't recommend sit in unless you are already competent in a sit in you really need to be able to roll for self rescue . So would suggest a sit on around 4.5 mtr nz made vessel keep equiptment to a minimum and leash anything to kayak you don't want to lose two rods max , always wear flotation device , carry communication device , practice tipping out and getting back in , wear appropriate clothing for sun and cold protection  . Don't go out in any sort of white capping conditions until you are very experienced  stay safe

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. I was thinking the simple type Catch 290, NZ made.

I'll prob at this stage only use it for Lake fishing/trolling etc in Canterbury, but once get confidence may use around Timaru/Oamaru to see what I can catch in the sea. But wont be going out in marginal conditions.

I have a Spot tracker for work, so will use that and will definately invest in a life jacket.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Depending on your budget there are American Made boats from Jackson Kayaks sold through Long Cloud Kayaks .ChCh.  Jackson Cuda 12 could be the perfect fit .Or the Coosa HD .They have been designed for slow river & lake use in mind, stable enough to stand up and sight fish/cast from . I have the Kraken 15.5 for the sea and the build quality is right up there, maybe even better than my previous Viking 440.
Oh...and the seating is damn comfortable too!  Smiley

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
When it comes to lifejacket ? PFD, if you can, try before you buy. Comfort while paddling is important. Some fishing PFDs have a higher back pad so it clears the higher ( than SIK cockpits) seat back rest. If it is a good fit you are more likely to keep it on , normal boat style lifejackets are a curse to paddle in and the inflating type ones aren't good for re-entry. ( yeah it can happen!) . Multi pockets and attachment rings every where aren't as important as fitting well.
Oh, kayak fishing is bloody great fun too, enjoy it. A good fitting and well designed paddle turns travelling from spot to spot from a chore to something enjoyable too.  Cool

IP Logged

CanadianShooter
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
i got a viking profish 400 2 years ago, amazing yak on the ocean .. i have tried to tip it but  seems impossible, highly recommended. light 5kg braid and softbait and your deadly and silent.. yak fishing def the way to go Smiley

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:55am
Print Post  
+1 for the 400Lite great fishing boat  Cool
IMO the best value deal at the moment on a NZ built  fishing/general use kayak with seat and paddle is the Pheonix Hornet. $1000 buys a well made short, light  and stable with a central  gear well ,made by guys who used to make Ocean Kayaks at Silverdale,  good UV resistant materials  etc.
( we have both the Viking 400 and two Hornets as loan kayaks in my club )  Wink

IP Logged

Digitalfish
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I have fished out of the sit on kayaks: viking profish 440, perception swing, ocean kayaks tetra 12 and sit in models: Sea Bear, North Star..   Great way to fish, everyone has given great advice - safety etc. May want to consider length - longer kayaks generally faster, it's nice to have an option for a rudder if you happen to be on a lake where the wind gets up it's much easier using the rudder than the paddle to steer with the wind pushing you round. Dry bags as mentioned are a really good idea in case you unexpectedly take a roll.

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
I have a profish fish 440 and a 13 foot hobie adventure, and have had several others, longer and narrower kayak is faster, the more beam, the more stable,
I like a 13-14 footer, and am looking at a profish 400 to replace my 440,mostly because the 440 is heavy, depends a bit on were your biased and what type of fishing, calm inland water a smaller kayak may be fine, if trolling or punching out threw a west coast surf beach, a faster kayak is a better choice.
Safety is very important, your in a small unstable craft, very exposed to the elements,
Remove any treble hooks, and put on one single, on all lures, nothing like having a decient fish, thrashing about with a few trebles, being thrashed around your fingers, or worse crutch and legs, carry a knife strapped to you at all times, do not tie on a gaff, leave it loose, or stow in the kayak, a leathal device if you get flipped out, and the waves catch kayak, and drag it past you on rentry threw the surf.
Have fun. It's an effective way to fish.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 7:35am
Print Post  
canadakiwi wrote on Mar 12th, 2017 at 6:44am:
I have a profish fish 440 and a 13 foot hobie adventure, and have had several others, longer and narrower kayak is faster, the more beam, the more stable,
I like a 13-14 footer, and am looking at a profish 400 to replace my 440,mostly because the 440 is heavy, depends a bit on were your biased and what type of fishing, calm inland water a smaller kayak may be fine, if trolling or punching out threw a west coast surf beach, a faster kayak is a better choice.
Safety is very important, your in a small unstable craft, very exposed to the elements,
Remove any treble hooks, and put on one single, on all lures, nothing like having a decient fish, thrashing about with a few trebles, being thrashed around your fingers, or worse crutch and legs, carry a knife strapped to you at all times, do not tie on a gaff, leave it loose, or stow in the kayak, a leathal device if you get flipped out, and the waves catch kayak, and drag it past you on rentry threw the surf.
Have fun. It's an effective way to fish.

Very good advice there. My wife and I bought two Feelfree Nomads. Basic little yaks not too long and fast but very stable in the water. We have added a few bits like rod holders etc and added an anchor and drogue etc. Compared to the cost of a big boat ours cost $1000 each all up with all the bits so we can store them in the shed and bring them out when we feel like going for a fish rather than having too because we spent so much money.  Grin They are really good fun and easy to transport. Great for poking in to little nooks and crannies on lakes for a trout too. Camping/ kayaking holidays are a great way to spend summer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards