Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Black powder and the cheap ass (Read 18065 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Black powder and the cheap ass
Reply #30 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Never heard of anyone using 28G brass before - thought you'd thrown in a typo - good to know that.
My chamber's on the big side from what I read, the .602" round ball rattles in the neck of the fireformed case - another reason I crimp in an attempt to center the ball in the case.
I seat that ball half in and half out.

I fired those 95gr Tallow loads this morning and they rattled my teeth some - so I'll back down a bit.
For some reason I can never really bring myself to shoot soft loads out of any of my old BP guns. I don't particularly like recoil, certainly not in a nitro gun, but I do put up with it in these things.
I doubt there's much happening in the way of high pressure going on - not with the coarse powder anyway.
Those RWS primers I'm using are a soft brass cup and show no deformation at all. I deform them more knocking them out of the case.

Talking about old guns I remember knocking around with a girl who's dad shot an old 12 bore M/L down the range. That was in my early twenties and I remember everyone stood clear of him when he shot that thing as smoke would curl up from the woodwork after the shot.
The barrel on that gun was so thin you could dent it with decent pressure from your thumb - the dent popping out again when you released pressure. Underneath mid way down the barrel it had pinholes where it had pitted all the way through for a six inch section and the woodwork in the barrel channel had chewed out quite deeply.
He eventually got it banned from the range but still used it for the odd bunny.
After he snuffed it his son took the barrel off, wrapped stock and barrel in a sack and turfed it at the old Wingate tip down by Taita.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #31 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:41am
Print Post  
just had to re-read this one...pure gold.are you chaps still making smoke out and about or was there a big puff of smoke as the back shed dissapeared over the horizon closely followed by the wail of sirens???

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Nah mate - just got really busy doing other stuff, besides I made enough to last me a while - and I still haven't done that range course, so can't shoot it off down there.

I did 'fiddle' with a Lee mould I got and have some hope they'll shoot okay in the Snider - and once I get to do that I'll write some more.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Yep still making it. Was down the river a couple of days ago cutting Willow trunks and stripping the bark off to let them dry before making charcoal this winter.

Got the 58cal shooting one and half inch 6 shot groups at 50yds a couple of weeks ago... Homemade powder.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #34 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:17am
Print Post  
Tasbay wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:32am:
Yep still making it. Was down the river a couple of days ago cutting Willow trunks and stripping the bark off to let them dry before making charcoal this winter.

Got the 58cal shooting one and half inch 6 shot groups at 50yds a couple of weeks ago... Homemade powder.

That's good shooting - light or stiff load and how did she go at 75yds - if you tried it that far ?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #35 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:43am
Print Post  
so Ive been thinking about this for last few days..... willow is the preferred wood to use for charcoal..... TAWA would have to be the nearest native we have...but dont see it down here in the south...so it got me thinking just what are the properties of willow that make it ideal....
as firewood it burns fast and clean with little ash or embers

so thinking about fast burning I wonder how TOTARA would go????

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #36 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:43am:
so Ive been thinking about this for last few days..... willow is the preferred wood to use for charcoal..... TAWA would have to be the nearest native we have...but dont see it down here in the south...so it got me thinking just what are the properties of willow that make it ideal....
as firewood it burns fast and clean with little ash or embers

so thinking about fast burning I wonder how TOTARA would go????

Usually its a hardwood that is used for Charcoal. Surprisingly Willow comes into that category. Elder , Grape and as used a bit in the U.S Pine are all suitable for BP Charcoal. Most manufacturers use a Willow of some type. The Charcoal ingredient of the Black Powder is actually the pivotal ingredient . Brown it right and you produce excellent powder.   

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:17am:
Tasbay wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:32am:

That's good shooting - light or stiff load and how did she go at 75yds - if you tried it that far ?

The 58 had me perplexed for quite some time till I figured the coned barrel was actually ramrod wear at the muzzle. Cut off 15mm and crowned and hey presto 12 inch groups shrunk to in many cases hole in hole at 50mts... the Buck Horn sights don`t really help but I have got used to them and actually quite like them now.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #38 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 9:02am
Print Post  
did about a litre (ground)of willow in my fish smoker on the BBQ on Sunday...took a fair while to cook and even longer to mill with head off sledgehammer and old meatdish,my arms got good workout Grin some is brownish so hopefully got it about right.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Had to laugh about the 'coned muzzle' story, but see how it could easily happen.
Once you had the idea in your head it was built that way it'd be pretty hard to shake.

When it comes to charcoal I suspect there's a number of woods that'll do a reasonable job - like balsa and reeds are supposed to make a really good charcoal - along with others as mentioned here.
Don't think I ever read where someone did a study on NZ timbers for that use - there'll be some good ones.

Willow is the wood of choice for a lot of guys deeply into pyrotechnics - just do a search on how far some of these guys are shooting a golf ball with their 'home made' - those guys are nuts, but get impressive results.

Your charcoal if you smashed it up long enough will be gritty, like sugar or salt granules perhaps.
I mill it to the consistency of fine flour, or 'air float' - and I think I remember that being important.

What I suggest is you get a large round hard plastic wide mouth jar and half fill it with ball bearings, nuts, lead balls - or similar.
Then spoon in some of your charcoal to 3/4 full, button it up and let it roll around the floor of your truck for a few trips.
Have never tried it ...... might work ?

I probably wouldn't worry too much with the sulphur or nitrate - and whatever you do - don't do it with charcoal and nitrate mixed together - you'll have a potential bomb.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #40 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 11:19am:
Had to laugh about the 'coned muzzle' story, but see how it could easily happen.
Once you had the idea in your head it was built that way it'd be pretty hard to shake.

When it comes to charcoal I suspect there's a number of woods that'll do a reasonable job - like balsa and reeds are supposed to make a really good charcoal - along with others as mentioned here.
Don't think I ever read where someone did a study on NZ timbers for that use - there'll be some good ones.

Willow is the wood of choice for a lot of guys deeply into pyrotechnics - just do a search on how far some of these guys are shooting a golf ball with their 'home made' - those guys are nuts, but get impressive results.

Your charcoal if you smashed it up long enough will be gritty, like sugar or salt granules perhaps.
I mill it to the consistency of fine flour, or 'air float' - and I think I remember that being important.

What I suggest is you get a large round hard plastic wide mouth jar and half fill it with ball bearings, nuts, lead balls - or similar.
Then spoon in some of your charcoal to 3/4 full, button it up and let it roll around the floor of your truck for a few trips.
Have never tried it ...... might work ?

I probably wouldn't worry too much with the sulphur or nitrate - and whatever you do - don't do it with charcoal and nitrate mixed together - you'll have a potential bomb.

Had bought the CVA a while ago and it would group very well then for some reason throw the odd shot up to a foot out at 50yds. I struggled to figure it out, tried different powder, patch , lube, ball combinations but nothing seemed to fix it. It had a nice coned barrel as well. I finally contacted the guy I bought it off and asked had he bought it new and had he coned the barrel. He said he had bought it new when he was in Africa and built it from a kit. Had never coned the barrel. Cut 15mm of the end and crowned it and hey presto no more flyers and good groups.  Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #41 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 8:15am
Print Post  
coffee tin of totara (dead branch on tree in section) took 1hr 45 minutes of cooking and was still throwing out flames from coffee tin..as it settled down I turned off the heat...will see tomorow if its done and indeed if there is anything left in tin to crush.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
conclusion...Totara charcoal is MUCH MUCH harder than willow..... took a heck of a lot to crush it to powder but it is done now and looks pretty good to my untrained eyes.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #43 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 5:21am
Print Post  
hard case...the sulphur and nitrate arrived packaged in single courier bag with zero labeling....couldve been interesting if van had caught fire Grin Grin

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
The Swiss probably make the best black powder currently made , they use Alder buckthorn wood , have a look at this for grain sizes etc . http://www.blackpowder.ch/powder/shooting-powder and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frangula_alnus
and http://www.nzflora.info/factsheet/Taxon/Frangula-alnus.html, I have a mate who has it growing on his farm here in Marlborough , it is a bit of a weed .
You have to remove all the bark off any wood you use for charcoal , also if you chop the wood up or use twigs it will be easier to produce the required results .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards