Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Poachers treated a little different in Trumps USA (Read 4909 times)
anchovy
Forum Senior

Just one small fish

Poachers treated a little different in Trumps USA
Nov 10th, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Huk
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Poachers treated a little different in Trumps USA
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 12:32am
Print Post  
In Canada they can take everything you used to poach an animal. Truck, guns, boots, clothes etc. I saw one report of a family poaching walleye out of lesser slave lake. Got caught with hundreds of fillets in the freezer and they seized the property.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Ya gotta be pretty stupid to take a photo of yourself poaching.
The fine system sounds like a good idea to me.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I bet the lawyers absolutely love it.......even if the client looses the lawyer still gets paid.
here in NZ that would apply to game birds and fish now and the loops F&G have to jump through to get a conviction make a grown man weep..... what the USA have that we dont have but need is a good old fashioned "hanging judge" one who will throw the book at crims then bash them over the head with his mallet for good measure....non of the wishy washy wet bus ticket that prevails now.

IP Logged

Silentelk
Donor Member

Murof TunhNhsif Eht Evol
I

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Nov 11th, 2016 at 3:49pm:
I bet the lawyers absolutely love it.......even if the client looses the lawyer still gets paid.
here in NZ that would apply to game birds and fish now and the loops F&G have to jump through to get a conviction make a grown man weep..... what the USA have that we dont have but need is a good old fashioned "hanging judge" one who will throw the book at crims then bash them over the head with his mallet for good measure....non of the wishy washy wet bus ticket that prevails now.

Well, that's a hard to say.  Judges in the USA would be all over the place.  The individual states create guidelines judges follow during sentencing.  In some cases there is federal guidelines but most game related punishments are based on individual states.  As a side note, if you loose your hunting/fishing in one state, in the majority of states you will not be able to hunt.  Believe 44 out 50 states have compact.

The Peterson article is excellent.  The Sampson elk was killed in a place called Estes park which sits on the border of Rocky Mountain National park.  Elk everywhere.  On the street, golf courses, etc.  Its ridiculous.  A huge elk that had been given the nickname Samson lived in this area and was a favorite.  A guy came in one night and shot him with a crossbow.  http://www.estesparknews.com/estes_valley_spotlight/article_fc6efca6-67ac-11e5-a...

After this they significantly increased the punishments.  They still got the guy good but would be much worse now.  Illegally profiting off of wildlife is zero tolerance in the states.  there are a few things a person can do legally when trapping.

Huk is correct.  In the US it is similar.  Anything used or involved in the illegal take of an animal can be confiscated.  Gun, bow, truck, hunting equipment.  Freezer, perhaps even property.  Likely would take property and it was have to be very egregious to take a vehicle.  Its the blatant violations that warrant these punishments.  In fact we can rewarded for tipping off the officers to poaching.  Given an extra tag or preference points for a special permit, etc.

As a side note... its hurts me to see people halfway across the world refer to it as Trumps America.  The majority of us didn't vote for that megalomaniac.  Doesn't change that we are stuck with him for 4 years and the disaster he is liable to create but hate hearing it.

Lifetime FWF Member.
Looking for Elk or Wapiti with a bow in tow.

IP Logged

blackgear nz
Donor Member

Custom thermoforming knife
sheaths

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I don't know how you could look at your Trophy with pride knowing that it was taken illegally. I guess that is some trophy hunters, the head is more important then the way they get it.

With public land access in NZ there is no real reason to poach but the draw of the easy hunt will always sway the odd hunter.

I'm a fan of bigger penalty's, it is always the few that ruin it for the majority.

Instagram blackgear nz

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Poaching in a country full of endemic game species is always going to treated differently to a unique situation like NZ, which is full of introduced species.

That said, the judiciary do seem to be out of touch with the negative effects poachers have on rural communities Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Jason Wilson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2017 at 4:32am
Print Post  
If the poaching laws were actually enforced, the penalty would be heavier than just a few hundred dollars. I've hunted in two states, and the laws there allowed for confiscation of everything used to poach, including the means to get there.

Buying a compound bow is a big deal. Before you buy, make sure youíve read reviews about the different types of compound bows available and their prices. Also, itís safe to keep it simple.
https://hunthacks.com/best-compound-bow/
IP Logged

Tatonka
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:15am
Print Post  
In Montana fines are stiff, especially for what the state defines as a "Trophy Animal".  Example, it's a $6,000 fine for shooting a trophy deer illegally.  Laws are enforced here.  Shoot a trophy animal from a public road, and you'll be paying a $6,000 fine.  Loss of license is a given.  It can be anywhere from 1 year to life depending on the offense and as stated earlier, the most states have reciprocating agreements so if you lose your license in Montana, you'll not be able to hunt in most other states as well.  We have a  "TIPS" program, which is where anyone witnessing a violation can call in and report it and potentially receive a reward for reporting violations. 

If anyone hunts or fishes in Montana, you had better study the regulations.  They are a bit complex to say the least and there are different regulations for different parts of the state, different bodies of water, etc.   Confiscation of rifles, vehicles, etc. is usually only done with the more serious violations or repeat offenders.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards