Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) What 6x45 loads are you guys using? (Read 11025 times)
Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Re: What 6x45 loads are you guys using?
Reply #90 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
6x45 wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 12:25pm:
Mathias wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:36pm:
My 6x45 will be dusted off for an NZDA target shoot tomorrow morning. Lucky I've got a few 75gr loaded up. Myself and 2 sons using same rifle  Smiley

How'd you get on?

I had a play with a dozen 87gr Berger VLDs and the CFE223. I didnt crony them but QL predicts they would be clipping 2717fps. Was surprised how much powder I got in there and didn't show any real pressure signs (28.4gr load), could have gone higher than I did.

I shot them straight out to 200yds. Nothing to write home about in terms of accuracy. Not a projectile I will be playing with I just had a few lying around.

The rifle went really well, but the shooter was off  Grin  I need a lot more practice at the required disciplines.

We also shot some steel out to 300 with no problems (off the bipod), but 400 was not so good as I couldn't get dialed in at that distance correctly due to low sun.
Nice to use the 6x45 again.

Those VLD's are pretty long, lucky you have good throat length.

IP Logged

tman645
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #91 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Good reading thanks for all the info, my 6x45 is on a BSA mini action which I am struggling with mag fit so I am swapping barrels around and will end up with a 6x45 on a majestic action instead. Once I finish the couple of pounds of benchmark powder I have on hand I will try cfe 223 my go to projectile is the 80gr nosler ballistic tip I find it works well on the animals I shoot.

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #92 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
tman645 wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:31pm:
Good reading thanks for all the info, my 6x45 is on a BSA mini action which I am struggling with mag fit so I am swapping barrels around and will end up with a 6x45 on a majestic action instead. Once I finish the couple of pounds of benchmark powder I have on hand I will try cfe 223 my go to projectile is the 80gr nosler ballistic tip I find it works well on the animals I shoot.

Good stuff  Smiley I used to have the same BSA in 222, yeah really short mag box. I looked at a mates Majestic a few years ago and they have a better mag length for the 6x45, so good luck with the change. Be keen to see how she goes for you.

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #93 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Dont you love it when you stumble on a good load mucking around?

Had one of those today.

I've pretty much settled on H335 for the 75gr pills and CFE223 for the 85gr'ners.

I have around a pound of some 2206H and found 37 105gn AMAX Horndays #24562.

So I did some Quickload research and got out shooting. Loaded 3 different weights of 5 rnds. 23.5/23.8/24.1 of 2206H

COAL = 2.530" and they still stacked in the mag. Happy bout that. Pretty much on the lands.

The 5 shots @ 23.5grs of 2206H went into a hole I can really only measure at 6.5mm. (below) Yes there are 5 shots in there.

Average fps of 2451 sd=13.

The 23.8gr charge opened up a lot from there to 20.5mm. At 24.1 the group closed up again to 14.3mm BUT the sd was 5.4 and av fps 2505.

Hard to say no to that first load of 23.5 however. Think I will stretch this out to 200 tomorrow.

Interesting find on the Lapua vs Fed brass. I was finding the loaded rounds from the Lapua brass pretty hard to close the bolt on. Like really tight, thought it was the length, but no. Thought it might be where the case shoulder was but ran the FC brass through the same settings and it wasnt that either.

Turns out the neck diameter is 1/10mm bigger than the FC. I'm thinking that must be it. I can still close the bolt but I wouldnt use them hunting. Not a biggy for the range but.

I prob wont be venturing into shooting the 105's but considering the Sierra 95gr TMK which has the same BC. Can likely push that a little quicker.

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:35pm by 6x45 »  

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #94 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
^^ Cool Cool^^

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #95 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Turning out to be a nice little rifle. Hardy did a dang fine job on it. Certainly the parent 223 T3 never shot this good.

Like most rifles it has a sweet spot somewhere along the charge range but it certainly likes max loads. Only ever had one other rifle that shot its best when you really max'd out the loads and that was a Sako L461 222. Seems the more powder I can throw into the case the tighter it groups. I could probably pee in the case and go sub MOA.

If I did another one I would still get the 8" twist barrel but maybe stretch it out somewhere between 20-22". The overbarrel can certainly doesn't add much length to this rifle. Surprised the velocities I am getting out of the 18" now however and it sure is nice to carry around.

QL shows I am getting full powder burn out of the 18" using 2206H as well.

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #96 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
There may be a thread here for the MAP machine, I cant find it. Should be a sticky considering it is such a mint bit of equip.

Love the smell of annealed brass in the morning.

If you are using brass stamped F.C the use program "25". "45" for Lapua.

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #97 - yesterday at 3:57am
Print Post  
I think I might have to try a few 105gr in my Cooper, after seeing your results, I know a fellow up here in Canada, who shoots 100gr in his, he speaks highly of the results.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards