Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 28577 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #60 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 10:43am
Print Post  

Nice to see this come alive again .......

I imagine compressing your pulverone (uncompressed powder) will only smash up your soft granules into powder/dust again .... ?
The granules in a compressed powder are quite hard and will take a hammer to smash, so will withstand compressing - to a degree anyway.
In a muzzleloader, standard practice is you merely place the bullet firmly on the powder, and you duplicate that when you're loading a cartridge case. You 'compress' when you want to cram a bit more powder in - or need to seat your bullet a bit deeper, or when your powder performs better because it is compressed.
Not all powders like it - I've heard that Swiss doesn't like compression.

I compress sometimes - but not always.
Another way of getting more powder in your case is to 'drop tube' it.
I've got a 30" tube mounted against a backboard with a little funnel at the top. The outside diameter of the tube fits loosely inside the case and slides up and down in two eyelets that are screwed into the backboard. To stop the tube sliding all the way down into the case I got an 'O' ring on the tube that stops against the eyelet - so I lift the tube, slide the case under, then lower the tube into the neck of the case.
Then I slowly dribble the measured weight of powder into the funnel at the top.
It's surprising how much more powder you can get in a case doing it this way than you can with just a funnel straight into the case.

I see you're using hollow based bullets - what diameter are they ........ for instance, are they a 'slip fit' in the barrel, or are they groove size ?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #61 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
both types are groove size so .458?? reading what wikipedia said about the old cartridge is eye opening...it held the longest confirmed sharpshooter/sniper kill untill recently when it was taken by modern gear and a .50BMG rifle!!!!!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #62 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  

Cheers mate, .458" should be okay.

You should look up the "45/70 Sandy Hook test" where an American marksman hit a six foot bullseye at 2,500 yards, then went on to shoot  at a target two miles away  Smiley

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #63 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Trying to figure out the value of an old Bolt action black powder rifle. Its a 1885 Remington Lee .43 Spanish in original perhaps unfired condition with broad arrow and NZ marking and 87 for 1887 stamped on receiver.
I`m getting the impression these are pretty rear from what I have read up but no idea of a estimated value. I also doubt the owner would part with it.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #64 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  

That's an interesting one, heard of them - but never seen one.
I know NZ bought some for its militia, but that's about all I know - and I just had a look online ..........
They bought 500 in .43 Spanish over in 1887, but the ammo gave trouble and they became unpopular and were replaced quite quickly.

They're a nice looking gun, quite modern - and I'd say there wouldn't be too many around today - and certainly not in unfired condition. Perhaps because of the ammo trouble it was never issued ?

I suspect you'd need to go to a serious collector to get a value on that. Would be a very interesting one to own - especially if you're into Metford's and Enfield's.
Be nice to own even if you're not.

Reminds me of a Colt Hartford side-hammer revolving rifle a bloke had when I was in my early twenties. Can't remember what calibre, maybe a fifty or thereabouts, but I never wanted something so much, and the bloke decided he'd sell - but he wanted a bit and I had to save.
When I finally got the money together I gave him a call, then drove into Wellington to pick it up.
He had it in a canvas bag and pulled it out for one last fondle ......... and decided he couldn't part with it.

I might have cried all the way home .........  Cry

Oh - mate had an old garage that had a dirt floor, and he decided to concrete it.
Digging out the dirt we found a rusted old gun a couple of inches under we had no idea about. The wood had mostly gone, rotted away but all the metal work was still there, so we soaked that thing in diesel and chipped away at that thing for weeks - and finally got the lock working and the bolt out. We'd discovered by then it was a Calisher and Terry and we thought it might shoot, so I made a stock and my mate being an apprentice toolmaker tidied up some bits.
I got the first shot - and I'm bloody glad I was wearing gloves, motorbike helmet and some sort of glasses - because so much shit spat out the back it tattooed my cheeks and a strip across my forehead black for about two months.

Can't do that with a Tikka .............

I have no idea what happened to that thing - mate probably flogged it off or swapped it.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #65 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  

I'll tell you about a gun I made when I was trapping. I never carried a rifle, it just got in the way - but I was seeing quite a few deer and pigs on the 'block' I had - and at close quarters too.
So I made a short barreled muzzleloading gun using a length of .45 cal barrel I had.
When done that gun weighed around 4 lb and sat in my pikau.

The first time I fired that thing, I was with my mate. I loaded it up with 70grs BP then plonked something like a 400gr bullet on top of it.
I knew that thing would 'boot', so tied it to a tree and attempted to fire it with a string from the trigger.
That didn't work, so losing patience I put on a motorcycle helmet and safety glasses and fired it over the bonnet of my Landrover.

When I touched it off, the barrel went straight up and the gun left my hand. In the process the butt of the grip had slammed the heel of my hand against the bonnet, the trigger guard had ripped open my trigger finger and the hammer had chewed a chunk out the web of my hand between thumb and forefinger.
The pain was immediate and I doubled over clutching my hand .... then that gun came down smack on top of my helmet and flattened me.
When I picked myself up, my mate was in convulsions ....... "Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha ... wish you could have seen that, Oh.. Ha, Ha, ha."

Had a really unattractive laugh that bloke, cackled like a crosseyed chook - and still does.

The only opportunity I ever had to use that thing was returning from a cyanide line on the tops of the Rimutaka's when I saw a pig way off in the distance trotting towards me. Pulling the gun out, I capped it and crossed my fingers. It was a good size pig and I could see the muscles playing under its hide as it got closer - it looked magnificent.
When It got to about six feet away I stepped sideways to let it pass, and my movement stopped it in its tracks. After a few moments eyeballing each other, it took off over the side and was gone - and I went home wondering if I should have shot it.

I eventually got a bit nervous owning that thing, so one evening I took it over the Hutt River and biffed it in a deep pool.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards