Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Heap's of pussy (Read 4335 times)
10-Ring
Donor Member

Re: Heap's of pussy
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Being a keen trout fisherman, I've been told that a black cat skin makes particularly deadly night time trout flies. Every wild black cat I've shot since gaining this nugget of info seems have the mangiest, flea infested looking fur that I haven't been able to bring myself to skin one. The last one that Brno dispatched was a scrawny, especially moth eaten looking specimen with a set of fangs like a miniature sabre tooth tiger.   

Maybe town cats would be a better proposition.

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
10-Ring wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 11:22pm:
Being a keen trout fisherman, I've been told that a black cat skin makes particularly deadly night time trout flies. Every wild black cat I've shot since gaining this nugget of info seems have the mangiest, flea infested looking fur that I haven't been able to bring myself to skin one. The last one that Brno dispatched was a scrawny, especially moth eaten looking specimen with a set of fangs like a miniature sabre tooth tiger.   

Maybe town cats would be a better proposition.

no you are going down the wrong track ,heard collie skin is much better to use for trout fly's ,if one of that breed is being kept as a pet local ,a single shot behind the ear as it stops at your gate to piss should do the trick.

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
My best was a local dump in Ohakune. The old dump. 37 in 3 days.

This was todays effort. Big tom eating the remains of a turkey it killed last week.

296yards in a 20mile an hour cross wind. About a cat holdrover and 4" upwind. Bang flop. 4th one in 2 weeks.

No male cat should have its nuts intact unless it is in a cage. They dont belong on this farm or anywhere in the wild.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Most of those I shoot look to be in fantastic health. Lean but healthy with lovely pelts.  I dont want to skin one though.

Ill send you the cat in a cardboard box if you like.  Cool

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Been shooting a few of those in Gebbies Pass where I used to live. Heaps around! Was leaving them alone at first (got a fixed male cat myself) but after discovering 2 of those bastards swinging and feeding on hanging deer carcass I had in carpot overnight I declared full-on-war on them!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #20 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Leaving domestic cats aside.. the only good wild cat is a dead one Pete. They eat plenty of native skinks, lizards, and frogs. Stuff of that size.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #21 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I guess the big question is headcase, how do you tell them apart? Given they can have a range of 5km at times?

If you love your cat, keep it where you can see it. Pro tip, keeping them well fed wont stop them from killing anything they find, it is in their DNA and unlike most dog breeds, that trait cant be trained out of them.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #22 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
6x45 wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:05pm:
I guess the big question is headcase, how do you tell them apart? Given they can have a range of 5km at times?

If you love your cat, keep it where you can see it. Pro tip, keeping them well fed wont stop them from killing anything they find, it is in their DNA and unlike most dog breeds, that trait cant be trained out of them.

Around home and on farms ive worked collar = pet. no collar = dead.   tough bickies if someone dosent have a collar on their pet.

theres so many of the buggers around, some farms we shoot we can see 30+ cats a night. sux because unless you know what there kids cat looks like im to scared to shoot and risk not being alowed back.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #23 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
30 a night.  You need to talk with the station manager and arrange a night when all the pets are quarintined. Has to be well arranged but can be done.

Shoot the rest.

I shot the cooks cat on a station the manager had assured me there were no cats, and told me to shot them all. Turned out she had 4.  They are tough buggers. This one was only wounded and dragged itself back to the cookhouse. When she opened the door in ran inside and under her bed. The 2IC got a call and he went up and fished it out with a shoval and finished the job.

She was quite upset, never did get a meal offered on that station. Went up after a week and apologised. Was hit and miss for a moment whether she was going to do me with a soup laddle but I had a half dozen beer on hand and she opted for the beer.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
the 30+ sighting was only a few weeks ago HC and no station just a 1000 cow dairy farm.  the dead hole was chocka with them and lots of big rock/boulder piles that seemed to be quite an attraction as every 2nd or 3rd pile had a cat on top.

dead end road about 8km from town so I guess its a local cat dumping site,  most dairy farmers dont like cats being shot if they have inshed feeding as they keep the rats at bay.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
suppose they put a bowl of milk out for them every night.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:23pm:
suppose they put a bowl of milk out for them every night. 

not sure, most probably as the fillipinos feed the possums milk. they showed us videos of 8 possums at the back door having a feed, the owner got us to have a tidy up got 45 the first time and 28 the 2nd time all from a row of old man pines about 200m long behind the houses  Shocked

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Wow, 30.. makes my 5 in 2 weeks seem rather small. Except the ducks and other birdlife sure notice it. Only takes one cat to wipe out an entire nest. 30...hard to think what that could be doing.

I can only tell if they have collars when I walk up to them to be fair. Even if I could see them, if they are hovering around a pond or edge of a patch of native, they die.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
yea the collar things hard, usually only the close range ones in hayshed etc that you can tell and at night you just cant, if it has a collar just hide it good  Grin

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Had a boss with a family cat. Lived a few doors down. Used to come over regularly and dump in our vege patch (the cat, not the boss!). Wife put her hands in a freshy getting some spuds for dinner, and that was it. Got the .22 treatment that evening deep in concentration squeezing out a new one. Coincidentally that night each week was the night contractors cleaned out the camp of strays. "Just don't shoot any with collars" were the riding instructions
Next day boss asks at morno's "anyone seen our moggy?  It couldn't have got shot would it? Nope boss, it would have been fine, they only shoot ones without collars. Oh bugger, he says, it hates wearing its collar Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards