Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flying with meat??? (Read 2626 times)
Shahin
Donor Member

Always keen for a hunt
so pm me!

Flying with meat???
Nov 3rd, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Well after talking to a few people and getting mixed reviews, I have resorted to seek the guidance of this forum  Grin

I have seemed to have stacked up quite a few air points and plan to go to the south island sometime in the beginning of next year for a hunt. I've alway hunted around the north island but never the south. So my question is if I was to fly down via Air New-Zealand and become successful on a hunt for example with a sika and wanted to keep the head and meat, how would I go about bringing it back up north? Would a domestic flight have a fit at the thought of it? or would I have to some how find a car and drive back via the inter islander?

To those who are curious, no I don't know how far south I will go but will definitely will make it a must for my year.

Thank you all in advance  Wink

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Re: Flying with meat???
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Just pack it into a chilli box and put it on with ur luggage have flown with meat fish crays and whitebait

IP Logged

Shahin
Donor Member

Always keen for a hunt
so pm me!

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:07pm:
Just pack it into a chilli box and put it on with ur luggage have flown with meat fish crays and whitebait

Really? That is bloody convenient! What about a head per say? just chuck it in a large enough suit case I presume? hahahaha  Grin

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Sika in the south island. You must give me this spot x

IP Logged

Shahin
Donor Member

Always keen for a hunt
so pm me!

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Deer hunter Duck Shooter wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:12pm:

HAHAHA just realised what I said  Grin was an example but a shit one at that  Huh

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Not sure about how u would go about a head last time we flew up to fielding I had half a mutton packed in my luggage

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Shahin wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:21pm:
Deer hunter Duck Shooter wrote on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:12pm:

HAHAHA just realised what I said  Grin was an example but a shit one at that  Huh

Classic I wondered if you had done it on purpose, thought either way it was funny. Maybe as a practice run you could take some Sika down. Talked to a young fella a week ago he put his meat in a supermarket bag and then in his carry on luggage.

IP Logged

Pixie Z
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
No worries at all. I've flown from Wellington to Dunedin with meat before, & the last couple of times my parents have visited I've sent them back loaded up with venison & other meat & fish. Those ones were frozen. I just wrapped in newspaper with a frozen slicker pad. Dad said it was still frozen solid by the time they made it home.

If you've got a fair bit of meat I'd just do what the guys above have said & load it up in a chilly bin.

IP Logged

wapiti man

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Meat be fine if well wrapped up, even in a carton. It's only a few hours and if chilled or frozen it won't warm up too much.
I've carried a few kilos of meat in my hand baggage, wrapped up in newspaper, Dunedin-Wellington and still frozen 4 hours later if that helps

IP Logged

kimmi7m08
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
As above, get a poly bin from a local super market and tape up etc, both airlines have seen it all.  As long as it's not dripping and oozing they're not bothered

IP Logged

Dog Runner
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Keeps fine frozen, packed in a polybin, fill the voids with scrunched newspaper, and tape the lid. Vacume sealed is better.  We Brought 10kg of Halibut back all the way from Alaska earlier this year- no worries, Definitely not much Halibut eaten in Fiordland before!!!

IP Logged

alan and sunny
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 1:06am
Print Post  
If you use the soft chilly bins to pack the head you wont end up needing such a large chilly bin to fit it. I may have 1 or 2 that you can use and they don't take up much space. I'll check in the morning but just PM or text if you're interested. 021856550
Al.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards