Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Leading Outdoorsman Cops DOC Vendetta (Read 2639 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Leading Outdoorsman Cops DOC Vendetta
Oct 4th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Press Release. 4/10/2016
NZ Outdoors Party

Campfire Kiwi Leading Outdoorsman Cops DOC Vendetta

The Department of Conservation is bringing a prosecution against the leader of the newly formed  NZ Outdoors Party for sitting beside a  campfire in the mountains of the central North Island.
     Alan Simmons co-leader of the New Zealand Outdoor Party is of the opinion that DOC’s motive is based on his history over years, of publicly questioning policies of the bureaucracy
     “It shows the petty nature and complete lack of understanding of the outdoors that has pervaded within the Department in recent years and its disregard the public as taxpayers are fundamentally the employers of the department,” he said. “I didn’t even light the campfire. It’s ludicrous."
     Even although DoC were aware he did not light the campfire they seemed intent on taking the veteran outdoorsman to court. Alan Simmons has over 50 years of hunting and fishing in New Zealand and was the author of a book on sika deer hunting.
      Alan Simmons said a likely motive for DOC’s court charge probably lay in his opposition to the Hawkes Bay DoC Wild animal Control Plan which was scathingly criticised by the associate Minister and ordered to be renegotiated. Mr Simmons who at that time was president of the Associate Minister of Conservation's political party, United Future, had taken a group of hunters representing clubs of the North island to see the Minister.
     Mr Simmons said he as spokesman for the Outdoors Party also confronted a DOC plan for a Taupo carp farm and on national TV and radio, criticised the Minister of Conservation Maggie Barry  which led to  a back down by DOC and the Minister.
     Hunters, fisherman and outdoors people had always been able to have a campfire for cooking and warmth in the bush since time began and for DoC to now ban this by unrealistically making the mountains of NZ a restricted fire season 365 days of the year went against the whole ethos of being a New Zealander. His only involvement was to walk up to a campfire and sit beside it. If DOC's prosecution succeeded it would make New Zealanders a criminal, whether as a family camping by a river or a fisherman or hunter keeping warm or cooking.
     "The Department of Conservation have lost their way when it comes to managing public lands,” he said.  “They’ve forgotten they’re public servants."
     Alan Simmons who operated the popular New Zealand outdoors forum “fishnhunt”, said reaction from the forum's 7,600 members had been strong over the DOC proposed prosecution..
     “Judging by the forum the vast majority are furious and a fighting fund had been offered as well as considerable legal advice to challenge DOC’s action.".
     Alan Simmons is to appear in the Napier Court tomorrow to face this charge.

Alan Simmons. Co Leader. NZ Outdoors Party.

www.outdoorsparty.co.nz

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

Padawan
Donor Member

Re: Leading Outdoorsman Cops DOC Vendetta
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
What time is Alan's court case?

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Federated Mountain Clubs have shown an interest: https://www.facebook.com/FMCNZ/photos/a.527922487253195.20962315.134573576588090...

That's good, because they have more clout than hunters. FnH gets a mention in that thread too, for a bit of circular referencing!

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:39am
Print Post  
This is a outrage by DOC ,I agree clearly they have lost their way however it didn't just happen yesterday .

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
What has happened in this case ,Alan ? have they decided to proceed to court ?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

The grass is always greener..

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
He was sentenced to three weeks fly fishing in Marlborough with conditions. He had to surrender all his matches. Pretty tough really but he's a resilient bloke and will see if through. He   Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2016 at 8:28pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

bazz
Forum Senior

QueeNZlander

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
yeah what happened..? when & what time is the crucifixion...?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

The grass is always greener..

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Nobody knows what happened, hes gone to ground. A guy like that can live a long time out in the bush without any contact to civilization. He will be eating raw fish and punga though.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
don't think its bad news

IP Logged

BC
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
The cynic in me says that if it was bad news for Alan we would have had a press statement by now. Martyrdom must be worth a few votes at least. Smiley

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
The case is up for case review 16th Dec.... so lying low until then. But I suspect they will be withdrawing the charge as they now have finally investigated it and found I was not even there when it was lit as I told them in the first place and that all I did was sit by the fire.... Ill expand more if it is withdrawn so waiting until then as I dont want to preempt anything... Basically they had their blinkers on and went after me but it just seems they got it wrong and humble pie is not docs style..!
It still does not allay the fears of hunters etc that you cant have a campfire in the bush now... and I will address that when this is over!

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 10:31am
Print Post  
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/87984073/outdoorsman-alan-simmons-fights-doc-cam...

With all due respect it appears there is another side to this story.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
There is not..doc are now trying to put their spin on it .... The facts are very clear and I would have loved to have my day in court to test this..but they have chosen not to let that happen..
It still does not clarify the situation regarding people having campfires. They are now all illegal unless you have a permit ....365 days of the year.

IP Logged

pennyless

Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:33am
Print Post  
If the comments are a fair indication of the people reading the article ,  I'd hate to have them on a jury.
Reading & comprehension is not their forte. Undecided
Should have gone to trial . The judges statement would have been quite entertaining I suspect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards