Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic USA trip rethink (Read 919 times)
Gamehunter63
Donor Member

Teenager in an old jacket.

USA trip rethink
Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I was in the early process of planning a hunt/fish trip to Colorado this coming fall, but New Zealanders may now have to front up in person for a face to face interview with consular official to obtain a visa.
This should be just a formality as I have visited/transited the USA several times but I feel the 8hr round trip required to comply with Trumps new rules just makes going back to British Columbia this fall so much more attractive and not potentially subject to change.

Everything I hear and see in the bush is human until I prove otherwise.

IP Logged

Silentelk
Donor Member

Murof TunhNhsif Eht Evol
I

Re: USA trip rethink
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I am not familiar with these new rules.  Fill me in please.  I live in the US and haven't heard of them yet.  You would think I would know but its been a political trainwreck here this week.  It impossible to figure out what that megalomaniac is ruining at any given moment.  I know he and the conservative party have a huge hard on for illegal immigrants and refuges right now.  maybe it will get better.  If you need advice on Colorado, I can help as I live here.

Lifetime FWF Member.
Looking for Elk or Wapiti with a bow in tow.

IP Logged

Gamehunter63
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
A NZ news item yesterday warned that visitors to the US that are required to obtain a visa (that includes NZrs) will have to be interviewed in person by a US Consulate official rather than apply on line.
This planned change (by the Trump admin.) is to tighten the US borders.
Part of "making America safe again" I guess.
My travel agent says nothing has changed yet, but travellers are rushing to get online applications in before any change.
He reckoned it will just be a huge bottle neck and there is no way consular staff could handle it.
Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with the uncertainty of any possible changes or hassles with planning required so far out.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
So I have been thinking about a hunting trip to the US this year as well. Do we just need to front up in Wellington for an interview before we purchase our tickets? I am assuming we will need the visa approved before we go and buy tickets?

IP Logged

Gamehunter63
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:55pm:
So I have been thinking about a hunting trip to the US this year as well. Do we just need to front up in Wellington for an interview before we purchase our tickets? I am assuming we will need the visa approved before we go and buy tickets?

Check with your travel agent or send a tweet to the Donald. Grin

IP Logged

Silentelk
Donor Member

Murof TunhNhsif Eht Evol
I

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarity.  Hoping things get better with regards to travel.  Trump is single handily pissing the world off.  I figured he was just going to be an embarrassment but I suspect it will be worse than that before he finishes.  *sigh*  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on.

Lifetime FWF Member.
Looking for Elk or Wapiti with a bow in tow.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Check it again I think I saw an article where it said there was confusion over the name of the visa program being reviewed and it was a similar but different one, and NZ tourists don't need to personally reply.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/323150/new-border-rules-likely-for-emigra...

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:54am
Print Post  
But she said that anyone wishing to travel on holiday for fewer than 90 days would be unaffected.

Section from the article as per above. Thanks Stug. Looks like tourists are all ok. Just if you want to live or work in the US.

Cheers,

Sneaka

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I'm sure you'll be fine entering the US.  I think other factors will be more important to decide on location e.g. preference points (would be useful in CO), species you'll hunt and also if you using a guide (you'll need one for BC).  Good luck on your research.

IP Logged

Huk

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Everyone is having a giant freak out over Trump but he's trying to change US immigration policy to be similar to countries like Australia, Canada and NZ.

I think everyone needs to calm the f down and take a breath. The guy might surprise you.

That being said I know for a fact if you want to hunt Alberta or BC you either need to hire a guide or have a local hunter host you, which isn't a requirement in most western US states...so if you were looking to do a self guided hunt Canada isn't the place sadly.

What species were you going after? Have you started building priority points in any states yet?

IP Logged

IdahoHunter

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
There is a lot of knee jerk sensationalism going around the media. However it comes out, it is likely USA will be easier than Canada...especially if you want to do a DIY trip. Colorado is a good state, especially for opportunity at elk. Deer are more limited and require a draw. Most elk killed are not big save a few units that take a couple decades worth of points to draw...its mostly managed for opportunity so bulls will likely be young. But, there are some old bulls lurking in a every unit. A really good option if you have 2-3 points in getting a muzzleloader tag. Right in the rut. No scopes, but they shoot further than a bow and you can actually shoot through brush.

IP Logged

Gamehunter63
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I was only interested in a guided hunt and am fully conversant with the hunting rules and opportunities that exist in various States and Provinces of North America.
I'm at the hunting stage of my life where real close encounters with game are more my thing rather than killing and having another set of antlers. Pussy footing around North Americas woods unarmed I find a little scary as I've seen guys arriving back in camp after very close encounters with bears after cow calling elk, a method I love.
I've loved the close encounters I've had with wolves and coyotes.
I snuck in once on a fresh cougar kill after ravens alerted me to a kill. That makes your heart beat.   

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Gamehunter63 wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
I was only interested in a guided hunt and am fully conversant with the hunting rules and opportunities that exist in various States and Provinces of North America.
I'm at the hunting stage of my life where real close encounters with game are more my thing rather than killing and having another set of antlers. Pussy footing around North Americas woods unarmed I find a little scary as I've seen guys arriving back in camp after very close encounters with bears after cow calling elk, a method I love.
I've loved the close encounters I've had with wolves and coyotes.
I snuck in once on a fresh cougar kill after ravens alerted me to a kill. That makes your heart beat.   

Sounds awesome.  Would be great to see some photos if you have any Smiley

IP Logged

IdahoHunter

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Do you often go hunting unarmed? I'm so confused....

IP Logged

recurveaddict
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
just this week i know of a guy who had been working in the USA on a work visa for the last 12 months. he came back to australia for a 1 month holiday with his girlfriend who he met over there. his visa is still current but when they went to board the plane to fly back to USA he was refused entry. she flew home alone.

even if you have a visa it seems you are at the discretion of whoever you meet on the day.

for all the planning and cost involved the USA doesn't appeal to me at the moment either. the rules are changing daily yet a hunting trip takes months to organise.

IP Logged

1187Shooter
Just Joined

Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
This is disappointing to read... I just moved (back) to Colorado after 5 years away, and I am really looking forward to my public land elk hunting next fall. With the largest elk herd in existence, it is a sad shame to read that someone may not be afforded the opportunity to hunt because of some overzealous policies.
That being said, as a citizen of a country whose borders have been essentially wide open for so long, and with a large population of people who see no problem with letting anybody and everybody in with little or no process, it is nice to see someone finally taking a stand... however it shouldn't be at the expense of legitimate visitors like tourists, students, hunters etc.
All that aside, where in Colorado were you planning to hunt?

IP Logged

Gamehunter63
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I was in the process of evaluating outfitters with no particular area of Colorado in mind.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards