Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stewart Island Whitetail colours (Read 1883 times)
Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Stewart Island Whitetail colours
Jan 8th, 2017 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Seen a few piebald whitetail shot on Stewart Island, and have seen a live one myself in the North Lords. But never seen one with black facial patches like the one below before. Interested in seeing photos of any unusual ones you may have come across , and whether the black markings have turned up before.Cheers.

With a normal coloured one.

Another view.

Close up of face.

A piebald skin of small buck

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Re: Stewart Island Whitetail colours
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Thats a very cool mount.  I haven't seen any whitetail in NZ, but can't wait to hunt them one day.

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I've seen a heap of Whitetail here.
Shot a pie balled one[white patches] and seen a few others but never seen one like that one.
Thanks for posting.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

jwingill
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
That's a new one to me Greg,  Google search found very few links which indicates they are pretty rare in USA.   This one is from Florida which is interesting in that they are a totally different subspecies to ours.   http://huntdrop.com/hunt/black-face-buck

Have seen a few piebald deer over years.  The first one was at Flounder Bay in the early  80's,  It was almost completly white and I thought it was a goat until it turned and jumped over a log.  I have a picture of if as it was shot by a more alert hunter a little later.  Cheers JD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards