Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Casting projectiles for best accuracy results (Read 1324 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Casting projectiles for best accuracy results
Oct 21st, 2016 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Muzzle loaders , unlike cartridge rifles , use pure lead bullets/balls , so no wheel weights or solder in the melt pot .

Use a thermostatically controlled melt pot to keep temperatures the same , flux the molten lead with beeswax .

Use a steel mould , alloy moulds change size as they heat up and cool down.
Over fill your mould in one continuous pour so there is a large sprue casting to be cut off , this helps stop the formation of air bubbles ., if the sprue casting slumps in the middle it can indicate a air pocket.

Weigh all your cast projectiles when cold ,and separate into 1 grain difference lots . all those spot on expected weight are used for hunting and target shooting , those  1 grain less than the expected weight could be used for plinking , all those under weight should be discarded and re melted .

commercially swaged balls also need to be sorted by weight as experience has shown they actually vary in weight more than properly cast pullets .

I am highly allergic to lead fumes so I only use swaged balls.
I recommend the use of a lead fume face mask  or better still a fume cupboard , expensive to make but healthwise worth it .

Always load cast balls with the sprue uppermost , I know one shooter who half covers the bottom of an old time biscuit tin with cast balls , gives them a spray of WD40 and puts them in the boot of his car , the rolling around, evens out the sprue.

If you are going to keep lead projectiles for any time  coat them with WD or a light bees wax, as lead oxidizes it grows slightly in dimension

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: Casting projectiles for best accuracy results
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 2:03am:
Always load cast balls with the sprue uppermost , I know one shooter who half covers the bottom of an old time biscuit tin with cast balls , gives them a spray of WD40 and puts them in the boot of his car , the rolling around, evens out the sprue.

I do the same with my cast balls... i have some small plastic containers I bought from the dollar shop which i half cover the bottom with balls so they can roll around in as I leave the containers in the boot of my car... over a period time I notice that their beautifully round and the spruce is evened out.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards