Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic lump on a fallows chest (Read 2528 times)
Jbanger
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

lump on a fallows chest
Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Hi there. 
I shot a fallow spiker yesterday with a lump on its chest about the size of a tennis ball. When I skinned it out white pus oozed onto the ground.  From google it's appers to be a goiter? Will this deer still be safe to eat?? Was in good Nick and was moving normally

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: lump on a fallows chest
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
I am a wee bit late on this but Goiter is found in the thyroid gland and is usually caused by iodine deficiency.
Pus is a sign of an infection , a pussy lump on a deer's neck or chest  could be caused by a wound inflicted by another deer , getting spiked on a branch etc , or even an old bullet wound .
If it is on the outside under the skin it is unlikely to be Tb .
If you cut the infection away without contaminating any meat and the meat looks and smells ok and sets after hanging and the liver and lungs look normal  then the meat is probably ok to eat . Your choice , I would probably take the back legs and back steaks and leave the rest.
Be very careful of contaminating the rest of the meat or your skin or clothes or knife . I carry a small bottle of dettol in case this happens to me .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards