Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic third time lucky (Read 1479 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

third time lucky
Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
After our lack of success on Monday (close encounters) I felt bad having mucked up the shot after Meg did such a great job leading me in.
last night I got all my stuff organized ready for a 4am start.
alarm went off and got turned off...bugger the early start I slept in and had breakfast with the Mrs Wink
I managed to get motivated and headed away at the gentlemanly hour of midday Grin
reaching our destination 3 other vechiles were spotted up hill so that would be tops hunting out for afternoon.... suited me as it was hot and getting hotter,changed from polarfleece into polo top loaded rifle and set off into the bush.......first wasps nest showed Meg had learnt and gave it wide berth...
we stalked our way up into the cool deep beech,man what a change from the wet conditions of earlier in the week,ground was still damp but staying upright wasnt an issue thank goodness,we stalked up beside our jellyfern clearings keeping wind heading up to us but Meg just wasnt interested at all....sat down in shade of a broadleaf tree and had a wee spell before continueing on around hill,3rd smaller clearing was crossed with meg a little interested but not wanting to lead off anywhere...this happened heaps of times today and it took me awhile to twigg....fresh poohs on the ground but no air scent of animals....
we went up across rocky face and she got interested under a rock overhang with gap about right size for possum Angry Angry grrrr leave it was all that was needed and she carried on up and over ridge and down the other side.
we kept wind direction to our left as we stalked down and across face,it was weird stalking back n forwards,up and down rathe than just picking a line and moving.
a fair bit of fresh sign had us both keen but still hard to pick up a decent scent,we got lower down face and Meg got keen to head down more so on high alert we continued.........looking down there was red stag with spindly velvets looking up from about 50 yards,up went the browning and back came hammer,crosshairs on shoulder and squeezed trigger animal lept off crashing across face....SIT..SIT down went her bum...looking really hard and letting out wee wimper,shhhh sit.... my patients lasted for all of 60 seconds and we slowly set off down to where it was standing (having watched trusty222s video finn on the wind yesterday I really took time here Winkthanks bud)  got to where it was standing and hello someones been spray painting red on the light green crown fern...thats the first and only time Ive found the noisy scratchy stuff usefull Grin
I kept Meg in close and we tracked down the well splattered trail....it was interesting to watch Meg here as she wasnt interested in the blood trail at all her nose was too busy...but I followed it till she moved off it downhill about 2mtrs onto a very dead stag...... huge pat session and out with the sword to do the poohs n wees onto the outside bit. boned the front half out and put hind quarters on my shoulders,that lasted for all of 50 yards before I saw reason and boned that lot out too...slow learner this Kiwi
90 minutes of hard slow plodding saw us back at the wagon for a hard earned cuppa tea,put all the venison into passengers side floor well and stuck aircon on full blast cold for trip home.

lessons I learnt today...
trust the bitch,she has the nose.
possums are there and smell good but she will leave alone.
its funny as hell to shoot a deer while listening to cocky mowing his lawns down below you across paddocks.
its good to have a mate to help carry out venison.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Re: third time lucky
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Hey MD great stuff. Well written report and nicely described the sort of things you go through with a dog. Enjoyed reading that. So  much fun being a bush ninja with your dog. Always something happening and stuff to watch. That is why hunting with dogs is so much more interesting in my opinion. Keep em coming. Cheers,

Sneaka Wink

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Yes, that's the essence of it MD. Win some, lose some. They certainly add another dimension to hunting, albeit that they can be damn annoying at times too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:04am
Print Post  
nice.  Cool

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
went back up to same area today to kill a couple of wasps nests that have been on hit list for some time as they right where we want to walk... puffed some powder into 4 of them Grin Grin Grin had a look at our lookout point but nothing seen ,not surprising as it was 11;00ish by then. really wasnt feeling like big mishion stalk today so pointed Meg around our short stalking route and let her take lead,wandered slowly down through noisy crown fern,kept stopping Meg whenever she got more than 10 yards away and gave her calm strokes down flanks or chest to help keep her calm.she wanted to have a look over to left...so we went left,nothing doing so carried on down the fairly flat spur,hadnt gone far and up comes the nose big time...hello hello whats going on here me thinks??? she led off to right,couple of calm down stops and we carried on,me taking 3 steps then stopping and looking,kept this up for about 150-200 yards,wherever she wanted to go we went...slowly.she was at the 10 yard range out slightly to my left when I spotted a pigs snout and eye down below in fern ten yards ahead...Meg was out of line and it was definately a pig,up came .308 and 180grn hornady put its lights out,whistled Meg over as other pig or pigs took off and walked forward a couple of steps,Meg on first pig as I spotted another one moving off to my right at about 25yards Meg safe and difinately another pig up cpmes .308 again I knew shot was too far back and at whomp of hit I sooled Meg straight in on now squeeling pig. it squeeled even more when she grabbed it,she let go and bailed like a pro.HUGE pat when I got to her and stuck it,whipped out poohs n wees then got her to lead me back to first pig...yes ony 25ish yards and I knew where it was but plurry good to get her to do it. carried them both home ,murawaied the first one 40lb sow and skinned the 55lb boar ,lost a couple of cups worth of meat and both flaps off that one but not bad at all considering my crappy shot.
really happy with her preformance today thats only 2nd time she has seen pigs....the 180 grn hornady finished up at 2nd nipple after ging through head and neck (wasnt any effort at all to decapitate Wink) weighs 102.5grns
really good day considering the gentlemans hours.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards