Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Long life bait (Read 2058 times)
bigbang

Long life bait
Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Just need opinions on what to do for bait and burley on multi day trips when cold storage is a problem. Been doing a few longer trips in the trailer sailor, including 9 days up at great barrier and have limited space for a decent chilly bin. We have been using Nuclear chicken soft baits in the recharge pack plus dry burley without too much joy. Is the salted long life bait any good?

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew.

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Long life bait
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I used to use salted bonito from Penguin or Salty Dog. Then I started catching and salting my own (actually skipjack). One good thing about that was that sometimes I caught little Albacore - yum!
Another good thing was that salted bonito (skipjack)  seems to be bloody good bait.

IP Logged

luvinit

I Love The bush

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
What about getting up early or evening before and catch fresh bait? Smiley

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
There is an outfit doing dehy squid now. Im not too sure how it goes but someone here has surely used it.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 8:12am
Print Post  
luvinit wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 5:26pm:
What about getting up early or evening before and catch fresh bait? Smiley

what he said

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

kea999
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:33am
Print Post  
softbaits fished properly are very effective don't use anything else myself best fished with the help of a fish finder , just towed at low speed you should be able to get a kahawai for bait . Could also take a sabiki fly rig or salt your own bait very simple to do . Softbaits are best fished drifting not at anchor

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I would just take a sabiki rig ( with either #6 or #8 hooks ) and maybe bait the hooks with a bit of bread or something and give that a go. Long life bait is never as good as fresh.
Take a small lure and troll it as you go and you might pick up a kahawai to use as well Smiley

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Any Kahawai I catch gets eaten!

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I have fished out of yachts for 50 yrs on longer trips etc, I personally use allot of softbaits  now but that is only really over the last 7 yrs. Other things I have tried and found some success at.

1 Ox liver, precut it take frozen keep in the bottom of chillybin lasts 4 or 5 days still works when green (stinky, doen'tgo soft) very effective on snapper less so on other species in the later stages. Be very careful with dogs around, a sick dog on a small yacht is not fun. Also use really good plastic bags drips stink. Salted Ox liver is good for about a week goes a bit tough after that.

2) Saltedbait bought or home made, works well but not if it gets rancid which allot of bought stuff seems to be however home made is great for a month or two I used to keep Icecream containers of salt use frozen bait first day then left overs go into salt for there after. We salted  pilchards when they were cheap and found that recycling the salt gave even average bait fish that extra pilchard factor, good bait tougher than normal though not as good as fresh.

3) Caught bait, subiki's cast net etc, best done in the evening after dinner at the anchorage hang a light over the side to bring them in then go for it with subiki's easy to catch enough for the day and a favourite part of the trip for many people (I take allot of newbies out)small hooks and a scrap of bait works well too. In summer bait will be generally a little soft by late the next day so keep cool as you can, I sometimes gut and or fillet a few for later and treat them extra well for an evening fish if living completely without ice (common on longer trips). Advantage is in the morning you get up early get to the fishing area and get straight into it with fresh good bait like Yellow tail, small Kahawai, piper, sprats etc. Probably best bait if combined with salting in the hot weather.

Subiki during day is sometimes good for picking up yellow tail etc though I find it difficult some years as the small snapper smash them particularly if baited.

4) My current favourite is softbaits and various slow jigs you can fit a years bait in the kitchen drawer it never goes off and doesn't stink the place out after a few days. It is also far more effective if you know how. Yachts drift 90degrees to the wind very very well and slowly without a drogue. Catch's are its very equipment sensitive so you may need to reinvest in new rod reel line etc as well as learn some new techniques. This year our cruise was 200+ miles of sailing around corromandel Mercury,cuvier and great Barrier Islands we caught heaps of snapper Kingies gurnard Porae trevally all on lures of one sort or another it was a hard year though as all the fish were from deep water. However the deep water suits lure fishing and drifting helps as I hate getting that anchor up out of deep water even with an electric winch.

I you want to find out more then let me know while I am very busy lately so may take a while I love taking people out and showing them how. Smiley

Cruising on a small yacht teaches you allot about looking after ice. Smiley

IP Logged

bigbang

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Beaker. Very informative! Do you recharge your soft baits? and use dry burley?

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards