Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Chew toys/ play toys for puppy (Read 1873 times)
Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Chew toys/ play toys for puppy
Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:21am
Print Post  
I'm not a regular reader of the dog section so this may have been cover.
I would like to know are there do's and dont's regarding toys for puppies. I remember reading years ago that some toys tended to cause a retiever to become hard in the mouth.
The pup is a very timid GSP bitch 13 weeks old, the last of the litter. I hope to use her to retrieve ducks. She is already collecting all the junk plus all the families boots and placing them near her day bed.
We are almost empty nesters so kids will have a small influence on her training. Hope some of you guy can be of help  Cheers Ackley

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Chew toys/ play toys for puppy
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
A lot of this depends on what your end purpose for the dog is. if you want to have a dog for hunting and retrieving now is the time to teach positive things so you don't have to break bad habits later on. Others milage will vary but I would stop her gathering things and stashing them you want her to share things with you.  Sticks and hard objects can cause a pup to bite down and chew things while retrieving but some trainers say not use the likes of a tennis ball as well. I have seen both objects being chewed/ mouthed by pups but not a %100 sure if they are the cause, to be safe get a puppy sized dummy (bumper) to be safe. Also don't let it chew scrag/play fight with  things you are using for training this may be fun until pup decides your duck or quail is the right toy for this. If you think she needs something to chew give her non splintery bone.

And definitely keep her away from shoes, she won't know the difference between an old shoe and a good one and sooner or later there will be grief.

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

RPowers
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2017 at 5:00am
Print Post  
This is something I have been trying to figure out.

I am training a new dog and it is entirely different personality than my last one Though it is the same bread as the last one.

Really struggling with the sharing aspect of the training as well as increasing gentleness.

Is there a way to fix this with toys and training? I assume there can be dogs that just aren't right for hunting, but I am not sure if this just a problem with my training.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2017 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Give the pup a big cannon bone cut so that they get at the marrow. Best chew toy out and creates none of these issues. Cheaper for you and tastier for the pup. Good for cleaning teeth too which is a must.

IP Logged

RPowers
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 8:04am:
Give the pup a big cannon bone cut so that they get at the marrow. Best chew toy out and creates none of these issues. Cheaper for you and tastier for the pup. Good for cleaning teeth too which is a must.

How should the bone be cut so they can get to the marrow? Just snapped in half or some sort of hotdog bun cut down the middle?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just want to try it the right way.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I just cut one end off so that they can work away at the marrow at the end. With or without this is fine. Just seems to keep them occupied for longer.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:27pm:
I just cut one end off so that they can work away at the marrow at the end. With or without this is fine. Just seems to keep them occupied for longer.

They can spent weeks sometimes on the same bone. Wonder what the marrow tastes like after all that time. They dont seem to mind.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
If only we were all that easily pleased ay. Life would be so simple.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards