Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Two Stroke or Four Stroke (Read 5528 times)
ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Two Stroke or Four Stroke
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
ICEMAN wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
wazza56 wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:38pm:
had both would never go back to 2 stroke 4 all the way

Big call Wazza

This new outboard is something special, a friend has  a 250hp  on his big Ally, performance and fuel economy is unreal, he say he  wont go back to  four strokes.

Worth having a read, just on the cleanest technology alone, never mind the best economy and lowest emissions of any other combustion outboard ever!.
http://www.chooseyouretec.com/en-us/

Even the Aussies love them
We are seriously looking hard at a 150hp E-Tec G2.
http://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/engine-reviews/2016/fishing/evinrude-e-tec...

EMMs ( engine black box or computer ) and crank sensors to Etecs are what oil seals are to old Bonneville Triumphs, you always take a spare....

seriously though mate have a good read over at E nation - theres 16 pages of jibberish to filter through. More recent years are obviously later in the thread

I know they went through quite a few issues but heard the latest motors are getting sorted and better reviews.
http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/MORE-E-TEC-ENGINE-PROBLEMS/td-p/12...

Yes, Thanks aunty.  These G2s have  been around for about 2-3 years, so gives us a chance to evaluate.

As a note,  we were looking at Honda 4 stokes until we talked to a Honda Tech and I read some reviews, but as with all makes and models there seems to be plenty of good and bad reviews on all of them.

I find its often a waste of time talking to recreational owners on their motors as they don't seem to like admitting to any failings it may have.

The commercial sector are more demanding and soon tell you if there shite.

The guy using  the G2 250hp down here is on the water alot and clocks up hundreds of hours each year,  listening to him, he is very impressed with his 2 stoke which is pushing a big solid built Ally  at speed carrying  his crew and  dive gear etc in often crappy West coast conditions.

I think the gap between the two types of outboard engines, especially on the larger trailer boats has closed to a stage where its difficult to choose between them.

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:44pm:
boowacker wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:59pm:
If you're doing the hours I think 4 stroke wins hands down. If you're just doing 50-75 hrs a year, as many are, consider the difference in price and servicing. it might be that the $k price difference is all the fuel and servicing for a few years.

what he said

we do a fare few hours each year, chasing sails and marlin year round general fishing, comps etc puts a few hours on, also a few think a 4 stroke pulls a few more billies in not sure on this myself

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
wazza56 wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:44pm:
Aunty wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:44pm:
boowacker wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:59pm:
If you're doing the hours I think 4 stroke wins hands down. If you're just doing 50-75 hrs a year, as many are, consider the difference in price and servicing. it might be that the $k price difference is all the fuel and servicing for a few years.

what he said

we do a fare few hours each year, chasing sails and marlin year round general fishing, comps etc puts a few hours on, also a few think a 4 stroke pulls a few more billies in not sure on this myself

You could be right, we found different commercial boats pulled in more tuna than others working side by side, it was suggested that some put out differing prop vibrations or different harmonics, even though they were travelling at the same speeds etc, loose electrical current escaping via the prop shaft was also discussed. Fishing aye, its a science to some. Grin

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
yes have heard that with large game boats and different engines, bit hard to judge with differing fish stock numbers etc we did ok with the first e-tec that came out and do good now with a 4 stroke so who knows. then it's ali vs fiberglass, go nuts trying to work it out just go fishing  Grin

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:13am:
Aunty wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
ICEMAN wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
wazza56 wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:38pm:
had both would never go back to 2 stroke 4 all the way

Big call Wazza

This new outboard is something special, a friend has  a 250hp  on his big Ally, performance and fuel economy is unreal, he say he  wont go back to  four strokes.

Worth having a read, just on the cleanest technology alone, never mind the best economy and lowest emissions of any other combustion outboard ever!.
http://www.chooseyouretec.com/en-us/

Even the Aussies love them
We are seriously looking hard at a 150hp E-Tec G2.
http://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/engine-reviews/2016/fishing/evinrude-e-tec...

EMMs ( engine black box or computer ) and crank sensors to Etecs are what oil seals are to old Bonneville Triumphs, you always take a spare....

seriously though mate have a good read over at E nation - theres 16 pages of jibberish to filter through. More recent years are obviously later in the thread

I know they went through quite a few issues but heard the latest motors are getting sorted and better reviews.
http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/MORE-E-TEC-ENGINE-PROBLEMS/td-p/12...

Yes, Thanks aunty.  These G2s have  been around for about 2-3 years, so gives us a chance to evaluate.

As a note,  we were looking at Honda 4 stokes until we talked to a Honda Tech and I read some reviews, but as with all makes and models there seems to be plenty of good and bad reviews on all of them.

I find its often a waste of time talking to recreational owners on their motors as they don't seem to like admitting to any failings it may have.

The commercial sector are more demanding and soon tell you if there shite.

The guy using  the G2 250hp down here is on the water alot and clocks up hundreds of hours each year,  listening to him, he is very impressed with his 2 stoke which is pushing a big solid built Ally  at speed carrying  his crew and  dive gear etc in often crappy West coast conditions.

I think the gap between the two types of outboard engines, especially on the larger trailer boats has closed to a stage where its difficult to choose between them.

that's it in the nutshell, the same with hulls.

that's probably the most intelligent thing to come out of your mouth since that time you told me you loved me fly camping up the river

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
[/quote]

that's it in the nutshell, the same with hulls.

that's probably the most intelligent thing to come out of your mouth since that time you told me you loved me fly camping up the river [/quote]

Grin Grin   I dont know what cum  over me.

IP Logged

toyz
Just Joined

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Have just got a boat with a suzuki 150hp four stroke on the back. Wouldn't consider going back to a 2 stroke now. I forget the engine is running when its idling its that quiet and it's nice to be able to have a conversation while at cruising speed.

Fuel burn wise i'm using 20L an hour while cruising at 20 knots.

IP Logged

Huntdeepsouth
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Ive got a 115hp merc optimax 2 stroke that i just love. I have trolled with it and found it only smokes when you give it herbs after i have been trolling for a couple of hours, it uses bugger all fuel too which is a bonus,

IP Logged

possumtrapper
Forum Senior

Why am i at the computer
when deer live outside?

Reply #23 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I just repowered my Fyran 440 from the 25 year old Yamaha 40 precision blend to a F40 on Friday.

Monday its going back it does not have the same power not by a long way looking at the fuel used it is useing slightly more than the 25 year old 2 stroke.

specific data:
Boat: 1993 Fyran 440
hull weight: 140kg
1x24l fuel tank
1x 600cca battery
1x fat guy 102.34kg (me)

1993 Yamaha 40V (hydro tilt and trim) max rpm range 4500-5500
weight 93kg
Prop 15" pitch
max speed / rpm flat water:  29.2kts @4900rpm
normal cruise speed / RPM: 19.6kts @ 3600rpm
crusing range on 24l tank (actual from GPS data) 106km.

2017 Yamaha F40LA (power trim and tilt) max rpm range 5000-6000
Weight 98kg
Prop 14" pitch
Max speed / rpm flat water 24.6kts @5200rpm
Speeds 13.4kts at 3600rpm / 19.6kts at 4100rpm
fuel use at 19.6kts 4km / liter

IP Logged

Whisper

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Looks like your 2017 Yamaha may be the wrong pitch prop, 15 or 16" pitch may be more suitable to give a higher speed and better fuel figures. Dealer should have set it up properly for you if bought through them.

My boat went through 3 different props and 3 different pitch types until the dealer found one that met my requirements for holeshot with good cruise speed as well.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
just re-reading this thread.

Looks like we are sold on the new G2,  having 200 less moving parts than the 4 stroke and knowing  2 strokes can run at low revs all day helps with the decision.

Doing close to 30knots while using around 27litres per hour is a game changer with halving our fuel usage and not having to carry spare fuel anymore, the 150 litre tank is now plenty.
Working on 30 lts per hour and keeping 40%  fuel in reserve we can now safely do 90 nautical miles or around 167kms per  trip.

From sifting through many reviews it appears Evinrude have improved on the earlier Etechs and having a dealership within a couple of miles helps.
I didn't find any one brand of outboard that didn't have some some issues, not surprising really with the huge numbers being sold world wide.

The end decision was formed after talking to several work/charter boat operators and Mike spending a bit of time and doing a few trips on a big Ally trailer boat working a 250HP  G2 many miles up the coast and in some nasty seas at times.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards