Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 19078 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #45 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I did wonder about sawdust....it sure would save some breaking up LOL.
looking at links it appears that a grain/mesh size of maybe 1mm will be ok.
time to go do some mixing.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #46 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 4:16am
Print Post  
well you are spot on with weight..... I measured how much sugar will fit in .45/70 case to about where projectile will sit when seated...4cc spoonfull fits neatly....4cc spoon of homebrewed crude smelly weighs 36grains. I guess with a little wooden dowel encouragement I might get 40-45grains in Wink

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #47 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Potassium Nitrate and sulphur mixed is harmless and so is charcoal and sulphur - but nitrate and charcoal is an explosive mixture, even without the sulphur.

A lot of Pyro guys produce a powder that has more grunt than pretty much any commercial BP powder, including Swiss - and a rep from GOEX when quizzed about it, quite simply explained that they weren't interested in making a 'super powerful' powder - just one that was moderately comparative to powders of old, and one that did the job.
Swiss as a commercial powder is considerably more powerful than Goex, and I have trialed it. It was also more accurate, but expensive - and I simply couldn't afford to shoot it.

But the name of the game here is making your own.
I did look for buckthorn, it's supposed to grow around here, but eventually decided my home brewed stuff was 'good enough'.

If you are talking your charcoal being 1mm chunks, then I would consider that far too coarse ..........

To test your powder once it's done, lay out some newspaper on your lawn on a non windy day. Place quarter a teaspoon of your powder on the paper in a slightly elongated hump - and touch it off with a long wax taper (I got some) or similar.
If you have a 'fast powder' it will flash off without burning a hole through the paper.
Another test is to crease the paper and lay a line of powder in the crease - then touch it off.
A 'slow' powder will burn like a fuse - "fizzzzzzz...."
A 'fast' powder will go - "Fwoosh' and be done with before you quite got your 'jollies'.

Tell us whether you got a 'fizzer' or a 'fwoosh'.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #48 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 12:48am
Print Post  
much much finer than 1mm.....I was talking the hole size in mesh of seive.....was an absolute PITA to get it through that so did half of it and kept moving,squashing the other half as it dried....happy enough with how it came out,looks not unlike granulated coffee.
will try another batch today with warm water rather than stale pee.....bishops might smell fine but truck drivers is rather funky on the nose Huh

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #49 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 2:56am
Print Post  
woohooo it smells like guy fawks night in my back yard right now LOL.
the willow brew with truck driver pee is a wizzzzzz but keeps going longtime
the Totara batch with water Ive just done (dried out quick) goes woosh (so much so my arse nearly went in sympathy)

the cadboard box I dried powder on burnt very nicely indeed.

when Totara brew has dried a bit more I will weigh 4cc and see what it runs at.Im picking it will be heavier . it mixed up really well,heaps easier than yesterdays effort.    47grns Wink

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #50 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
You now need to test the power of your powder, look up - "Shooting anvils with gunpowder" on You Tube.

Or - you could shoot some lead down range.
Don't quite know if you'll get meaningful velocity from a cartridge gun as you might struggle to get sufficient powder in a case - a muzzle loader would be better.
My first powders were very crude (didn't have the Internet back then) - constituents ground in a mortar and pestle then dry mixed - and I shot it like that. Mostly out of my shottie or .58 Enfield, and while velocities would have been low (that was 'fizzing' powder) that big chunk of lead still managed to bring down goats and deer.
That powder left fouling with hard rust red shiny globules in it, but from memory I don't think it was too hard to clean out - that was fifty years ago.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2019 at 11:07am by SF90 »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #51 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
The red globules in the fouling is sulphur residue . Woods high in creosote are the best for making powder with soft fouling / easy cleaning properties , not pines.
Pouring  your finished powder into  a pure cotton sports sock ( it has the required thickness )and carefully shaking it about will remove dust and graphite and will make the powder more even burning . That is pure cotton NO synthetics at all.  We used to do this with Elephant powder and definitely got better accuracy . The sock can be washed and dried between uses ,

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #52 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 10:12am
Print Post  
well 45grns of my totara brew behind a 395 grn cast is VERY mild....bit like a 1/2 oz  2 1/2" .410 shotgun load and possibly quieter....as bonus the projectiles went in direction they pointed...cases look to have not expanded/sealed well at all so will try getting more in case and try again later... the smokeless loads went well and we managed to hit rough target at 30 ish yards....I can see a heap of fun in future with this rifle insert.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #53 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck: If you are using a thrown measure of powder you will need about 2x as much compared to bought powder as the powder isn`t compressed in manufacture.
Homemade corned powder is more suited to muzzleloaders as you can throw as much as needed down the barrel.
I load equivalent to 200-240 grains thrown measure in my 58cal which is about 100-120gr bought powder.

Compressed grained powder only came along with the advent of cartridge guns.
Get yourself some young Willow alive from a riverbank 3-5 inch thick , Peel it and dry it then make your charcoal. Most commercial powder is made from Willow.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #54 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 9:06am
Print Post  
About what Tasbay says mate - your powder will have a low density and it's likely you'll never get enough in a case to give meaningful velocity.
I compress mine in a die with a ten ton jack and have been able to get 80grs weight of 2F in a 45/70 case if I slowly 'drop tube' and compress about 1/8".

If you stay uncompressed you need to start looking for a muzzleloader - and it's pretty hard to beat .58 cal.
I got a 'put together' Musketoon built on a Parker Hale stock with a 1:78" twist barrel (Tony Hawkins) and Tower lock, and that shoots patched ball and a short bullet equally well.

You can drop as much powder as you want in that, BP doesn't develop anything like the pressure nitro does.
From my Lyman BP Handbook - .58" cal; 570 gr bullet; 80 grs G-O FFg: 886 fps; ME 992 ft/lbs; 5,200 psi (lead units of pressure).
Same bullet with 140 grs G-O; 1252 fps; ME 1,981 ft/lbs; 9,900 psi (measured as lead units of pressure).

The service charge for the American Springfield and British Enfield rifles was about 70 grs powder under a 460 gr minie bullet (under-sized hollow base) for about 840 fps - and despite that low velocity that minie was very effective on man and animal.
I made a solid base mould for mine and paper patch it to a slight interference in the bore - very easy loading.

Just throwing a thought your way  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #55 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:43am
Print Post  
fitted 54grns of my totara brew in case and topped off with 415grn flat base...they have a tad more wallop than the 45 grn loads and by my gonkulations are at about 77% of old std loading so pretty happy with that...they still nice to shoot.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #56 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 10:15am
Print Post  
There you go mate, you're in the game.

Watched a mate plonk two reds a few years back with a Westley Richards .450 at 100 yards and got two 'pass through's' with only 55 grs BP. Bullet was 420gr from memory and his powder shop bought Goex.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #57 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I have a book on ML firearms used by the North American Plains Tribes and captured or surrendered . All the charges were pulled and weighed out , it seems that the average Buffalo load was about 35 grains , it shows what getting close on a horse and bullet placement can do .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards