Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll closed Question: Hunting on Public or Private Land - Your Preferences
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Public - I don't know of any private hunting    
  61 (14.8%)
Public - I can't afford private hunting fees    
  47 (11.4%)
Public - it's easiest to get to    
  58 (14.1%)
Public - I like to support public hunting opportunities    
  74 (18.0%)
Public - it's the only place where I can hunt my target animal    
  23 (5.6%)
Private - I worry about getting shot at on public land    
  37 (9.0%)
Private - there are more animals    
  39 (9.5%)
Private - there are better animals    
  14 (3.4%)
Private - it's a mate's or my own land    
  42 (10.2%)
Private - it's easiest to get to    
  16 (3.9%)

Total votes: 411
« Last Modified by: Alan on: Oct 6th, 2016 at 11:31pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Private versus Public Hunting Preferences (Read 10020 times)
Davey H
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Private versus Public Hunting Preferences
Oct 1st, 2016 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Hi All
I got the feeling from talking to people at the Sika Show 2016 that most hunters hunt on private land.  I'd like to get a better feel of this is the case so would appreciate you completing my poll.

Many thanks

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Re: Private versus Public Hunting Preferences
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hard poll to answer. Both but More private because I have the access and it's time efficient, when I've only got one day of the weekend I can hunt in an afternoon easily on private land. Harder to do that on public land.  But public For Reds because there's a lot more sense of accomplishment getting a stag after walking the soles of your feet off for weeks in rain hail and snow on public land in the road. Same for whitetail, no private so go public. I'd imagine it all comes down to access.

IP Logged

Davey H
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Hi Mike thanks for this.  I'm gonna add another option "Private - concern over 1080" and move it to the hunting forum...if I can work out how to do this.

D

IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 2:10am
Print Post  
You need some more options

- I enjoy the tramping and adventure as part of the hunting experience.  No set plans, make it up depending on the day and weather etc.

- I enjoy seeing new places, trying to find the deer in these new places.

- I like to be able to decide I want to go for a walk in the morning, throw the gun in the car and go without having to ask anyone for permission.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 3:25am
Print Post  
I think I would take the 1080 one back out, as it is an invalid reason not to hunt public land. Because there is always public land without 1080, also if they do 1080 a block it opens back up to hunting later on.

Unless someone only hunts organic farms, then it would be a fair reason. Otherwise ridiculous.

I just think it has potential to ruin your results as it is such an emotional subject.

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Outdoors Party [move by] Alan.

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Public and private, private on free access only option missing Smiley

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You need some more options

- I enjoy the tramping and adventure as part of the hunting experience.  No set plans, make it up depending on the day and weather etc.

- I enjoy seeing new places, trying to find the deer in these new places.

- I like to be able to decide I want to go for a walk in the morning, throw the gun in the car and go without having to ask anyone for permission.

Agree.
None of the motives for hunting public land on the Poll, apply to me

The core reason, is the experience of being in the mountains, hunting animals that are wild. ie more wild than on private land, usually. and where everyone can have a go at them

That the majority of hunting is done on private land, is a bit sad really. what happened to the kiwi backcountry spirit?
is it because farm animals are easier? are hunters getting lazy?

perhaps they don't like to be out of their Smart phone range, cant check Facebook etc Smiley

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
On a slight tangent TH, I visited an iconic South Island high country pass a few weeks ago. Not a cloud in the sky, Views to die for. The southern alps as far as the eye could see. As I turned up I spied a young lass standing in the middle of the open area, glued to her smartphone. I stayed there for 15 minutes having lunch. Not once in that entire time did she look up and take in the view. Her mind was completely engrossed with the 2 inch by 3 inch  piece of glass and circuitboard in her hand Huh

Back on topic.  Most of my first 20 years hunting was on public land, (70's and 80's) And I very rarely bumped into anyone else. And if I did they came across as a reasoned and well balanced outdoors person type. Since then I have primarily hunted on difficult to access private land, and nowadays if I do go onto public land I generally don't feel those same fuzzies about the hunting types I bump into.....so I revert to hunting private land again. If I hunt public land I do it completely in cam, and take on the mindset that I too am being hunted, so that I don't offer myself as a potential target. I don't sit down on ridgelines to glass,  wherever possible I back into shrubs to do my glassing, I do a lot of sitting and listening, etc etc. Blaze beanies and jackets get shot  slightly more than moving bushes Shocked Shocked.....well that's my theory anyway Wink Wink

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 12:59am
Print Post  
while I hardly ever turn down a hunt on private land (no private blocks of my own). i prefer to hunt public land mainly due to it being a bit more challenging and tbh any heads ive got from private have all been tossed or left on the hill no matter the size as theyre worth nothing to me being shot on a farm.

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Also can you add

Public- Have access to private but prefer challenge of public then i can vote  Smiley

AIM  
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 1:56am
Print Post  
TH,  we finally agree on something. I think so many people do the private thing as this day and age they seem to want instant gratification with the least amount of input. I used to work with a hunting mad bloke yet would never go hunting unless it was a private block "didnt want to waste his time on doc land".
also facebook small pen*s/big ego gota have a big animal to show the world type hunters are another main reason private hunting is getting more the norm to, some just cant accept a smaller more challenging public land animal

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
TH,  we finally agree on something.

Gonehunting, great minds think alike, - sometimes Smiley

Quote:
On a slight tangent TH, I visited an iconic South Island high country pass a few weeks ago. Not a cloud in the sky, Views to die for. The southern alps as far as the eye could see. As I turned up I spied a young lass standing in the middle of the open area, glued to her smartphone. I stayed there for 15 minutes having lunch. Not once in that entire time did she look up and take in the view. Her mind was completely engrossed with the 2 inch by 3 inch  piece of glass and circuitboard in her hand

Bloody technology.
I can even send a text home on my InReach, from the deepest darkest valleys, from anywhere.
I blame Bill Gates

PS, what about, Private land deer arnt "Wild", Public land deer are
(I do realize once they know your there, any deer can bugga off quick Smiley)

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Can't answer sorry, you forgot private - because I like poaching  Grin

In seriousness though there's a lot more satisfaction with shooting an animal that every man and his dog has a chance at. For example I'd never want to shoot a stag off Poronui/Ngamatea.

Fully agree with TH's first post.

Proper hunters are those who hunt public land hunting original released genetics in most cases.

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 6:43am
Print Post  
When i think privite land i think farmland
This will piss people off, but for MYSELF i don't see any joy in shooting a deer on privite land and i don't see is hunting.
I live on a farm with fair numbers of wild deer and i haven't shot a deer here in over three years as it does nothing for me. I take my partner and father out for the odd deer and get MUCH more enjoyment out of watching them shoot.

Where i do alot of my hunting the Kawekas i very rarely see other hunters as my camps are about 4hrs+ tramp in and half of that is off the track. Most hunters are too lazy to go that far in the areas i go. I love the camping and the tramping and the whole deal of being away from it all and the rush you get from knowing anyone could shoot that deer. Shooting from a quad just dosen't tickle me. How ever i respect some people enjoy it and that is fine for me. Each to their own. I do get annoied when you see these so called hunting celbs shoot nothing but deer on green pasture, and then write big stories about it as i think it sets unrealistic examples for new hunters slugging their guts out in dog land.
No doupt this will piss someone off but it's my opinion.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards